The Venting Thread

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Pap smears don't prevent cancer. If you're going to get cancer, you're going to get it regardless of whether you get pap smears every year. Pap smears just screen for it.
Yah... I'm fairly sure I didn't say they prevent cancer.

Edit: that made no sense. Basically, what joce and them said.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thanks. I'll call and see what they say. I dont think they will give you birth control without a papsmear though.

It is very common. They estimate maybe even 5-10% of women have it. It is the most common cause of infertility.
Do you know if treatment/medication/whatever they do for it helps your chances of fertility? I am fairly sure I have PCOS (have never really had regular periods, and usually don't have them at all) but I haven't been treated. I have spoken with my dr. about it and am hoping to have a papsmear (OMG I'm so scared!) when I can afford it.

Saeleofu

Do you know if treatment/medication/whatever they do for it helps your chances of fertility? I am fairly sure I have PCOS (have never really had regular periods, and usually don't have them at all) but I haven't been treated. I have spoken with my dr. about it and am hoping to have a papsmear (OMG I'm so scared!) when I can afford it.
There are tons of treatments, and plenty of people with PCOS have kids. The cheapest, simplest treatment is metformin. Even if you don't have insurance, it's on most $4 drug lists. If you are trying to get pregnant, there are other medications and supplements that can be added in as well. I just haven't researched that because I'm sort of happy to be infertile lol (not that I've ever had or ever will have sex, but still...if I get raped, my odds of getting pregnant are slim to none ;) )

Last edited:

Airn

For what it's worth, I just went to my doctor and he said it usually (as in half of the percentage that has it: from 10% to 4%) after the age of 25-30. He seemed very unconcerned with me being able to have children. Granted, this was my first appointment with him and he did not do a pap smear, but it seemed more of a "I've seen this a lot and it's just not a big issue" instead of "You have no idea what you're talking about. Here's some BC."

There are so many options these days and, for me, knowing that this might not be a lifelong problem helped a lot. Even if it is, serious cases of infertility seem rare. (Of course I'm not a doctor so take all of this with a grain of salt.)

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Of course I have insomnia the night before I have to wake up early to exercise a horse and drive 2 hours to a dog meetup. Awesome. Great start to my extra packed weekend.

DJEtzel

I'd Much rather deal with going in for a pap smear every few years than cancer. Just sayin'.
Definitely every few years. Just not every year for me.

The age they say you should start is 21 and I've been getting them since I was 16, my doctor said at this age the chance of something developing and spreading/growing too much to be fixable in a few years span between Pap smears is about zero. As I get older he says he definitely recommends them because it becomes more and more common.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
There are tons of treatments, and plenty of people with PCOS have kids. The cheapest, simplest treatment is metformin. Even if you don't have insurance, it's on most $4 drug lists. If you are trying to get pregnant, there are other medications and supplements that can be added in as well. I just haven't researched that because I'm sort of happy to be infertile lol (not that I've ever had or ever will have sex, but still...if I get raped, my odds of getting pregnant are slim to none ;) )
Yes there are lots of treatments for having children. Check out soulcysters.com forums. There's lots of stories there about PCOS and pregnancy and PCOS and.... everything else.

Met is the most common drug and chlomid too.

For what it's worth, I just went to my doctor and he said it usually (as in half of the percentage that has it: from 10% to 4%) after the age of 25-30. He seemed very unconcerned with me being able to have children. Granted, this was my first appointment with him and he did not do a pap smear, but it seemed more of a "I've seen this a lot and it's just not a big issue" instead of "You have no idea what you're talking about. Here's some BC."

There are so many options these days and, for me, knowing that this might not be a lifelong problem helped a lot. Even if it is, serious cases of infertility seem rare. (Of course I'm not a doctor so take all of this with a grain of salt.)
A lot of doctors will shrug off PCOS, unfortunately. It's really NOT a minor deal, at least for a lot of people who have to deal with side effects. However, there are a lot of doctors that just don't know much about it or will tell you to just walk 15 mins a day. :confused:

It is very frustrating and I know I'm not the only person frustrated that has it.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I know someone who had PCOS, she wanted kids (eventually) but doctors told her that it was unlikely she would ever conceive & there was "nothing they could do for her". Her periods were very irregular & unpredictable ... She is now 8 months pregnant, so it is possible to have kids with PCOS.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Definitely every few years. Just not every year for me.
I think there is literature out there now saying that pap smears every 3 years is just as effective as catching cervical cancer early as a pap smear every year.

This is an article about it:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/14/health/brawley-cervical-cancer-screenings

And considering I developed a bad UTI after my last pap smear...I am most likely going to request I have them done every 3 years from now on.

ETA: Still think it is perfectly reasonable for doctors to want to perform a physical exam yearly, especially before prescribing any medication. (And I have no issue if that physical exam includes a pelvic/breast exam.)

My rant:
I'm hot, I'm tired, I have a headache because the stupid dog doesn't understand how to play without barking his idiot had off in the loudest booming barks possible, and I don't get a day to relax tomorrow. Also, it is supposed to storm on Wednesday, the ONE day I have off to go tan.

BOOOOOOOO.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
My phone will NOT hold a charge. I've switched outlets, cords, everything! It will not hold a charge and it's only a few months old! It's under warranty which is fine, but there was a lady I wanted to talk to about Talon and now I can't call her! :( I feel wholey unprepared for tomorrow. :(

I hate it so much when someone has a problem, asks for help finding a solution, proceeds to veto every single suggestion you make in rapid succession, refuses to participate in helping to come up with solutions, and then wrings their hands in angsty woe about their terrible unsolvable problem and wonders what they should do about it and why won't anyone help them.

Whut.

ETA: The inevitable end of this sequence of events is me asking "Well what the F&@k do you want ME to do about it?" and then I'm a big meanie.

FG167

I hate it so much when someone has a problem, asks for help finding a solution, proceeds to veto every single suggestion you make in rapid succession, refuses to participate in helping to come up with solutions, and then wrings their hands in angsty woe about their terrible unsolvable problem and wonders what they should do about it and why won't anyone help them.

Whut.

ETA: The inevitable end of this sequence of events is me asking "Well what the F&@k do you want ME to do about it?" and then I'm a big meanie.
I have nothing to say except LOVE THE SIGGY!!!

Saeleofu

Whut.

:hail: :hail: :hail:

There's a certain person on my Facebook that does this ALL THE TIME. "I have x problem. Pity me. What am I going to do." Well, you could x, y, z, 13. "No, no, no, and no. You don't understand. Nobody understands. Pity me."

:wall:

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I woke up this morning at 5:45 and it's freezing. Gah, I do not want summer to end. Still freezing at 7.

I woke up this morning at 5:45 and it's freezing. Gah, I do not want summer to end. Still freezing at 7.
Right now, I would LOVE some almost freezing temps. This weekend we had a festival and it was mid 90s and humid...hot but doable. Today, tomorrow and wednesday its going to be around 100 and SUPER humid, no breeze. GRRRRR. I want fall temps.

Members online

No members online now.