General Things That Have Happened With Your Puppy

Doggish.Obsession

Bombed To-Be Puppy Owner
Well, I'm supposed to be typing up a study sheet for a science test, but I love this site too much. ^o^

Bite Inhibition/Mouthing
So far Happy has been doing fine. I firmly say "NO." when he starts to chew on me. (although sometimes I just zone out and let him chew and chew) Me and him play a heck of a lot, and me and him just get wild. when he bites too hard I resist the urge to bowl him over and get mad, but instead yelp and ignore him until he calms down.

Play Dates
I've taken him to see his brother about twice since coming to my house. So far so good, the playin gets wild but I try not to intervene although when Happy starts squealing I cuddle him up. :)

Funny Stuff
I've just found out that when he gets frustrated, he yips. Like once, I put him at the top of the stairs, and from one step below, I said, "Come on! Come!" He stared at me, and he knows how to go UP, but not DOWN. so he watches me, and i sit there on the second step, waiting until he suddenly goes, "YIP!" ^o^ It was adorable.

Training
Well here, theres nothing much to say. He's a little scatterbrained right now, since's he's still investigating the world, but otherwise, he's knows that he has to sti to get a treat, although he sometimes sits and suddenly leaps up at me.

House-Breaking
Since I'm training him to go inside, he's been doing GREAT. He hasnt had an accident for a long time now...

-----------------------------------------------
Question
Some lady offered us a dog/puppy a couple of days ago. My mom came home and told me, and I asked what breed, and she was like, "Bichon...?" Im assuming its a Bichon Frise. A lot of people told me its impossible to bond with two puppies at once, but would it be okay if the Bichon was about a year or two old?
Generally, right now, all I know is that some lady offered my mom a Bichon (poodle? Frise?) something.
Right now I'm up for it. I heard it has already been trained to go in the right spot, and its actually very intelligent. Just for a bonus of info- The only times no one is home in my house is during 10AM-2:30PM.
My mom -HOW CAN YOU NOT?!?!?- didnt find its gender, breed (well, properly...) and age. I fumed at my mom for a little while for not finding out the most important things but... *shrugs*

So the main question(s) are-
-Would it be wise to get a bichon something that is 1-2 years or older? (I'm not going to accept it if its still a puppy. I dont want all of you bashing my head in, and besides. I want to train Happy to PERFECTION.)
-For the first few days it comes home, should I supervise and make sure the older dog doesnt maul my puppy?

Again, I'm NOT going to accept if its still a puppy, and I have NOT gotten it yet. -Still Deciding-

bubbatd

I wouldn't take on 2 until your pup is where you want him to be. Then he can teach a youngster. If you take an older one on now that you have to work on , the pup will follow the older dog's actions rather than what you want.

bubbatd said:
I wouldn't take on 2 until your pup is where you want him to be. Then he can teach a youngster. If you take an older one on now that you have to work on , the pup will follow the older dog's actions rather than what you want.
Exactly. With my newest dog, one of the biggest training aids I've had is Makenzie (my eldest). He's made the training process seem to fly by and simplified everything incredibly despite the new dog's age.

moxiegrl

Bite Inhibition/Mouthing
Katie loves to play, and her lil teeth can be brutal. I started yelping when she bites, and ignoring her for a minute. She sassed me when I would tell her no, and if I pointed my finger at her she would snap at it (playfully). So reacting to her biting got her more excited. Ignoring her and getting her a chew toy works best.
Play Dates
Katie plays with the dog next door, who is not very active so Katie does most of the running around. I also take her to my Dad's every once in awhile and let her play with his dog. She is about 1 yr and very hyper, so they play great! Katie tries to herd her to where she wants her to go.
Funny Stuff
Katie learned the hard way that the sliding glass door was closed. She ran full speed to go on the porch and "Bam"!. After making sure she was ok, I couldnt help but laugh.
Training
Sit, Stay, (still working on this one), lay down, and shake. Any tips on heel?
House-Breaking
Katie has never gone poop in the house, but she does have some peepee accidents. This is a tough one though because I read not to scold them for peeing in the house, just to take them outside if they're in the middle of it, and praise them for finishing outside. And to just clean it up if you find a wet puddle. Are these accurate?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
House-Breaking
Katie has never gone poop in the house, but she does have some peepee accidents. This is a tough one though because I read not to scold them for peeing in the house, just to take them outside if they're in the middle of it, and praise them for finishing outside. And to just clean it up if you find a wet puddle. Are these accurate?
I wouldn't scold, that is correct. BUT if you catch them IN THE ACT of peeing, then a firm 'No!', and take them immediately to the correct toilet place helps.

By catching in the act - I mean actually having a pee.

And by firm I mean in control, deep voice. But NOT loud and scarey!

:D

Members online

No members online now.