aussie owners

aussie<3

I will be getting my bundle of joy Sunday morning. I am super excited!!! I just wanted to know if any of you had any tips on house training and crate training. I will crate her when I am not able to supervise her at all times to avoid any accidents in the house. I am going to use a jingle bell on the door and praise with treats when we ring the bell and when we potty outside. I have done tons of research on the breed and understand they need plenty of exercise and I plan on obedience with possible agility. I haven't decided on that yet. I have a friend in the animal medical field that suggested this breed and she currently owns 3 and is really into agility and is trying to get me started. I attend with her occasionally and It looks like super fun and a great way for me to stay in shape as well :p Anywho, I am rambling...Is there anything else I need to know or any tips you could give on how to raise a happy healthy pup. Also, wanted to know about the best puppy food. I did some research on that as well and think that DVP natural balance sounds like a good one. It is for all life stages. Thanks in advance.

JFrick

Hey, welcome to the forum.

It took me about 2 weeks to get Khaki (red merle in my avatar) completely housebroken. She was 12 weeks old when I got her though. All I did was kept an eye on her and learned the sign that she was about to go. When she would start sniffing around in circles, I would get her leash and take her out. Only took a couple of days and she would start going to the door to be taken out.....she would have an accident from time to time, but after 2 weeks she only had a couple of accidents in the house.....

I can't give any advice on crate training, I personally don't use a crate.

What color Aussie are you getting?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've found that my Aussies learns best through both consistancy (which is any dog) and examples.

Look through the board for advice on potty-training...there are some great methods and your Aussie will pick them up quickly! Same with crate training...you might want to keep the crate near your bed for the first bit until she gets used to it at night. This is very much a Velcro breed and she's going to want to be near you at all times!

One word of warning...I didn't get any sleep for the first 3 nights I had Sawyer and he was 1 1/2 years old. He was looking for his sister I think, but it'll be the same with you.

aussie<3

I've found that my Aussies learns best through both consistancy (which is any dog) and examples.

Look through the board for advice on potty-training...there are some great methods and your Aussie will pick them up quickly! Same with crate training...you might want to keep the crate near your bed for the first bit until she gets used to it at night. This is very much a Velcro breed and she's going to want to be near you at all times!

One word of warning...I didn't get any sleep for the first 3 nights I had Sawyer and he was 1 1/2 years old. He was looking for his sister I think, but it'll be the same with you.
Thanks! He is beautiful! I hope that she looks half as good as your little man! I can't wait to share pictures and tidbits of happiness :D :D

erykah343

We used to keep our yellow lab, Lady, in a crate when we slept and when we were gone. We used to tell her to "Kennel Up" everytime we put her in there, and eventually we could be anywhere and tell her to "kennel up" and she would run to here crate and sit there so we could shut the door. It worked nicely, so we didn't have to wrestly a 70lb dog into a crate!

friskyloo

Congratulations!!!!

Dear aussie owner.....
I am a long time Aussie owner and we breed as well...I have had several breeds in my life and have a small business that revolves around dogs and I have to tell you that I am biased to any other breed now-Aussies are the best. I love all dogs but there is an amazing bond that you will form that will be like none other in your life with an Aussie. My advice is that Aussies are so intelligent and loyal pleasers that they respond well to all kinds of training but the most important thing I feel is the socialization aspect. If you do nothing else this breeds tendncy to be a little agressive with other dogs needs to be worked with immediately...they often like to be the boss, so an early abundance of friends(if theres an off leash park nearby perfect) is important. It is also important to go easy in the first year with agility as the joints and bones can suffer negatively with too much strain which would cause major issues as you dog ages. It is a good idea to keep with low impact courses for the first while. Regardless of what happens I am sure that you will be smitten with your new baby!!!! I hope you enjoy as much as I have and do. All the best!
Heather and Friskyloo:D

Members online

No members online now.