Good bones for a dog who doesn't like raw

Any ideas? Winnie doesn't care for raw bones- she tends to hide them, and dig them out several days later to carry around (mmm, stinky...). She likes the artificial things like nylabones and Greenies, but I'd like to give her some variety. Ideas?

sam

What RMBs have you fed her?
I was going to ask the same thing. Do you mean recreational bones or RMB's?
Have you tried raw chicken necks they are a favorite around here although the first time I fed them they did look at me like I was nuts and carried them around a bit. For recreational bones my dogs get beef or bison knuckle bones- they love them. Sammy likes to hide and bury bones too-- it'
s not because he doesn't like them, it's just a dog thing. Some people say they bury bones to let them rot a bit to soften them and make them easier to chew.

Last edited:

mlee

Peyton is crazy for bully sticks. you can get them at places like petsmart and they come in all shapes and sizes. Peyton is a fan of the pretzel shape or the twist and they last through lots of chews.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I would also suggest bully sticks, although, make sure to keep an eye on your dog while she chews these. Madison ended up at the vet's for 2 days hooked up to an I.V. because he chewed off a piece and gulped it, and it blocked his intestines (I even collected his small end of the stick so he wouldn't gulp, he must've chewed a piece off while eating it).

Just looking for recreational chewing bones. I've only tried beef marrow bones. She will sometimes chew long enough to get the marrow out, but often just tucks them away somewhere and forgets about them. I try to remember them, because she has occassionally stashed them, then pulled them out after who knows how long, chewed them, then puked.

She does like knuckle bones, I forgot about those... Maybe we'll get another one.

Any concerns with the chicken/turkey necks about salmonella? She is such a "storer", so I worry about microbial growth with fresh bones. She tends to not chew things I give her right away- she prefers to tuck them away and find them again herself- so if I take the raw bones away from her every time she tries to hide them, she'll just never eat them. :rolleyes: What a goofball.

sam

I wouldn't let the dog hide raw bones in my house lol. It seems like my dogs quit doing that shortly after I started regularly feeding them raw bones. I saw Sammy stash one behind my son's bed - glad I saw him doing it!
You can try crating the dog to eat raw bones- less mess to clean up.

Pomp

Stealth,

Your dog sounds hysterical. Raw bones are great for dogs. If you can get your pup to sit down and eat them, instead of hiding them, this would be a great option. My beagles' favorite are chicken wings.

For recreational bones, I've been using beef marrow bones. My dogs will literally chew on them for 2-3 hours. It's amazing. And more importantly, it gives me a break!!

Members online