Easily Transportable & Secure Crate?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Does such a thing exist? :p

I bring Keeva to my parents' house pretty often, and since we'll sometimes go out together and do whatever, I really need a crate with me.

Right now, I keep a plastic shipping crate in my car (actually, it's the one that Traveler was shipped in from Australia - LOL) but Keeva has really outgrown it, and I don't like having to leave her in it for very long.

I have a nice Noz2Noz pop-up crate for Macky for trialing, but Keeva is not nearly trained enough to use that - she has already proven she can unzip it, so it's out of the question.

I do have a wire Midwest 36", but that's a permanent fixture in my living room and a huuuuge PITA to haul around (I did it for a summer for trials... NOT fun).

So... is there something that's fairly easy to transport (reasonable weight for a weak 20 something woman), folds down, and is sturdy? Any suggestions?

MicksMom

...I have a nice Noz2Noz pop-up crate for Macky for trialing, but Keeva is not nearly trained enough to use that - she has already proven she can unzip it, so it's out of the question...
Hmm, my Noz2Noz has a snap near one top corner of each door to secure the zipper pulls. If all she does is unzip it, maybe use a snap to hold the two zipper pulls together? Then, even if she manages to move them, they'll stay together and the door won't open.

The only other suggestion I have is another wire crate. Or maybe a bigger plastic crate to keep at you parents? A few years ago there was a line of plastic crates out that folded. I think Nylabone made them. You might be able to find one used someplace.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
There's a line of crates called iCrate that folds up and down fairly easily ...
I was thinking about those... we have them at work. Maybe I'll have to fold one up and down and see what I think. LOL

MicksMom said:
Hmm, my Noz2Noz has a snap near one top corner of each door to secure the zipper pulls. If all she does is unzip it, maybe use a snap to hold the two zipper pulls together? Then, even if she manages to move them, they'll stay together and the door won't open.
I'm worried she'll just tear it then. ;) I'm pretty sure the only reason she DIDN'T tear it is BECAUSE it unzipped.

BostonBanker

Gusto's travel crate is an iCrate. I'd rather get him a Noz2Noz like Meg's, but I am fairly certain that would last about 3 minutes with him! I don't find the iCrate hard to set up or carry particularly, and I'm no superwoman. I've never noticed much difference in the various types of wire crates when it comes to weight or set-up though.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Gusto's travel crate is an iCrate. I'd rather get him a Noz2Noz like Meg's, but I am fairly certain that would last about 3 minutes with him! I don't find the iCrate hard to set up or carry particularly, and I'm no superwoman. I've never noticed much difference in the various types of wire crates when it comes to weight or set-up though.
I mean, it would probably help me out that at least the iCrate has a handle. My LifeStages one does not.

What size is Gusto in? Keeva has tons of room in a 36" but not enough room in anything else because Corgis are a stupid shape, LOL.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
What size is Gusto in? Keeva has tons of room in a 36" but not enough room in anything else because Corgis are a stupid shape, LOL.
That's pretty crazy, Webby is fine in a 30" for trials and I'm rather fussy about making sure they have enough room. I guess I underestimate how long Corgis are!

There are these:
(image via petco) if you want something that's not all wire...supposedly they are quieter in the car, and they have wheels on the back so if you don't feel like tearing them down (they fold down) you can just wheel it along. But they are rather pricey and no lighter than a wire crate.

MicksMom

I mean, it would probably help me out that at least the iCrate has a handle. My LifeStages one does not...
Check the MidWest site. They might have replacement handles. That would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new crate.

BostonBanker

I mean, it would probably help me out that at least the iCrate has a handle. My LifeStages one does not.

They do have handles; I never put the handle on mine though! It is narrow enough folded that I can just put my hand around it and carry it that way. Gusto is in the 30" iCrate. Plenty of room for him. Keeva must be a lot bigger than I picture her!

elegy

overdogged
I like my wire iCrates as well. That's what Luce stays in for trials. No way I'd trust her in a soft-sided crate.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Ok, sorry everybody who offered help only to have me drop off the face of the earth/this thread. Got a little busy with my rescue boys.

Anywho, I think I've just gotten too neurotic about crate size, LOL. But, let me explain that while Keeva fits easily into a 30" iCrate, turning around in narrow space is hard for a Corgi as opposed to a leggier dog. The shipping crate from Lindsey is roughly 28" long but very narrow, which is really what the problem is. So in my defense, that's where some of my crazy comes from, haha. She's really not very big at all for a Cardi - she just hit 19 lbs this week. :eek: It also doesn't help that she prefers to sleep crammed into the corners, making me feel like she doesn't have enough room when she's really just weird.

Now I'm thinking about the fact that Macky fits in her 30" Noz2Noz for trials perfectly - it's not generous but it's also not tight. Keeva has enough room in the N2N too, she just unzips it.

I think I'm losing it, you guys. LOL. I'm gonna order the 30 incher from EliteFields on eBay (same dimensions as the iCrate)... if she outgrows it, I'll save it for the next pup. I've put her in a 30" iCrate at work plenty of times and she has enough room. I'm just neurotic. :p

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I liked our Noz2Noz crate, until Lincoln ate his way free, out of both of them. XD Tsuki and both schnauzers were fine in them and never tried to escape. I haven't decided yet what to use for Charlie at trials (we're probably going to be crating in car this summer vs in the tent), but I'd really like to get the collapsible Nylabone crates. I had to borrow one this summer for Lincoln's houdini act and was thrilled he could not try to escape, or ruin it.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Finn's got an iCrate. It's his home crate and it's easy to fold up and pop in the car when needed, as compared to other crates I've tried. I want to get him a soft one eventually.

You know, I have no idea what kind of crates mine are, just that they are folding wire crates. I've been using one of them for 8 years and other than being a little ugly, it still works just fine. I think the old one is a Midwest. I just swapped a co-worker crates for another one, and I have no clue what brand it is. But I've always liked my folding wire crates. I can fold them up and down in 30 seconds or less, and I got my buddy Sandra to make me an awesome cover for Loki's.

http://www.crateapparel.com/

(Sorry, shameless plug, I know. But I love her stuff.)

Members online