Be careful if you get a steroid injection...eeeeek!

Doberluv

This is terrible! :yikes:

http://www.microbe.net/2012/10/06/when-leaf-mold-gets-in-your-steroid-injection/

Going for a walk or drive in the country and viewing the fall colors when the leaves turn in the Boston area is a favorite pastime of residents of and visitors to the area. Leaf mold associated with autumn leaves in Massachusetts may have gotten into the indoor environment of the New England Compounding Center of Framingham, Mass., the source of a steroid used to treat back pain.

The F.D.A. warned that some vials of steroids used to treat back pain had become contaminated with leaf mold. These injections have been associated with meningitis. according to the Associated Press report published October 3rd.

According to the AP story, it “…became apparent Thursday that hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of people who got the shots between July and September could be at risk. Officials disclosed that a steroid suspected in the fungal meningitis outbreak in the South had made its way to 75 clinics in 23 states.â€

So the connection between the indoor environment where drugs are prepared and the microbes commonly found outdoors can be important and more attention is likely to be paid to it in the future.

Doberluv

But the side effects of excruciating pain from bursitis or some other horrible joint or spinal disease, pain that makes you want to blow your brains out isn't particularly pleasant either.:p

I'll have to admit, after I'd really screwed up my back once (my fault, not warming up before a 220 pound lift), a steroid shot got me moving again.

The doc came toward me with it, I asked him what it was, he told me, and I was up and off that table and out the door before he could get close enough to jab me.

Sucked it up, waited out the pain until the next day, when my chiro was open, and got it fixed. ;) I was really lucky to have a good chiro who could actually fix what was wrong.

For a $20 office visit!

Doberluv

That was pretty lucky that you got fixed up. Your description of jumping off the table when you saw the needle coming is pretty funny. I can just see you.:rofl1:

When I had severe tendonitis in both wrists and another time, my shoulder....nothing, but nothing made it go away. I couldn't hold a paper plate and couldn't move my arm more than 2" away from my body, I got steroids, (methleprednisolone) but not an injection....pills. That did the trick. I've had bouts a couple of times and there was nothing but that stuff to get it cleared up. With my back, I had some kind of magic anti-inflamatory RX and after a few weeks, that finally felt better. That was a herniated disc. lol. Oh Gawd...we're falling apart. :yikes:

Members online

No members online now.