How to make him stop peeing in my home

Dobepip

I have a 2 months Dobe puppy, he pees in my home many times a day, what can I do to stop him peeing in my home ? Please help

Thanks

When you're home with him, you'll need to keep a close eye on him and take him out at regular intervals. When he pees outside, praise him like crazy - you can even give him a treat sometimes, not every time, but just often enough that he likes his odds of getting one. I'd save the treats for times when he waits the longest between potty trips.

When you catch him peeing in the house, take him outside to finish immediately. Realistically, you may not be able to stop him mid-stream, but if you rush him outside he'll start getting the idea.

Remember, a puppy that young doesn't have a lot of bladder control or capacity yet, so you'll need to take him out often. If you're going to be gone for awhile, take him out immediately before you leave and praise him if he goes. Keep him in a puppy-proofed room - maybe a kitchen or bathroom - and restrict his water while you're gone. If it's more than a couple of hours you won't want to leave him without any water at this young age, but don't leave a full bowl. I put newspapers in a corner by the door for mine when they were babies because it just isn't fair to expect them to be able to hold it for very long when they're that young, and it does teach them to go in a specific place. Putting the papers near the door keeps going to the door in their minds.

The same thing applies at night. Just be sure to take him out last thing before bed and then immediately when you get up. As soon as he pees outside in the morning make a HUGE deal out of it.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how he's doing. Creature Teacher Emma will probably have some more ideas for you, too.

Members online

No members online now.