Hikers best friend? Which is best?

I in the future would love to own a pit. Most people think that if a female owns a "tougher" breed, though, that she only wants protection (which isn't me at all - my fists can do that work).

showpug

I say German Wirehair Pointer. They have a ton of edurance but a coat that would protect them from burrs etc. They have a coat that can quickly become longer if allowed to or stripped short if the trip will be a warm one. The neat thing is, is that the coat does not loose it's protective abilities at either length and these dogs have the endurance he would be looking for. :)

Amstaffer

BigDog2191 said:
True or not? <---- for those of you who have owned a Bullmastiff or any other Bully breed.
Bullmastiffs won't challenge Aus. Sheps anytime soon be they are average in the smarts department, but they are very much like Pitbulls in one way....EXTREMELY sweet. They are big time human lovers. Beware the licks, long and sloppy.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Amstaffer said:
Bullmastiffs won't challenge Aus. Sheps anytime soon be they are average in the smarts department, but they are very much like Pitbulls in one way....EXTREMELY sweet. They are big time human lovers. Beware the licks, long and sloppy.
The way I like 'em! ;) :D

S

stirder

I've been asked this question a lot. I hike a lot too, with my dog and do a lot of overnight (several nights in a row) camping in wilderness with my dogs. I have found that the best (for me) is the german shepherd. very eager to please and train. perfect energy level for back country hiking. very alert, good in bear/mountain lion country, and I have seen over a dozen bears (both grizzly and black bears) while camping/hiking, several of these were startled and 2 grizzlies charged. also 3 mountain lions who ran when they saw us. most of the bears were a long way off and no threat. all of the startled bears and both the charging grizzlies turned and left when he started barking (I was yelling and throwing rocks, sticks and whatever I could reach).
also gsd is capable of packing some of his/her own gear. I pack his water though, packs have to have weight evenly distributed.

Members online

No members online now.