Root canal versus extraction?

Pomp

So one of my beagles has a fractured tooth, the molar way in the back. It's a tooth that seems to be quite functional for a dog. Vet said we could either do an extraction or a root canal. Is one option better than the other?

I had just an extraction done on my dog... I think the same tooth your talking about.

About a month later now and he has healed perfectly and is eating normal and everything, it doesnt seem to affect him too much.

It is really a personal decision and no decision is the right one but Ill tell you the reason I chose extraction.

A root canal is not a guarantee that an extraction will not be needed in the future. I didnt want to put him through the pain of surgery only to have to do it again soon.

Critter had the same tooth removed...doesn't even notice.

I agree with PM...I'd hate to have to put a dog through that twice if the RC doesn't work long term.

Pomp

Thanks for the responses so far. My wife just sent me a picture of the fractured tooth. It's the tooth on top with the big dark mark. Those are the roots.

Pomp

Ok..I was just told that he can get a root canal, but only service dogs get crowns.

???

I would just go with the extraction. as in the future it may still needed to be done any way. id get a tooth cleaning done as well, since he will be under getting it done, instead of putting him under twice (if its possible)

Pomp

Thanks, I'm just concerned that it's an important tooth he uses for chewing. It's a pretty big tooth.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Ok..I was just told that he can get a root canal, but only service dogs get crowns.

???
I don't know where that info comes from. Any dog can get crowns. Most don't because they do OK without it and because crowns are seriously expensive.

The extraction should be fine. I was worried about it with Morgan, and the same night she was eating and playing with toys with no issues at all.

Pomp

I don't know where that info comes from. Any dog can get crowns. Most don't because they do OK without it and because crowns are seriously expensive.

The extraction should be fine. I was worried about it with Morgan, and the same night she was eating and playing with toys with no issues at all.

Weird, right? What's the point of getting a root canal if there is no crown put on?

About a $700 difference between the extraction and the crown. Like I said, I just want to make sure he could still be the toy-ripping, meaty bone destroyer that he is.

Pomp

Update for those following along...

Spoke with the vet. Said extraction is the way to go. Root canal would only be for aesthetic purposes.

Good. And as mentioned by another member, have a teeth cleaning done and anything else while he's under. Molly had her ears cleaned out really well because she has deep hairy ears, also had them clip her nails while she was under. The vet even asked if she had any mats I wanted removed (she didn't have any). They didn't charge extra for these as they were minor and quick, they wanted to take advantage of the opportunity when she wouldn't be aware.

Members online

No members online now.