Another food question, I think my kibble might be bad, opinions?

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Fiancee thinks im crazy when i told him that i think the food i bought (NV Prairie venison/millet) might have something off with it. It doesnt have a rancid smell but the smell is kind of 'off' not the normal dog food smell. I tested it on my folks shepherd mix that eats ANYTHING & she didnt even finish it, Josefina is not really eating it very well either but she has always been a little wishy washy on eating kibble. Buddy is still eating it tho, but he is a garbage disposal & will eat poo if i put it in his bowl so he isnt really a good way to test dog food :/.

the batch of the same food before this they ate with NP, at first i thought it was the venison raw (which actually had mostly lamb in it) but after Yumi wouldnt eat it, i am beginning to think there is something up with the food. I got it from a store in Houston, but i dont live there anymore & it would be impossible to get back there since i now live about 150 mi from houston now.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Take it back, I'm guessing they are going to expand their recall to the venison as well. We had a customer return one last night that, like you said, was just off.

I let my rep know today.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I can't take it back , the store I bought it from is all the way in Houston about 3 hrs from us lol, I can call them tho, as for the food of i cant get it back to the store what should I do?

Also does this mean I should switch companies entirely? I was happy with this company :(

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Easier said then done, fiancée thinks I'm being paranoid about the whole thing... Guess I have been over protective about them since Izze's accident back in feb but sometimes I know he thinks I get a little over zealous about it.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Contact the company. They may issue you a refund or a voucher for a store closer to you. Though the last time I had a minor issue with NV they never got back to me..

Saeleofu

Contact the company. They may issue you a refund or a voucher for a store closer to you. Though the last time I had a minor issue with NV they never got back to me..
I second this. Being that they're in the middle of a recall right now, they may be more likely to get back to people in a timely manner so they don't lose more customers.

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
Easier said then done, fiancée thinks I'm being paranoid about the whole thing... Guess I have been over protective about them since Izze's accident back in feb but sometimes I know he thinks I get a little over zealous about it.
If your instinct tells you something is wrong, it probably is. Follow your feelings. I would contact the company and in the meantime switch to something else. I have learned in the past that that little voice in your head knows more than you realize!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Contact the company. Don't feed the food. The customer ended up with projectile vomit from her dog after a couple days of feeding it.

I'd switch to something else until they get everything under control.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I agree. Contact the company for a refund. I know when Diamond had refunds, they would send you out a check.

Take it back, I'm guessing they are going to expand their recall to the venison as well. We had a customer return one last night that, like you said, was just off.

I let my rep know today.
That's what I was thinking, they just had a recall of another food (from the prairie line) that had very similar reports, it seemed as though the food for unknown reasons was spoiling well before the expiration date.

I can't take it back , the store I bought it from is all the way in Houston about 3 hrs from us lol, I can call them tho, as for the food of i cant get it back to the store what should I do?

Also does this mean I should switch companies entirely? I was happy with this company :(
CALL! First, it's nice to report it to the place you bought it so they know, second if someone else had reported a similar incident they may let you know so you'll know if it's just you. And I personally will not at this point stop feeding it myself, although my guy is on the LID instinct Lamb. I just got a new bag yesterday, still finishing the last bag up that's about half gone, but the one I'm on now that the first one were find to me, no bad smells that I can detect.

THIS!!! I found a tiny piece of green plastic extruded into a piece of kibble in my first bag, nothing I though was major as it was far to small to choke on or cause obstruction (the kibble itself is tiny!), but the bright green stood out so much I thought I'd post a picture on facebook, that's when people started to egg me on to contact the company about it, so I reluctantly did and they did offer me a voucher for a free bag, I declined actually and just said that people told me I should let them know so I did. Call me stupid, the food is so crazy expensive I probably should have gone for the voucher, but, whatever.

JacksonsMom

I read about their Instinct food also having a bad smell on another forum recently.

And they recalled that other formula of Prairie already for a bad smell.

If it were me, I'd just toss it.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
i called the store i bought it from & gave them a head's up, i now live in san antonio which is about 200 mi from houston :/. the owner is a very nice man, when i explained it as being 'not exactly off but not right either' he came up with 'is it a almost like a metallic smell?' & i instantly said 'yes'! thats the best way i can discribe it also. he said it was a bad batch of fat in the food.

question now... what do I get now? I like the way foods like Merrick, & Evo look on paper but i know that Merrick has had probs with quality control in the past (tho i have fed it in the past with NP, even picky Izze wouldd eat it. it was back when they had their black 'before grain' packaging) but the good thing about them is they are local (Texas) so the food might be fresher. Evo i know is made by Nutura foods which is owned now by P&G.

Please help me LOL which food would you recommend??? if neither of those. I need something grain free high in meat & protien for my skinny minny, Josefina :( regretfully i cannot do raw right now, I just cant, my financial situation would allow it right now so i need the kibble form of the 'next best thing'.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Merrick just did a HUGE overhaul on their foods and honestly it is now something I would feel comfortable feeding.

Can you get Fromm where you are? Other options might be Earthborn Holistic, Nutrisource/Pure Vita, Canine Caviar, erm....lol

Saeleofu

If you're in Texas you ought to be able to find Victor pretty easily - they're based in Texas but are slowly spreading and stuff is finally becoming available elsewhere. I am in love with this food. I just switched to the Salmon grain-free variety about a month ago and it's amazing. both dogs are super soft and shiny. Logan has NO dandruff at all for the first time (usually if you scratch his butt there's a bit of dandruff but now there's nothing...I'll be interested to see what happens at shedding time when his dandruff is at its worst). Both dogs look and act better than they ever have before, no skin issues, no diarrhea or pudding poops, nothing. They also have a grain free high-calorie version with 42% protein and 22% fat. It's too rich for my dogs, so I stick with the other grain-free varieties which are around 32% protein and 15% fat. I also pay less than $35 for a 30 pound bag.

Scroll to the bottom for the grain-free formulas: http://www.victordogfood.com/

Dog food advisor: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/victor-grain-free/

Thought the plant that manufactures NV was in/near TX? I don't have my WDJ next to me so I can't check right now.

Merrick just did a HUGE overhaul on their foods and honestly it is now something I would feel comfortable feeding.

Can you get Fromm where you are? Other options might be Earthborn Holistic, Nutrisource/Pure Vita, Canine Caviar, erm....lol
I saw that too! When I was trying out Merrick when Enda first became "picky" and put her nose up to everything, I noticed they changed the food BIG TIME, had these nasty artificially looking colored bits instead of the freeze dried real food chunks they use to have, and then she got rotten ears, BAD rotten ears on it. I gave a compared look over the new and old ingredient lists (because as of that point they were still packing the new food in the old bags with a sticker label over the front about the new colored bits) and I was horrified by how badly they filler filled the new food! Needless to say I lost all faith in the company at that point, their explanation on their website to those changes were that the son of who was running the company at the time wanted to help "improve" the food...bleh, that worked out, not! I first noticed the newest changes when someone posted the newest ingredient list for their "basic" variety and I noticed how much better it looked from the "changed" Cowboy cook-out recipe that made Enda's ear dirty. It wasn't till I was at Petco the other day when I finally got to see how drastic they've changed. I hope it really is better now, but I'm satisfied with what I'm feeding now so it'll probably be a long while before I try any of it. One of the biggest problem I have had though with their grain free line, for the cost, why does it have poultry in EVERY freaking formula?! Ugh.

But I also would recommend Earthborn too if you can find it, can't remember where it was made, but for quality of food it's a good one, they are up to now 4 grain free formulas I believe?

Members online

No members online now.