Kennel cough vaccine?

Fran27

I'm going to have to kennel my dogs at some point this year, so I need to take them to the vet for the kennel cough vaccine. Does anyone know if it's just one shot or you have to come back for a couple boosters? Thanks.

Fran27

Ok awesome, thanks for the quick reply. My vet doesn't do this one by default, so I'll just have to ask for it when I take Boris back to the vet next month... I was just worried I would have to go back twice afterwards or something, which could be a problem if I have to kennel them before May.

I am going to be bording my lot in May and I have contacted a few kennels and they have all said that its not something that they say has to be done, so i guess as with a lot of things it depends on where you live

Julie

I am back again.
As far as I know the kennel cough vaccine is dropped into the notrils, not a shot.

Maybe there is something new out, but that is how Rocket recieved the vaccine.
And it was only once, but she is due again.

Edit:VACCINATION OPTIONS:

There are basically two options for Kennel cough vaccination: injectable and intranasal.

Injectable is a good choice for aggressive dogs, who may bite if their muzzle is approached. It provides good systemic immunity as long as two doses are given after age 4 months (with an annual booster). Injectable vaccination may only lead to less severe infection and not complete prevention.

Intranasal vaccination may be given as early as 2 weeks of age and immunity generally lasts 10-12 months. (Usually this vaccine is boosted annually.) The advantage here is that the local immunity is stimulated, right at the site where the natural infection would be trying to take hold.

It takes 4 days to generate a solid immune response after intranasal vaccination so it is best if vaccination is given at least 4 days prior to the exposure. Some dogs will have some sneezing or nasal discharge in the week following intranasal vaccination. As a general rule, nasal vaccination provides faster immunity than injectable vaccination.

Parainfluenza, Adenovirus type 2, and canine distemper, all members of the Kennel Cough complex, are all covered by the standard DHLPP vaccine, the basic vaccine for dogs. Adenovirus Type 2 serum also immunizes against Adenovirus Type 1, the agent of infectious canine hepatitis.

Hope that helps, I learned some too. lol
Julie.

Last edited:
It is best to have the vaccine (Bordetella) done about 2 weeks prior to boarding your dog. The vaccine is also not a guarantee that your dog will not get "kennel cough" as kennel cough is like our version of a cold or flu and there are many different strains of it. Also please be advised that there is a new dog "flu" going around that can be fatal. You should look into whether it has hit your state or country yet.

Pam

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The good thing about the canine flu is that it still seems to be mostly confined to the costal racing circuits where it was first identified. The dogs that are at the highest risk are the very old, sick or very young. Other than that, it's not been that big of a concern, at least where I'm at.

I don't have much to add about bordatella shots, other than some places make you get it updated every six months instead of a year. My vet gives the injectibles as it's just quicker and easier.

Fran27

My vet said they do it every year instead of six months. Not sure why. Either way, it's required for all the kennels I have looked at so far.

Thanks for the info!

Members online

No members online now.