Biting Sleeves?

Silver_wlf

Hello All!

I'm hoping for some help and advice.

We aquired a lab/dane cross last March. Mom told me puppies were tough, but he was awful. He bit all the time and seemed to prefer chewing on us than playing with toys. I chalked it up with normal "mouthing" behaviour (since I had no experience with retriever breeds before) and kept on with some of the ideas that I had found on-line. (Yelping, replacing me with toys, etc.) Slowly but surely he stopped biting us, however, we're still having a problem with the sleeves.

He will grab sleeves if you're wearing a long sleeved shirt. He immediately lets go if he gets an arm without sleeve. He will drop his toys onto your arm so he has the opportunity to grab a sleeve.

I know it's an attention thing, and I've tried replacing the behaviour - but it's not working well and I'm not sure what to do anymore. When I say "No!" and ask for a sit or a down he will eventually follow the command but then he'll bark at me.

We're in advanced obedience and he's wonderful on-leash or off leash while we're training. It's just when he feels left out (like while I'm typing this) that he starts this behaviour. He also does it when I'm getting ready to go outside with him (which right now entails boots, snowpants, jacket and mitts).

Any advice that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mine do it, but only occasionally so I don't really have to work on discouraging it. Yours might benefit by NILIF training (Nothing In Life Is Free). The theory behind it is that your dog has to earn everything, whether it is meals, treats, petting, any kind of attention at all.

Less inclusively, have you taught him "drop" or anything like that yet?

I know when Shiva was getting compulsive about putting her big, heavy paw on my arm everytime she wanted my attention (like every other minute) I stopped her by just looking her in the eyes. She'd drop her eyes and drop her paw and lie down. When she asked for attention in an acceptable (non-painful!) manner, like nudging me with her nose, I'd give her a little pet or speak to her.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
victor does that too..but only when we are playing he will lie his head on my arm and grab the cuff of my shirt and just hold on. Sometime i need reminded that they are just as important as whatever else i am doing..and it is time to take a break. He is not complusive about it tho. Nor does he tug, he just holds on a little bit. Don't know what whould help you train the behavior out..how often are you taking dog breaks?

Silver_wlf

Thanks for the information! I'm glad we're not the only ones.

We have been working on "leave it" but it's not solid yet. It's better outside with toys than inside with toys.

I want to clarify - he IS being sassy when he does it. I know he's playing but it's not pleasant and sometimes he inadvertantly pinches.

It's not as though he's left ignored for hours... It's if I sit for 15 minutes at the computer or if I'm not quick enough getting my things on. Maybe it is that I've encouraged him by always being available and now he's unimpressed when I'm not. Hmm.....

Members online

No members online now.