Spinone Italiano

Romy

Taxiderpy
Has anybody ever met one before? My husband is extremely interested in getting one. He wants a "normal dog"....sigh....There goes my chance for a lure coursing dog. lol.

MicksMom

My only "one on one" experience is when I met one about 12 or so years ago at an obedience match. Breed All About It did an episode on them. According to the show, they can be somewhat stubborn. I still think they're cool, tho.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Lovely dogs but be aware...beards are MESSY and you will always be fighting a battle against staining, dripping, and food particles collecting in it. ;)

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
The owner of our semi-private dog park has one named Sifka - cool dog, very friendly and mellow!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
If you want a lure coursing dog why not talk to Greg and Lexy about a Ivor daughter? Ivor BTW is infatuated with jazz. And when you have him and 5 others plus a beagle and a cat sleeping with you you really dont get much sleep. lol. I love that dog.

Mach1girl

That is the #1 breed known to commonly be born with(and carry) a MAJOR genetic defect-cerebellum ataxia. When the mutant gene first came about, and alot of cases noted since, it has been in this breed. A very rare case in few other breeds, but mostly in this breed. The gene can stay dormant-then show up. And the results are UGLY!

trust me, I did this research for a long long time when I was trying to pinpoint my Daizys problem.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Thanks for the warning! Do they have a test to screen for the defective gene?

Jenn, I already have an Ivor grandson. :p But he's a service dog and we absolutely cannot "turn on" that chasing instinct. If my husband would let me I would totally get a second borzoi though. They are so awesome.

Those beards give me nightmares, lol. I am envisioning a spinone going for a drink of water, then.....dun dun dun! WET BEARD KISS! :eek: But Robert loves the beard. Basically, he wants his own dog buddy to take running a couple of times a week, and Strider needs a friend to unwind with when he's not working. My husband says I'm too strict with Strider (ha ha) and never let him have any fun, so he wants a fun dog. I think mainly he's upset that I don't let Strider off leash except fenced areas, and I don't let him mark while we are walking because I think it's rude.

Personally, we love the "stubborn" hound personality, which isn't stubborn at all once you find the right motivator. We've managed to train a borzoi for service work after all. :D

ETA: I would LOVE to meet Greg, Lexy, and Ivor some day. Everybody says such really nice and wonderful things about them. Several people who have met Strider, and two of them weren't even borzoi people asked me if he was Ivor's son because he has the same personality, and they said they could see Ivor's build in him. That was when he was much younger, he's only 9 months now even. It's interesting to me how much influence a single ancestor can have in his descendants.

milos_mommy

i LURVEEE Spinones. I totally want one, i think they're more or less the perfect dog for me.

Has anybody ever met one before? My husband is extremely interested in getting one. He wants a "normal dog"....sigh....There goes my chance for a lure coursing dog. lol.

If you want a lure coursing dog, and he wants a "normal' dog...why not meet in the middle and get a deer hound or irish wolf hound???

Romy

Taxiderpy
If you want a lure coursing dog, and he wants a "normal' dog...why not meet in the middle and get a deer hound or irish wolf hound???
That's the problem. We were on a list for a deerhound, but when the puppies were born the sire's owner wanted ALL the extras, so we didn't get any. :( It's extremely difficult to find deerhound litters planned that are coming from healthy long lived parents with good temperaments, and we can't find any planned litters from the preferred breeders within the next 3 years. Well, one woman is planning on one if she can find a good enough male, but she hasn't had any luck.

He would LOVE an irish wolfhound. However, right now we don't have the space or vet money for one. It's pretty much a given with that breed that there will be some kind of catastrophic failure at some point (spleenic torsion....bloat....broken bone...cancer...etc.) and we want to have at least $2,000 in cash sacked away just for vet bills before we even think about bringing one home.

He likes the red roan color of spinone's and german wirehaired pointers very much. I don't know what other breeds might have that except for the spaniels (bleh! no offense to spaniel lovers). He was actually complaining to me that the blond spinone look too much like otterhounds, lol.

I've been trying to get him to consider a wirecoated ibizan. There are a couple of really good breeders I would want a puppy from, and one of them has two litters planned this year.

Members online