The Venting Thread

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Back to work tomorrow :( Having two 4-day weekends in a row is making it reallyyyy hard for me to accept I'm back on my normal schedule this week lol.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Yes he did and that's very sad for those who knew him but this is a pet peeve of mine. Paul Walker was a nationally recognized person. That doesn't make his death more important or more meaningful.. You just don't hear about the other guy as much because most people didn't know him, recognize him or have a connection to him. His death IS recognized by the people who knew him, met him, the community he lived in. It just seems like celebrities get all the "glory" but it's just because they are more widely recognized.
The vast majority of the country didn't *know* Paul Walker. They'd seen him in a few movies, that's it. It's not just that celebrities are more widely recognized, it's that we have a disturbing cult of celebrity worship in this country. Just think of the massive secter of the media that is devoted to them-websites, tabloids, TV. Honestly I don't see how backlash against that trend is a bad thing.

Saeleofu

As if it couldn't get worse. One of the people with a new "pit bull" puppy has a friend who commented with "you should train it to be a service dog. That's what I'm doing with my red nose pit so the apartments can't say anything about it. " I cleaned it up so It's readable. And so family friend responds "I'm planning on doing the same thing. "

Really?
GGGGGGGRRRRRAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! Let me at 'em? Pretty please? :wall: :wall: :wall:

Saeleofu

This dog is being advertised as a perfect service dog candidate. I don't care how awesome his temperament is, his structure is AWFUL and he's just asking for a couple torn ACLs. When I pointed this out, the rescue's reply was "A solid regular diet and exercise is all Si needs to make sure doesn't have ACL problems."

BULLSHIT. If this dog is trained as a service dog, I GUARANTEE you he will have to be retired early due to torn ACLs. Or, if he's very unlucky, he'll have to work through the pain of torn ACLs and not get retired when it happens. No diet in the world is going to change how straight his legs are.

I HATE that rescues try to push dogs for uses they're not right for. Ugh. Why not just place him as an awesome pet? Why push him as a service dog candidate?

Grab

Do they perhaps mean a therapy dog? Some rescues do not seem to understand the difference between the two.

Saeleofu

Do they perhaps mean a therapy dog? Some rescues do not seem to understand the difference between the two.
No, they mean service dog. It's an org that does rescue and SD training.

His rear is pretty straight, but how is being a service dog going to predispose him to ACL problems compared to normal existence?
Being a service dog is physically demanding. The amount of walking a service dog does alone is more exercise than your average pet gets in a day. Add in any tasks the dog does, and it's going to increase the chances. But more importantly, it takes a lot of time and resources to train a service dog - we're talking years. Then you have a nicely trained service dog that's a ticking time bomb for its knees to blow out, and then it has to be retired. What if you train the dog, and 2 months into working it blows out both knees? Then you wasted 2 years training a dog you got to use for 2 months. It's stupid to take that risk. And I've seen all too many people continue to work a dog after an ACL injury - without doing anything to fix it, even - simply because they can't afford to get another service dog or for whatever reason can't get another dog. It's an all around bad situation.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I am in such a pissy mood right now. I woke up to over a foot of snow on my car, which is awesome. I love snow, but Tyler did not tell me so I woke up to surprise and then while I was cleaning off my car my drivers side whipper blade snapped off. I tried to change the passenger one to the drivers side, but it won't budge. I called into work to tell them I am going to be late because I have to go buy a new blade and the boss told me the roads are just horrible and its not worth coming into work.

Gah, I am just mad that because of this I am not making it into work. I do not like missing work. But at least I get to craft all day and cuddle the puppies.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I'm definitely sick. I haven't been sick since I stopped eating processed foods and gluten. Thursday night my throat started to hurt... I didn't sleep well that night because it hurt so bad. Friday, thankfully, the throat stopped hurting and my nose started to run constantly. Saturday I wasn't feeling much better. Sunday I was out running errands and had to pull over into Target's parking lot and spit out the mouthful of mucus I had just coughed up. This morning it's all kinds of mucus and lots of very, very painful coughing.

I guess I should be glad I skipped the sinus infection and went straight to bronchitis???

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
In the past month or so, my anxiety has been rising to the point now where it's starting to affect everything I do. :/ It's as bad as it was six years ago. Worry and fear cloud every single thought and experience that I have. I force a happy face and a cheerful disposition, as much for myself as for everyone else... but this is near crippling at this point.

I'm starting self-help today and seeing what a few weeks of holistic approach and CBT theory does for me. If not, after Christmas I'll go to therapy again.

I hate this.

Grab

My car died. Again. Maybe an alternator..who knows. It died at 12:30 in the morning, when I was driving my non-sleeping child around. So, I got to walk home (thankfully only about 5 blocks) in the freezing cold, in flipflops, in my mildly unsavory, no streetlight having neighborhood. Fun times. Fun times. It's off to be looked at and, hopefully, fixed.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Grrr. The plumbing in our rental is being weird and even though we told the landlord that we had already tried several products to remove clogs she is resisting calling a plumber. We really, at this point, between the plumbing and her being weird, want out of here, but we have a lease until June. Grrr! Also, *sobs*

Also, two of Doom's litter mates have dropped dead without any obvious cause in the last three months... they have owners who are too stupid to go find out what did it... I'm queued about Doom, and I don't even know how I would present that to the vet... "well, two of his brothers just died within a short span with no warning. I just want to make sure my dog isn't going to randomly drop dead too." I don't know what to have tested or anything... and if I lose another dog any time soon, I will probably lose my **** and start killing people. I can't do it again. :(

JessLough

Love My Mutt
My birthday is in 15 days. I want to spend it snow tubing, but I know that won't happen so I want to go toboganning. Because why not. Except all my friends have real jobs that make them work on the day, because it's a tuesday.

I'm also grumpy tonight and have a funeral/service tomorrow and wednesday. Plus, my ferret's abdomen is twice the size it was two days ago. Bleh. Week can end now, please.

Members online

No members online now.