How often to bathe

Sam (the puppy in my avatar pic) is about 12-14 weeks. I adopted her from a pound on July 3rd. I was wondering how often I should bathe her? Everything I read says about once a month on a short haired dog like her but she gets sooo stinky. I know she's still a baby and she sometimes urinates in her crate when we are gone (you can tell she tries not to but sometimes she just can't hold it) so i know she rolls in it and thats part of the reason she smells. We take her outside to play a lot and she gets all dirty also. I am currently bathing her once a week and her skin hasn't been flaking much i think because I use a spray on conditioner after her bath. but as often as i bathe her she still gets sooo stinky between baths. I have to fight the desire to bathe her more often than I already do because I know it isn't good for her skin. As she gets older will she stay clean longer? That has been my experience in the past. In the meantime I need some tips on reducing the stink. I guess she's just a typical hound.

Last edited:

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
You just need to find a good shampoo, then you can bathe her as often as needed. It is better to bathe her than to leave her with urine on her, and hounds do seem to be a bit more stinky than some other breeds. Check out http://www.earthbath.com/

showpug

I like to bathe my dogs once a week. As already said, you can really bathe as often as you want as long as you are using a gentle shampoo intended for dogs. :)

bubbatd

I used to give a bath about every 2 months to my Goldens , Ollie about every 6 weeks as he has more oil . I've sworn by Lambert Kay's Fresh N Clean ....after 3 weeks they still smell sweet !!

Where do you get it. I am using some tearless dog shampoo from walmart. I has a very light fragrance. I haven't ever seen a single flea or tick on her since we got her but should I be treating her for them anyway? I used a one time sample of advantage from the vet when I first got her. What do ya'll recommend?

Members online

No members online now.