Help, Dog is acting strange after we changed her food

Da Mila

Ever since we changed our dog's food to another brand she has been acting very strange. How do I put this, my female shi-tzu/bichon gets very horny and excited and trys to instigate me to play with her and she scratches at me and trys to mount my leg or my arm or anthing she can get her paws on. She does this to my bf as well- whomever is in the room she will try to mount. I don't understand why she does this? And it only has happened ever since we changed her food and it's right after she eats that she acts like this. Has anyone ever heard or seen this before? If so, help! Thanks :confused:

Saje

Island dweller
Are you sure it's the food? What were you feeding her and what are you feeding her now? When did you change the food?

Is she spayed? How old is she?

Has she been trained? Does she know who's dominant in your house?

candy722

that's funny but no I've never heard of that. Maybe she's really enjoying her food.

Saje

Island dweller
I was thinking maybe she was feeling poorly on the old feel and now is very enthusiastic about life.

Blondie

How old is she? Blondie used to do that right after he ate, it's like he needs to get all that energy out. He just used his blanket, though, no leg mounting or anything. As he's getting a little older, he's not so "enthusiastic" about it, although he still sometimes does play with his blanket some.

Da Mila

Well, the change was almost immediate. She used to eat Nutro, but when we went to the pet store they suggested another type of pet food that would be better for her.
She is now on Nutrience Supreme, which has a lot more protein than the Nutro. She is 1 1/2 years old and not spayed. It is true that she does have a lot more energy so that could be why. Thank you everyone for your replies.

Another, very very important thing to check is the protein source on the new food. Nutro isn't very good and doesn't use clean sources, but if the new food doesn't use clean protein sources and has a higher protein ratio, she could be getting a much elevated level of residual hormones in the food. That could easily cause this kind of behaviour AND it's extremely unhealthy. You'll want to check on that.

Also, remember most pet stores are going to push the food with the highest profit margin built in, or the one with a manufacturer who may be offering volume incentives, especially if it's a chain store.

Da Mila

Thanks Renee, Nutro was the food she was on for a couple of months, we had her on science diet when she was a puppy..but the new food that she's on that's making her act this way is Nutrience Supreme. Thank you for the tip though. Do u recommend a certain type of food. There is so much to read on the different types of food, and they all advertise that they will give u're dog nutrients and stong bones. I would make my own dog food if i could. :p

Saje

Island dweller
I don't want to tell you what food is the best. There are a lot of good ones out there and there may be some in your area that I haven't heard of. But I am a big supporter of innova or all nutrapet products. They use natural ingredients, human grade meat, and the best thing (I think) is that they don't use invasive measures to test animals. Plus they rescue their "lab" animals, rehabilitate them and treat them as pets. There are other good brands out there too and it's not always easy to find it in Canadian cities that aren't on the border. I think you'd have good results on that food.

I feed the Innova EVO and I'm extremely please with it - quality, ethics and results, but a good place to go for information is www.greatdanelady.com . If you'll click on 'Articles' you'll see an index; scroll down until you come to the list of good dog foods and it will give you a very good start. Linda also has links to the manufacturers sites in the table in the body of the article.

Members online

No members online now.