The magic of editing - share some of your before and afters!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
When I'm using my DSLR, I shoot almost exclusively in manual, and RAW when I can. While I do my best to tweak setting as I go, a lot of times I get a great photo that's just a bit too dim, or off-colour, or a little less sharp than I like.

As my photos have probably shown, I've gotten really into the "development" aspect of digital photography in the past year or so. I enjoy seeing what little tweaks I can make to my photos to make them stand out more, without detracting too much from what I was trying to capture.

I know I've had convos with a lot of you about photo developing and editing - let's see some before-and-afters! Below are a few I did of Finn in the yard tonight, as well as some developing/editing I did on the spot to a few old favorites.

With Finn shots, I usually try to focus on bringing out his eyes and markings - sharpness and warm colours. This photo was pretty good on its own, but a bit of sharpening, colour brightening and tweaking really makes it pop.

This photo of Finn and his tiger Skinneez (from Jessie!) really needed some TLC. Bad lighting where Finn was standing combined with the camera settings made this one dim and dull, despite it being sunny through the trees when the photo was taken. For this one, I played around with the exposure a little, and upped the contrast some. I also warmed it up and did some spot sharpening.

Similar to the last photo in terms of existing issues and the developing tricks I used. I used a bit higher contrast on this one, because I like the "pop" it gave the photo. Slightly lower exposure, too, though I might have liked it higher.

Even my favorite photo I've ever taken received a few tweaks. Mostly exposure and tone.

The photos in this set were very challenging. They were all taken on my living room sofa, with a McGuyver'd lighting and diffusion setup. The lighting wasn't as bright as I'd have liked, so I had to resort to using a high ISO... the photos came out quite grainy. I used sharpening and luminance filters to filter out some of the grainyness. I also boosted the contrast and tweaked the colours and tones for a real studio feel. These made me want to practice more with indoor shooting.

I use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3, BTW. It's a bit of a hefty price tag, but no other software compares to it. Every professional and serious hobbyist digital photographer should try to save some money and invest in it!

Share some of yours!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
This one I mostly just screwed around with the saturation a little bit, upped the contrast a hair; I was shooting for a "magazine" feeling:

DSC_1778 by Stephanie Owen/CrazyDog Photography, on Flickr

Taylor by Stephanie Owen/CrazyDog Photography, on Flickr

Again, played around with the individual saturation a little, going for a softer effect, which also helped to bring out her face:

DSC_1837 by Stephanie Owen/CrazyDog Photography, on Flickr

Riley4 by Stephanie Owen/CrazyDog Photography, on Flickr

Did some spot cleaning, zoom/crop, took out that annoying antenna on top of the montain, upped the contrast and a bit of saturation. My camera rather faithfully underexposes and likes to change the exposure all on it's own.

DSC_1815 by Stephanie Owen/CrazyDog Photography, on Flickr

RT4 by Stephanie Owen/CrazyDog Photography, on Flickr

This is going into the Colorado Pug Rescue 2013 calendar, so I edited out the leash and ducks for a much less cluttered picture, upped the saturation/contrast a hair.

DSC_4144 by Stephanie Owen/CrazyDog Photography, on Flickr

Costume Winner Capt Pug Sparrow by Stephanie Owen/CrazyDog Photography, on Flickr

The first three pictures were all done with Adobe Elements, the bottom with CS5. I've got a copy of Lightroom but it won't load properly from the disc, but I do hear a lot about how awesome it is.

Dekka

Just try me..
I usually don't keep my originals (I dont' have that much space lol)

But here is an example of my tweaking (I took a pic I didn't really like and played with it)
Before

After

Some don't need much like this one
Before

after

_IGP3424 by ~Dekka~, on Flickr

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Looks good!

Zoom, I love the punchy colour in those shots, and the muted Riley shot!

Dekka, that second photo is one of my faves of yours. The edit job is really nice!

kady05

Man, I just went through and deleted a ton of my original files the other day! I don't edit *too* much, just throw them in Lightroom then into CS5. But I have this one..

which turned into this:

Probably my favorite picture I've taken of Sako so far, it's so "him".

Love all of these edits shown though! I'd really like to get better with removing leashes and other objects from pictures. I *can*, I'm just not amazing at it yet.

Members online

No members online now.