Does your dog react differently to different dogs?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Dakota is that way about Rottweilers, DG. To this day there's only one that he's comfortable around, and I think it's only because he's seen her often ever since she was a puppy. If we run into a Rottweiler on the street, he gets tense and starts growling.

Toller_08

Dance is OK with some dogs and wants to play with them instantly, and others she backs away from and acts a little nervous. She hates pushy dogs and doesn't get along well with most Labs or Boxers at all because of their greeting and play style. She hides behind me and makes low growly, grumbly noises when she sees them.

elegy

overdogged
yes. well, not harv, but harv's a freak. luce doesn't like other bitches or dogs who don't respect her as the goddess of the universe. mushroom doesn't like small dogs or dogs who are too forward as to be scary. being dog selective is not an uncommon thing, especially with bullydogs.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Mine react differently to different dogs - but mostly it depends on the other dog. If it's calm and well behaved, the dogs ignore it. If the dog is a show dog, it's COMPLETELY ignored (that's how they've been trained, all other dogs atshows are to be ignored).

If the dog is barking at them, they puff themselves up and start acting like stallions. If the dog is acting aggressive towards ME, they rise to the challenge and I have to get a tight hold and verbal control, because they WILL charge the dog if it gets too close.

BostonBanker

I think nearly all dogs are going to react differently to different dogs, just as I react differently to different people that I meet for the first time.

For Meg, all dogs and all behavior is fine if they are about 4 months old or younger. If she meets a dog at that age, she will befriend them instantly and will put up with a lot from them from there on out.

Small dogs are fine and safe as well. Herding dogs, or dogs who play like herding dogs, are also generally fine. She like the gentle "tag, you're it", play bow and run sort of play. I can only think of two dogs who she genuinely plays with as adults, and they are a border collie and an aussie.

All big black dogs are suspicious (she was attacked twice by the same large black lab). Any dog that greets her by plowing into her space will cause lots of teeth and growling.

Any adult dog who is not big and black is just fine as long as they approach politely and greet well. After that, she doesn't normally play, but she will ignore them.

milos_mommy

didn't read the whole thread, i will late. but in response to the first post; definately.

some dogs he loves, plays with, etc, and some he wants to brutally murder.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Daisy can be picky about her female friends, but otherwise she's good with male dogs as long as they aren't too rowdy. Benji is ok with most dogs as he looks to Daisy for guidance, but he has a thing about boxers since my neighbor's boxer attacked him twice.

Members online