My Dog Won't Eat!!! HELP!!!

I just got a 1 1/2 yr old Westie. His breeder didn't have the room to take care of a few of her dogs, and since she had 2 studs, she sold us Scout. He is the most wonderful dog I have ever met, he follows me everywhere and is quiet and well behaved. The only problem is, she fed him, along with all the rest of her dogs, add-ins in addition to the kibble, such as fresh organic boiled or grilled chicken tenders, ground beef, farm-fresh eggs at breakfast, cheese for a snack, and vanilla ice cream for dessert, and home-made spaghetti with meat suace 2 x a week. The dogs seemed healthy, but I think that they would be better off being fed just kibble. She did not research to see what home cooked foods would constitute a balanced diet. Anyways, I do not want to spend all my time cooking gourmet meals. The kibble we bought him is very high quality, but he will not eat it due to lack of chicken. He has not eaten for 2 days now. The first week we had him, we kept him on his original diet, to reduce stress. We then began feeding him a little more kibble and a little less add-ins. When it was all kibble, he just stopped eating. Any suggestions on how to get him to eat? I don't want to continue cooking expensive gourmet doggie buffets, but I also don't want him to starve.:confused:

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
First, what are you feeding?

Second, don't panic, I physically and mentally healthy dog will NOT starve himself!

If you don't have time to cook gourmet, the easiest thing you can do is mix an egg, crushed eggshell and all, into his kibble to entice him.

Some dogs are going to manipulate you to get what they want so don't give in just because you think he'll starve. If you are feeding a high quality kibble and he's turning it down, he may know there is something in the formula he's allergic to. Did you ask the breeder what kibble she fed with the add-ins?

bubbatd

Slowly wean him down to what you want to feed . He won't starve !

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Actually, feeding just kibble and nothing else can lead to other issues down the line. I feed a very high-quality kibble but do supplement with healthy things like chicken or raw meaty bones.

Give him time to adjust. It took my Aussie almost a week after I brought him home at 18 months before he would eat, even with putting an egg on his food.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Those are add-ins that insure the dogs are getting the nutrition that they need. Either way, a dog will not starve themselves, atleast not a healthy dog.

What everyone is saying is true. A healthy dog will not starve itself. As my husband has always said,"they will eat when they hungry". When I brought Lucky, our hound mix home from off the roadside, she wouldn't eat at first. She was obviously in a house somewhere where she ate scraps or something. When I put her food down and started cooking our supper, Lucky danced all around at my feet like she was thinking I was cooking for her. then she still wouldn't eat her food but as soon as one of the other dogs left ANYTHING in their bowls, she gobbled it up. Finally, I started taking their bowls up as they got done, so she couldn't rely on eating theirs. After a night or two of that she figured it out and now she eats her own at their feeding time. All dogs will eat when they get hungry. They may be picky eaters, but will eat and not starve.

The breeder was feeding Nutro, but apparently that stuff is not good. I am now feeding him Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, an organic kibble with only human grade ingredients. He is not allergic to any of the ingredients in CS. He eats it fine, with the addition of chicken or eggs. I have found out today that if I put a slice of American cheese on the bottom of the dish before the kibble, he will eat most of it. I will try the egg. Thank you!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Add a little hot water to get the smells going and create a bit of gravy :)

Actually, feeding just kibble and nothing else can lead to other issues down the line. I feed a very high-quality kibble but do supplement with healthy things like chicken or raw meaty bones.

Give him time to adjust. It took my Aussie almost a week after I brought him home at 18 months before he would eat, even with putting an egg on his food.
Do you use raw egg or cooked? I'm thinking of trying that. We have a surplus of eggs...15 a day from our laying hens, who we feed organic layer crumbles. It would be nice if I can crack and stir an egg, and just pour it over the food. Is that ok?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Do you use raw egg or cooked? I'm thinking of trying that. We have a surplus of eggs...15 a day from our laying hens, who we feed organic layer crumbles. It would be nice if I can crack and stir an egg, and just pour it over the food. Is that ok?
Mostly likely raw eggs.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Raw eggs; cooking destroys the essential nutrients. Just start with one a week and work your way up from there. Many dogs aren't accustomed to having to "work" to digest their food anymore and it can take a bit to get them up to a properly working level.

Members online

No members online now.