What's up in Canadia, Eh?

~Tucker&Me~

Him being arrested under those circumstances was ridiculous. But...

Article said:
Sansone says he got into some trouble with the law five years ago, and was convicted of assault and attempted burglary. But he’s put all that behind him. He never had any firearms-related charges.
Article said:
He said he thought he had good relations with the principal who offered him a job last year counselling students at the school.
Umm... What? The principal was offering someone convicted of attempted burglary and assault a position in a school working with vulnerable students?

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Him being arrested under those circumstances was ridiculous. But...

Umm... What? The principal was offering someone convicted of attempted burglary and assault a position in a school working with vulnerable students?
Perhaps the perfect person to tell them what NOT to do. Honestly, I think we need more people in counseling positions who have been in real trouble and have had a tough time of it. Its pretty hard to relate to troubled kids if you grew up in a stable middle-class family and never got in any trouble.

~Tucker&Me~

Perhaps the perfect person to tell them what NOT to do. Honestly, I think we need more people in counseling positions who have been in real trouble and have had a tough time of it. Its pretty hard to relate to troubled kids if you grew up in a stable middle-class family and never got in any trouble.
I understand your side of it, and I actually totally agree. One of the most influential counsellors we ever had visit our high school had been in trouble with the law for drug use in his teens. Hearing first hand how crappy it made his life was very eye-opening to us.

That being said though, this guy was convicted of assault. And this was four years before he was asked to be a school counsellor. That's a very serious charge that happened recently. Having him working in the school system with vulnerable kids only 4 years later doesn't sit right with me.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I understand your side of it, and I actually totally agree. One of the most influential counsellors we ever had visit our high school had been in trouble with the law for drug use in his teens. Hearing first hand how crappy it made his life was very eye-opening to us.

That being said though, this guy was convicted of assault. And this was four years before he was asked to be a school counsellor. That's a very serious charge that happened recently. Having him working in the school system with vulnerable kids only 4 years later doesn't sit right with me.
To me it depends on the facts of the situation. You can be convicted of assault, in some US states, just for frightening someone or touching them. I'd want to know what actually happened before making a call on that if the man was otherwise qualified.

just like being labeled a sexual predator can mean you had sex with your 16 year old girlfriend in this state when you're 17 or 18. I swear half the people I went to high school with were predators

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
The classic make-believe children's games like cops and robbers, soldier, Wild West, etc., were off limits. According to my sister-in-law, one child got in big trouble for simply pointing his forefinger at another student and shouting "bang!" while playing during recess.
Since when did cops and robbers ever hurt anyone? That was pretty much my entire childhood!

I bet that a large number of these kids come home and play Call of Duty anyway. :rolleyes:

Dekka

Just try me..
Since when did cops and robbers ever hurt anyone? That was pretty much my entire childhood!

I bet that a large number of these kids come home and play Call of Duty anyway. :rolleyes:
As the mother of an 11 boy in Canada. Yes, yes they do. It seems pretty much ALL the boys in Darien's class own and play COD.

Members online

No members online now.