Switched to raw... what about their teeth?

Doberluv

Well, I finally bit the bullet and decided to try some raw. I have steered away from it for so long, even though I was thinking it would be better. But there were too many things about it holding me back. So, I decided to try some pre-made, frozen raw stuff. It's called Nature's Instinct or something like that. (have to go downstairs to double check) I started with the venison formula and they did fine on that. So when I went back to get more, I bought that one and the duck and alternate them for variety. They love this stuff.

I don't notice anything better about their teeth or coat or anything. They did just fine on Taste of the Wild, it appeared. But Chluita's poo is really quite like pebbles. It's too hard. So, some meals I give her TOTW which I keep here too. But I don't mix the raw and kibble together. It has to be separate meals or even separate days. Then they soften up a bit. So, maybe I need to be adding some pumpkin or green beans or something. (?) They both scarf this stuff down in about 5 seconds. Love it.

Now....I always heard raw makes their teeth better. But isn't that just when it's raw, meaty bones? The bones that they can gnaw on? This stuff is all ground up into a patty. So far, their breath still is quite odoriferous. Of course Jose`'s occasional score on a piece of poo doesn't help. I don't see all that much plaque and the vet said it wasn't bad. I am using that tooth gel stuff that is suppose to help. But the trouble is, I'm not very disciplined about doing it every single night. So, do you know if it's the chewing of the bones that help their teeth or is it just because it's raw? I'm guessing it's the former.

Anyhow, it's quite expensive, but I figured since they don't eat much, it would be okay. Do you think it's going to make any difference in their health?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
What helps the teeth is the gnawing with the raw meaty bones.. chicken quarters, turkey necks, pork ribs are all great places to start! The larger the chunk of meat, the more they have to work at it to really chew :D Whole chickens really give our little guys a WORKOUT lol they self-regulate (only eat as much as they should) soo we just leave them with whole animals and let them work it out.. lol they are so tired for HOURS after! Plus, we've had GREAT IMPROVEMENTS with their teeth! My moms bichon especially, it's like night and day

Plenty of people to kibble with raw meaty bone supplements for teeth. I do full raw but if I couldn't that's what I would do.

Toller_08

Dance does eat a fair amount of ground raw and her teeth are better than when she was fed kibble, but only because raw food doesn't seem to stick to her teeth as much. But she also gets a lot of bones and yes, that is the only way you're going to see any real improvement/maintenance when it comes to getting and keeping their teeth nice.

Doberluv

Okay. Thanks for your advice. That gives me something to really chew on. But then I'm back with the same reasons I was balking before. I will have to re-assess the situation though. Love the comments. I need to do something better for them.

Kilter

Neck bones are great, or anything like that you can find. The ground raw won't work as well on the teeth but isn't as wearing as bones all the time.

That being said, my golden lived to 14 eating raw, lots of bones, even at the end, and never needed a dental....

It may take a few months on raw to notice big improvements as far as breath etc. goes, a few weeks won't usually be enough time.

Gypsydals

Dober, for the size of your guys, you could go with chicken wings, thighs, necks and feet. Those should be about the right size for them to chew on. It does take a while to notice the effects of the raw meaty bones. And their poops will be firmer than on kibble. If they are too firm, it might be the ratio of meat, bones and fat in the premade stuff. You can add a bit of pumkin to a feeding to soften it up. And on raw (with no kibble) you might see a decrease in Jose` eating poo.

Doberluv

Thanks Gypsy. I might try that. That would be great if Jose` wouldn't get any poo. I usually go right behind them and clean up right away, but sometimes I don't and figure on getting it in an hour or so when I have my shoes on or something. But then I might forget where it is and Jose` scores. LOL. The only thing I hesitate about is feeding them these things in the house. I did try it once and they learned really quickly (pretty well) to stay on their newspaper to eat. But then one of them, I think Chuli started choking and gagging on a bone. It was chicken wings I think I started them on. That freaked me out. In summer it might be okay. They could eat outside. So, I don't know...sometimes I think I want to do it, then all that raw stuff in the house, the fear of them having problems with bones etc holds me back. Chuli doesn't have very many teeth. Jose` inhales is food and hardly chews it at all.

What I might do is continue with the pre made and give them a big knuckle bone to gnaw on for their teeth here and there. I bet they'd have more difficulty breaking off any hunks with that. What do you think?

Thanks for your input.:)

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
Remember, dogs don't chew like we do. They just chomp chomp swallow. They will sort of "hork" things back up in part swallow, chew once or twice more then swallow. That is normal. They will do the same with boneless as well. Just be sure to give a cut of meat that is large enough to force them to have to chew before swallowing. The bone issue is normal in the begginning, as far as being nervous about it. We raw feeders have all been there.

Members online

No members online now.