Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

milos_mommy

Allison, I hope you're having the baby as I type this!

What is/was in everyone's hospital bag? I guess now that I'm 37+ weeks, I should maybe pack one. There's like 100 different lists on the internet, though.

Taqroy

Allison I've got my fingers crossed for you!

My bag was kind of random cause we packed it half an hour before we left for the hospital. We had phone chargers, the laptop, the tablet, pajamas and a change of clothes (for me and Matt), hair bands, snacks for Matt, change/dollar bills for vending machines, toiletries.....I think that's it. My parents brought us a sleeper for Falon when they came to visit.

Bring your own ibuprofen. They charged me 8 dollars for 600 mg which is kind of ridiculous.

Those of you who have nannies for your kids, rather than sending them to day care, I have a few questions. We need to hire a nanny because I'm going back to working full time starting Monday (Jon will be off Monday so we have basically until Tuesday to find a nanny OMG.) We prefer a nanny to a daycare because she is NOT vaccinated and WILL NOT be and the daycares I've looked at here want the kids vaccinated. Ugh.

Anyway, what would you pay a nanny for a 9-5 job with one extremely well behaved kid?
What do you expect a nanny to do? Is it appropriate for a nanny to be cleaning etc?
What do you look for in a nanny (age, experience, etc)?
Do you provide health insurance etc for a nanny?
Do you leave a list for your nanny of what to do in case of ___________, what times to nap, snack, etc? If so, what all do you put on it?

I'm freaking out a little bit here, this feels crazy to me!!!

CaliTerp07

Anyway, what would you pay a nanny for a 9-5 job with one extremely well behaved kid?
Here, nannies make between $4-500 per week (less if the family is providing room and board). Families generally take out taxes and give at least 2 weeks of vacation and health insurance as well. $15-20/hour for less than full time work.

It is very popular here to do a "nanny share" where you find another family with a kid or two and split the cost.

I would imagine the cost outside of DC is less though, but it's a ball park range. Craigslist here is very popular for nannies and housekeepers, so I'd peruse those ads to see what people are charging/offering and the responsibilities expected. You don't have to actually contact anyone, but it's a good starting point to get an idea.

jenv101

Bite Club
Everyone send Allison all the Chaz vibes you can spare! I'll leave the detail sharing to her but her little one is in NCiU (doing ok right now, but it sounded like a scary entrance to the world). Thoughts prayers and vibes would be appreciated I'm sure!

milos_mommy

Oh, I'm sorry to hear the little one had to go to NICU, but glad she's arrived and is getting the care she needs. I've been wondering about them all morning, thanks for the update, Jen

Thanks everyone. I'll post the whole story eventually but basically after two hours of unsuccessful pushing, my midwives called the OB who determined her head wasn't going to come down and I needed a c-section. I had labored all night drug-free and was pushing like nobody's business but it just wasn't happening and something didn't feel "right".

When they pulled her out, she was healthy and pink but had meconium in her mouth which she sucked into her lungs. She stopped breathing, her heart stopped beating and she required 12 minutes of CPR and is now intubated but trying to breathe on her own.

We need to be transferred to a hospital with a NICU once we find an available bed for her. The neonatal team from the referral hospital is here assessing her now.

It's so strange to think that I'm a "mom" but I haven't been able to hold her or feed her or do more than hold her hand.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
OMG that sounds terrifying! Continued positive thoughts/energy. Thanks for giving us the additional info; I know you'll update us when you can. (((gentle hugs)))

Taqroy

Falon got her 2 month vaccinations today and she's so sad. Every time she moves her legs she cries and then she tries to curl up and that moves her legs and makes her cry more. I feel so bad for her.

Members online

No members online now.