The dog my parents said no to

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
When I was about 11-12 I was just getting into my rebeliouse stage learning i did'nt fit in with other kids I had ALWAYS been an outsider as had been my bestfriend Sarah. I wasent too bad at this point 14 was when I went to the halphway house for a month. Anyways one day after my dog chores in the summer instead of staying after and doing "house work" I snuck off on foot wanting to visit my friend Sarah who lived in the city. Now it wasent too big of a walk but it was unheard of of a 11-12 (i think I was 12) taking off with out saying anything. This wasent the first time i had done so so im sure it wasent too bad.

Anyways I was staying off the roads for safety reasons and so I was walking through yard, pastures, and bits of woods. Almost to Sarahs house I noticed something white-ish laying on the ground in front of me. When I got closer i could tell it was a Dalmation mix of some kind the size and coloration of a dalmation but with long floppy ears but a dalmations face he was funny looking. He had a badly broken leg and was whining at me with pleading eyes. I ran to Sarah's and she and I talked one of her brothers into driving the dog back to my house. I knew I was already in deep for sneaking off but maybe because of a dog my parents would forgive and forget.

We pulled in and my dad had his rage face on and my mum just looked worried. After some screaming at me for being so stupid and running off I got to speak and just said there was a dog with a broken leg and could we help him? My parents agreed to have a look at him. Right away my dad wasent all for it it wasent a husky and so to him it was worthless. My mum on the other hand was more compassionete and said we could take care of him until he got better my dad then cut in with then he's out of here...... So with that we moved the dog soon to be named Singer from my Sarah's brothers truck to the backseat of my parents car. I was not aloud to go to the vets office as punnishment for running off and had to stay home and do the "house work" I missed out on.

Singer ended up being more beat up then he looked he broke his right hind leg pretty badly broke 4 ribs, and a fractured him he also had some scrapes and such he was definatly hit by a car. The good thing was that he could stay with us until he was all better :) . I truly thought he would live with us forever.......

Singer was bannished to the basement by the heating tank on a pile of old blankets and quilts (my dad really did'nt like him). I once asked when Singer could come upstairs and my dad told me when he could climb the stairs would be when he would be well enough to go. We named him Singer because when he barked he had that usual dalmation kind of high pitched bark and he howled quite alot the hound in him my dad would say rolling his eyes. My mum and I doted on him my dad, sister, and brother all did not feel for the long eared dalmation mix.

Turned out when Singer was well enough to climb the stairs it did'nt mean he was well enough for a new home. He still had a bad limp and was fairly weak. I offered to walk him more often other then we he needed to go out but my dad said there was no need in getting attached he already had a home all lined up. The summer passed beautifuly with Singer and the Huskies to keep me company and out of trouble. By september Singer was almost fully healed and was now spending more of his days roaming the property losing his limp more and more. He wasent aloud to wait with me at the bus stop because once he tried to follow the bus and I did'nt want him hurt again. So mum would have to hold him back in the kitchen to his displeasure. But he always there after school waiting for me at the drive when the bus would pull up you could see Singer laying at the end of it sprawled out snoozing and then when he heard the air breaks of the bus he would pop right up wagging his tail and entire body with it.

He was the only other non sleddog on the place other then Hope and I loved him. By November he was pretty much healed he manuvered his around the ranch like he owned the place and was evening running. Finally one day i came home from school and there was no Singer in the drive waiting for me.... Fear struck me and I ran into the house crying my mum simply replied with "you know it would'nt last Scarlette after all we never said YES" it was true. But it still hurts and hurts to this day when i think about that dog I found early july all those years ago. I was never allowed to know where Singer went or how he life turned out after us and I don't think I want to know.

All I do know is he had a major impact on my life he taught me that non-working dogs on a farm can work out too if not I may not have Zeus, Tundra, or Babe. After losing Singer i also went deeper into my depression the only time I was happy was when I was around the sibes and that was limited. So many factors come into what Singer meant to me. I will never forget him.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am sorry they did that..that sucks. For him as well as you. Glad you found him and i hope they sent him to a decent home.

gapeach

Big Mutts
I'm so sorry, I hope he found a good home. They could have at least let you say goodbye to him. Being a kid had some really sucky times, huh? Same here.

IlUvMyAnImAlZ05

Cats&Dogs r what I live 4
Hello,
I am very sorry. A while ago i came home and it was a Fri. afternoon and i had just been ice skating. My friends came home with me. My mom and my sisters were at the macanics house geting are van fixed and my dad was at work. I walked back to my room and i saw my sisters dog Hope but i did not see my dog Honey! Well then i thought he might've been with my mom and sisters. They arrived home and Honey was not with her!!! I said weres Honey? She replied I'm but we gave him away to the macanic who is good friends of ares there whole family is good friends with us. My mom had gave him away without me saying goodbye thinking it would help me not to cry so much. Well it didn't. She had to give him away because her allergies were allready so bad with all are furry critters and so was my sisters allergies they were terrible but they wre still takin allergy medicine it didn't work! I was so upset for about 2 months and was crying all the time and barly eating. The family who took him would call and email my mom like everyday and say how is Amanda doing which is me and my mom would say she is still crying. Well the mother in the family asked her son is that ok if we give Honey back to the Stewarts which is my family and he said i guess but was not happy well then he said no and yes then no then finally he saud yes!!! And Honey is back with me. Allthough i did feel very bad for them to give him back.
There are so many people who deal with this all the time it is not fun to deal with. Me and my family foster dogs from are local shelter that have been abused,abanden,or that just don't have a home cause there home could no longer take care of them. Well we had puppies one time we fostered them and there mommy because there owner was older and could not care for them. We watched them for about 4 mos. and they were so sweet. It was so hard to get rid of them and all the other dogs we have fostered 2 of the dogs we fostered and found homes for we now have no way to reach them because the phone number changed on one of the puppies we fostered and the other was given to another home!
I miss all of them so much.
We ended up keeping one of the puppies we fostered she is still doing great her brother which we fostering now the owners family has a girl that is my age and were are now great friends. When was this that you gave your sweet Dalmation away liek what year?
I am so sorry about the Dalmation.
Mandy

Finally one day i came home from school and there was no Singer in the drive waiting for me.... Fear struck me and I ran into the house crying my mum simply replied with "you know it would'nt last Scarlette after all we never said YES" it was true. But it still hurts and hurts to this day when i think about that dog I found early july all those years ago. I was never allowed to know where Singer went or how he life turned out after us and I don't think I want to know.
What a sad story. And he was such a nice looking doggie. If i knew my child loved a dog that much it would stay come h#** or high water. Sorry for your loss.

mrose_s

BusterLove
actually that reminds me of something, when my mum was a kid, she had a pet goat, she came home from school oneday and her dad just loaded her up with all the others and sent her away.
it was her pet? I wish u could have said goodbye to Singer

Barb04

Super Moderator
Singer looks so handsome in that picture. I'm sorry you didn't have a long time with him and don't know what happened, but always keep him close to you in your heart. I just know Singer knew how much you loved him.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
He looked such a cheerful character! I'm sure your parents sent him to a good home! Although they didn't love him i'm sure they wouldn't have sent him anywhere horrid!!
He will always be in your heart and you know you did your best for him, so that is a little comfort!! He knew you loved him! You can see that from his face!!

Members online

No members online now.