Our DNA Breed Test Results are Back!

We got the results of our Canine Heritage Breed Test in the mail. You can guess our breed make-up until Monday, May 28. If you guess right, we'll send you a box of our favorite goodies!

Dogmom is going to post the results of the DNA tests on our blog on Tuesday - so come and visit, vote, and then check back to see what we are!

Wuf Ya - Gomer & Opie at www.DogsAyeView.blogspot.com

bubbatd

Not fair !!!!! How much did it cost you .... I saw it for around $70 today . I'd love to have Ollie tested !!!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
How can you be sure it's accurate?

Cass.
Blind faith? I know someone who just got one done coincidentally.. Dog is the size of a toy poodle. Thought toy poodle x mini schnauzer she found him beside a highway a year ago..

Test claims saint bernard and doxie. Riiight. I am sensing scam.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Blind faith? I know someone who just got one done coincidentally.. Dog is the size of a toy poodle. Thought toy poodle x mini schnauzer she found him beside a highway a year ago..

Test claims saint bernard and doxie. Riiight. I am sensing scam.
It might be, but they only have a certain number of validated breeds that they can test for...

What happens if my dog is composed of non-validated breed(s)?
The Canine Heritage™ Breed Test can only determine if any of the 38 validated breeds make-up your pet’s breed composition. If your pet’s composition contains non-validated breed(s), the test may identify a breed earlier in your dog’s ancestry. This may cause identification of apparent unlikely breeds for your animal’s composition.
http://www.metamorphixinc.com/faqcanher.html

bubbatd

Still wonder where you had it done and how much ..... I'm planning to check to see if my Clinic offers it and would like to compare .

Boemy

Well, I was reading on some breed club site--might have been Irish Setters--about how they could test for genetic problem XYZ in one breed of dog but not Irish Setters (or whatever) and were working to isolate the allele in setters. So maybe they can tell based on where certain genes are located on the DNA strands.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
I doubt I would go for this I paid over $ 800.00 3 years ago to have Whiskey DNA tested. I had my vet draw the blood and send it out. They had no idea what breed he was and they came back with ACD

Doggie DNA

Hi all -

I did this on a whim and mostly just for fun. One of the boyz' veterinarians told me about it, as she is doing research on genetic disorders in certain breeds of dogs.

Here's what I learned:
  • The test cost $65 plus shipping when I ordered it directly from the testing lab. www.mmigenomics.com - click on Canine Heritage Breed Test for information and to order.
  • I spoke with the company after receiving my dogs' results. They are constantly adding more breeds as they can be verified, even though the online/press releases say that they are verifying 38 breeds.
  • The 38 breeds are expected to account for 75% of mixed-breed dogs in the US.
  • This fall, they will be releasing an expanded breeds test that tests for 100 of the top 151 AKC registered breeds in the US. They expect this expanded list will account for 98% of the mixed breed dogs in the US.
  • They discovered a glitch in Labrador DNA -- the population of Labradors is so large and popular in the US right now, that some "purebred" Labradors are actually a mix of two or more of the three Labrador subbreeds - based on countries of origin for Labradors -- American, British and German. Therefore, when the DNA test is compared to the breed DNA for just one country of origin, an "error" occurs that shows that Labrador is not a part of the mix.
  • The expanded breed list this fall will test for American and British Labrador DNA strains -- the two most popular in the US. (They have offered to retest Gomer's DNA for free when this is available.)

I'm glad I spent the money - I have some insights into my dogs' histories and personality traits that didn't make sense before. I also know that they didn't come from the same litter of puppies - something that the shelter suspected when I adopted them 9 months apart, as they appeared to be the same age and were captured in the same area of town in AZ.

I do recommend waiting till the expanded breed test is available -- just so you don't have to wonder, as I did, why a breed that seems obvious (Labrador in Gomer) and a breed that isn't listed as verified (American Staffordshire in Opie) show up in the results.

Also, keep in mind that even those breeds that we call "purebreds" are actually just standardizations of mixed breeds of dogs.

The vet that recommended the test also said another company will be releasing a similar DNA test this fall. We may have my boyz retested to see how the results are similar/different. She'd also like to hear of people that know the breeds of both parents and have the test done - to see if any surprises or confirmations are made.

If you have any questions - I'm happy to answer what I can. Email me directly at [email protected].

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Riiight. I am sensing scam.
Well one way to disprove that if for someone with a pure breed dog to send in a sample and see if it comes out mixed....??? Like if I sent Tosca in and they said she was part something else..

happyhound

Well one way to disprove that if for someone with a pure breed dog to send in a sample and see if it comes out mixed....??? Like if I sent Tosca in and they said she was part something else..
I think they require that you send in a photo with the DNA sample.

bubbatd

If this is a scam ... they should be caught !! I agree , why the picture ??

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
why not... say someone with a dobe or Rottie or other clearly reconizable by looks breed send in a blood sample with a picture or say, a less recognizable breed dog photo...

say someone with a dobe sends in blood with a picture of a goldendoodle or something.

see if they pick out that it's a dobe or not.

ACooper

I don't think you send a photo..........Just the blood, name & address.

I doubt you could convince ANYONE your findings held any merit if a photo were required to be sent with the blood ;)

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
There's instructions. They want a digital photo.. Seems mandatory the way it is in their facts.

Last edited:
So . . . you send in a photo of a dog other than the one you're testing for . . .

Heheh . . . wonder what would happen if they received a blood sample and a photo from a full-blooded, pedigreed Fila Brasileiro :D

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
Someone should do it...just to see how accurate it is. If a few people got together to cover the costs it wouldn't cost much to prove or disprove them. ;)

Cass.

Members online

No members online now.