Am I the only one who thinks this is cool?

Well. . . ?

• I would flame you if you got one. Actually, I'm flaming you in the comments right now.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Have to admit I think it's kind of cool looking.

That being said for any Luther's who aren't member and don't know any better who ever is passing this off as a pure bred that they are charging more money for is a lier and a bad breeder. If they are saying it is a parti poodle they are also lying. Parti coloured and Merle are very different.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I might be threadjacking my own thread here, but other than breeding merlexmerle because you're an idiot, what's lethal about it?
Breeding merle X merle is the problem, yeah. Most good breeders wouldn't, but there's always someone who knows better but who is going to justify it one way or another. Not to mention the possibility of phantom merles, colors that mask or mostly mask merle, etc. resulting in either risking merle X merle breedings or limiting breeding options because you aren't sure and merle gene tests have, last I saw, been shown to be unreliable.

I just don't see how it's worth the risk when all you get is a flashy color. If it's already in the breed then fine work with it, work around it. But introducing it just for Teh Shiny?

Locke

I have to say that as a groomer, I loathe most doodles. Labradoodles and Goldendoodles. We see so many with health issues, NASTY temperaments and allergies. Most of them have more of the poodle coat around here. It is just gross. I seriously have no idea why people consider them a "breed" as they're NOT. They're mutts. Plain and simple mutts.

The merle coloring is cool looking but........just what the world needs more ill temperamented doodle type dogs.
TONS of purebred (although not necessarily responsibly bred) poodles have shitty temperaments, bad coats, and health issues FAR more concerning/debilitating than allergies. The temperament and health of poodles have really taken a back seat to looks and colour in the last decade or so. All the doodles I've met have had better temperaments than the poodles I've met.

Here is a Merle mix that does agility with us, Rolls, he is a nice enough dog, and I love the way he looks, but he is a banana head for training, hard to get him into listening and staying on track.

I groom a aussie x poodle. she is merle has wavy thin coat. wish i could do a fun clip on her, but they like her shaved right off.

"Animals that resemble their owners"

If I owned 101 Dalmatians and lived nearby, I'd worry.

Cookies? Did somebody say cookies?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
TONS of purebred (although not necessarily responsibly bred) poodles have shitty temperaments, bad coats, and health issues FAR more concerning/debilitating than allergies. The temperament and health of poodles have really taken a back seat to looks and colour in the last decade or so. All the doodles I've met have had better temperaments than the poodles I've met.
I have met a couple of doodles that I would happily bring home. I would love to find a nice one in rescue.

I am not ashamed to say that I love doodles. By far the vast majority of the ones I've met have been giant sweet clowns. They need their manners held in check for sure and their energy could power a small city, but sweet nonetheless.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Breeding merle X merle is the problem, yeah. Most good breeders wouldn't, but there's always someone who knows better but who is going to justify it one way or another. Not to mention the possibility of phantom merles, colors that mask or mostly mask merle, etc. resulting in either risking merle X merle breedings or limiting breeding options because you aren't sure and merle gene tests have, last I saw, been shown to be unreliable.

I just don't see how it's worth the risk when all you get is a flashy color. If it's already in the breed then fine work with it, work around it. But introducing it just for Teh Shiny?
Gotcha. I understand that. I still want merle everything. :p Thankfully, I'm never going to be a breeder.

I have a friend who owns a similar looking dog:

He looks cool and he's a nice dog. That's about the extent of what I know about him.
That dog is so weird looking that he's cute. <3 I love him already!

Grab

Extra cute :) There is a merle miniature Poodle/mix that comes in to my workplace. He's a cute, happy little guy.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Not a big fan of long coated merle dogs, but the smooth coats? *swoon* More than the merle, it's the blue eyes that get me. Every time.

Especially bully types. GIVE MEH ALL TEH BULLIES!

Those eyes. <3 I think these are pure bred houlas, but still.

*dies*

ETA:

This one is for you Nolu :)

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I am so happy to see my Nolu! ALWAYS bringin the controversy and baked goods. ;)

I have to say that as a groomer, I loathe most doodles. Labradoodles and Goldendoodles. We see so many with health issues, NASTY temperaments and allergies. Most of them have more of the poodle coat around here. It is just gross. I seriously have no idea why people consider them a "breed" as they're NOT. They're mutts. Plain and simple mutts.

The merle coloring is cool looking but........just what the world needs more ill temperamented doodle type dogs.
I agree with this. Sadly, I haven't met a Doodle who didn't have the grossest ears ever and at least one nasty hot spot. D: I have a groomer co-worker who thinks her "Doberdoodle" is the most exquisite dog alive. She's a cute, awkward muppet dog... nice enough but worth breeding? No.

All of the Doodles I know are socially awkward, flighty and bark like there's no tomorrow. It's funny how dogs look at them like *sigh... you're dumb* I feel like Poodles are a particular breed and don't necessarily mix well with most other breeds. I haven't met any aggressive Doodles, though! Still they aren't my cup of tea.

Merle Poodles are beautiful! So are partis! I much prefer to see people breeding different colors/types in a breed rather than trying to create a random breed (especially from two breeds... that is not possible!) I'd only buy a Standard if I could dye them, and it would be tricky to dye a merle dog. Working in the dog industry has taught me not to judge people based on what dog they buy and from whom. All I can say is what I would want.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I am not ashamed to say that I love doodles. By far the vast majority of the ones I've met have been giant sweet clowns. They need their manners held in check for sure and their energy could power a small city, but sweet nonetheless.
Actually we met a goldendoodle yesterday at the bike trail. Sweet dog, not anxious or hyper at all, and she had a super soft coat.

The issue I have with people deliberately breeding for an exotic (and not normal for the breed) color is what's being sacrificed in the process? I get that color is often a factor in breeding, and that's fine if done right, but I have to wonder how well it can be done when the primary focus seems to be color. I see this a lot with horses too. Frankly, I don't care what color the horse is-if it has temperament issues, is a conformational mess, and only bred for OOOO-PRETTY COLOR that horse is very likely to have issues later in life and eventually become unwanted. There are MANY beautifully marked paint horses out there that literally have nothing going for then other than their color.

I guess with me, I would much rather see someone cross breeding two breeds with an actual goal in mind than see someone try to breed merle poodles because they want a different looking poodle.

Last edited:

noludoru

Bored Now.
I am so happy to see my Nolu! ALWAYS bringin the controversy and baked goods. ;)

I agree with this. Sadly, I haven't met a Doodle who didn't have the grossest ears ever and at least one nasty hot spot. D: I have a groomer co-worker who thinks her "Doberdoodle" is the most exquisite dog alive. She's a cute, awkward muppet dog... nice enough but worth breeding? No.

All of the Doodles I know are socially awkward, flighty and bark like there's no tomorrow. It's funny how dogs look at them like *sigh... you're dumb* I feel like Poodles are a particular breed and don't necessarily mix well with most other breeds. I haven't met any aggressive Doodles, though! Still they aren't my cup of tea.

Merle Poodles are beautiful! So are partis! I much prefer to see people breeding different colors/types in a breed rather than trying to create a random breed (especially from two breeds... that is not possible!) I'd only buy a Standard if I could dye them, and it would be tricky to dye a merle dog. Working in the dog industry has taught me not to judge people based on what dog they buy and from whom. All I can say is what I would want.
:rofl1: If I keep everyone's mouths full, they can't call for my demise. ;)

Could that be a local thing? Or a food thing?

crazedACD

Not a big fan of long coated merle dogs, but the smooth coats? *swoon* More than the merle, it's the blue eyes that get me. Every time.
I like spots, patches, ticking, merle-anything spotty! Blue eyes too. Catahoulas are gorgeous to me, though not big into the cur temperament.

Those poodles are neat, but if it's long haired, I prefer merle with some chrome-merle/white/tan. Not a huge fan of bi-merle, and not really a fan of heavily merled faces. Like this..the dog is cute, but not preferable IMO.

These markings are gorgeous to me..

Aleron

I think they're neat looking! But yeah, I think Merle is popping up in them due to Merle breeds being used to create Merledoodles. It does not take long at all to get breed type back from a single outcross. Check out the Bobtail Boxer project. Within 3 generations, you'd never ever guess those dogs had corgi in the pedigree.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
alright so the dog pictured at the start of this thread is an F1 "aussiedoodle" and i have looked around and found other merle poodle things that are OES mixed, but it mostly seems to be aussie in standards, and chi in minis. and yes, poodle coat type would be easy to get back, and provided you used good health and structure, your merleadoodles could be typey and correct within 5 generations. now if you could get GOOD show poodle hair is another thing, even POODLE breeders struggle with good spongy thick coat. all the merle poodle pictures i have seen show at best, limp "pet poodle" coat, and at worst, sheepdog or doodle hair, loose shedding waves

genetics are ****ing fascinating

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
I like spots, patches, ticking, merle-anything spotty! Blue eyes too. Catahoulas are gorgeous to me, though not big into the cur temperament.

Those poodles are neat, but if it's long haired, I prefer merle with some chrome-merle/white/tan. Not a huge fan of bi-merle, and not really a fan of heavily merled faces. Like this..the dog is cute, but not preferable IMO.

These markings are gorgeous to me..
Im funny about my merle, I only like trim in red merles, never black or blue or any other color. I actually really dig the multicolor patches that catahoulas throw often, whatever they call it

BE STILL MY HEART

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
It's on my phone so the picture is little but the catahoula looks like a regular old Merle with dilute spots. Having some dilute patches is fairly common with merling.

Also the way your post was worded bugs me, there is blue and red Merle and I'm not sure what black Merle is supposed to be referring to.

Tweed Aussies make my heart flutter, not a standard color but god can it be gorgeous.

Members online

No members online now.