Some Videos

DanL

Grainy and poor quality but my gear is old.

Here is one of him doing the football jump that I posted pics of. Not his best effort but you can get the idea.

Jump

And one of him showing his grip. :)
Tug

RD

Are you dead yet?
Gunnar is so stunning in motion! I love the tug video.

DanL

Thanks everyone! That jump was a pretty lame effort on his part, he wasn't moving as fast as usual. I have some other examples but my vid capture software was giving me a hard time so I posted what I was able to extract from the tape. That tug thing we do a lot, it's one of his favorite games and training rewards. I know people say never let your dog win, but if he gives me a good effort on his bite and tug, I let him win. I know he'll drop it right away if I tell him to.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I allow Riot to win after a long S&R session.. he'll run around us happy with his toy after :)

Very good bite work with him!! :) Germans are haevy! lol

DanL

Summeriot, he does the same thing yours does- prances around with the toy afterwards, all proud of himself. That is more with the tug though- with that ball, he's really wanting me to throw it again for him.

Bruzer is funny that way too. He'll get on the other end of the rope with Gunnar, and make all kinds of noise- growling, shaking, etc. Gunnar sits there quiet, and when he's ready, yanks the rope out of Bruzer's mouth. Bruzer will come prancing over like he just won the heavyweight title, all happy with his little stubby tail vibrating. :) What a tough guy.

Barb04

Super Moderator
DanL, are you going to train Gunnar for protection work, etc? If yes, then they should win and take the bite pillow away with them after a good bite.

D

Dobiegurl

Barb04 said:
DanL, are you going to train Gunnar for protection work, etc? If yes, then they should win and take the bite pillow away with them after a good bite.

I was just going to say that. I have a little puppy who I'm training for schutzhund and I always let him win (if he has a decent grip) to increase his confidence. But it seems Gunnar already has the grip down.

DanL

Barb I'd like to do some Schutzhund work with him but the only club within an hour of me is not taking new members right now.

I do what you say- when we play tug and he gives a solid effort- a nice full bite and pulls me towards him, and hangs on without regripping, I let him win. Then I make him "out" and drop the tug, have him sit or down, pick up the tug, then go again. So even when he wins, I'm in control the whole time. It's all a game for him.

Members online