Shampoo for itchy skin?

Back40

Just adopted our 3rd shelter pup. She is apprx 4 months old and is solid white with pink skin. Our vet gave her a clean bill of health. Gave her a bath using Mane n Tail shampoo. Since then she has been scratching and biting herself. Here skin looks healthy with no flaking or breaks in the skin. I am looking for recommendations for a shampoo or perhaps a supplement that will help her itchy condition. Thanks!

As far as shampoo , I use and love Cowboy Magic Rosewater Shampoo. It really moisturises both skin and coat and they are super soft and shiny after the bath. As far as supplements, you can give fish oil either capsules or pour over the food type. I have been using Omega 3-6-9 capsules from Springtime Inc.(springtimeinc.com). Its a blend of fish oil,Organic fish oil and Borage seed oil. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Brattina88

Earthbath has an oatmeal and aloe shampoo - works wonders on some of my fosters! Even those with major medical skin issues & on meds for it. A lot of petsmarts are selling Earthbath products now ;)

yassy

I use Erthbath oatmeal shampoo and conditioner. When you do shampoo, after applying to wet fur, wait for 10min or so and then rinse it off until you hear the squeaky sound.Leftover soap can trigger itch in skin too.

Also, after shampoo,I use conditioner and it makes my dog fur very soft to touch.Oatmeal is very gentle to skin and,I love using them.

You can find it at petco.

Amanda885

I'm not sure the brand..but I use oatmeal shampoo and it has helped with itching. As a puppy, I used J&J baby shampoo..it was super nice on his fur.

I use Malaseb shampoo for my westie who suffers from itchy flaky skin she is also a rescue - it works brilliantly. You leave it on the skin for 10 mins and rinse. She has gone from being nearly bald with bleeding skin from itching to now having a lovely thick coat and hardly ever itching

milos_mommy

If it's due to dry skin, supplements like a raw egg or a bit of canned salmon would help.

homemade for sensitive skin

I've been using the recipe on this site Homemade dog shampoo ever since my yorkshire terrier started getting eczema. In the last 3months his skin has started clearing up. I think some of the products out there are a little harsh, so I'm sticking with natural products from now on.

matie1138

I heard somewhere that some dogs compulsively bite themselves even though there's no reason, have you considered this too?

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I second the person who suggested Johnson and Johnson. It's gentle, doesn't strip the oils out of the coat, doesn't sting if they get some in their eyes, is cheap and smells nice. What more can you ask?

Saintgirl

An oatmeal shampoo will probably be best for your dog...as long as it is a DOG shampoo. Human shampoo, even baby can be gentle enough for a human who is pH balanced at a
5, but a dog needs a pH balance of 7. Time and time again I have had dogs come to me where the owners say that they have very sensitive skin, when I start to ask questions to determine the best type of shampoo to use on the dog I find that the owners have been using their own shampoo. The other possibility, and this is a major possibility, is that the shampoo wasn't entirely rinsed off. Left over residue can cause itching. I recommend that when you think the soap is rinsed off, rinse for 5 more minutes.

Members online

No members online now.