Okay seriously...

RD

Are you dead yet?
Laurrrr...

Come visit me. :) You'll get totally BC'd out and after a day or two with my three (who completely sweep the spectrum of variety, temperament wise) you'll know whether or not you really want a BC.

They are way up there on my list of coolest dogs ever. They just love to make people say "wow".

Papillons are no more difficult to live with than border collies, IMO. BCs (and working line dogs in particular) try to help you in any way possible once they're mature. BC puppies... blarg. I don't like them very much. I like the teeny baby stage and then I wish they would magically turn 2 years old and mentally mature.

I'm a sucker for black and whites (no, really?! I've only chosen FOUR of them) but I envision a predominately black tri and a blue-eyed red in my future!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I like the black and whites the best but we had a really heavily ticked tri female in last month that was gorgeous.

I would totally love to meet your dogs and visit if I could!

The more I'm around them the more I realize they are and yet are not how they're described by a lot of people. Energetic- YES, but they seem to be energetic in the way I'm used to and a way that you could channel that energy into a LOT. But most the people I know offline that have had them always talk about how unmanageable they are. Previous to Chaz and shelter working that was my only experience with the breed- some really under worked and under exercised house pets. I just don't think most people are capable of handling that kind of energy.

Of course most people that come in my house ask how we are able to manage with the pack anyways. Well, they even would ask back before we had more than one papillon. Beau is a VERY memorable guy and surprisingly active for a little dog. I know you know paps and that they're by no means lap dogs to begin with. Beau is like your average papillon energy level wise but about five times over. I honestly think he'd drive most people up the wall. However, I find him to be an outstanding dog to live with and probably the best dog suited to me. He's just so much fun! And contrary to what most people who meet him think, he does have an off switch, lol.

I just want to make sure I'm being fair to the potential dog and being realistic.

Paige

Let it be
Everyone is always shocked at how mellow my boys are. Get them out for a good romp and give them a job. Thats the secret to having a happy BC. Every day. If you set them up to succeed they will pass with flying colours.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Honestly, Ripley was more high-strung than the BC three. I think a drivey Pap's persistent, excitable, extreme velcro temperament is rather similar to that of most young Border Collies. I find that correctly worked/stimulated BC adults are very intense, but not bouncy and nuts. More sophisticated in their temperament I guess - not sighthoundish and independent by any means, but not spazzy either.

The thing about BCs is their diversity due to being bred only for working ability - even temperament isn't really hard wired in this breed, you can get some extremely outgoing and friendly dogs and some are aloof and independent. You can have a dog with a playful temperament or one that's dead serious about everything. My guys completely cover the spectrum (except I don't have an aloof BC - all four of them are extremely sociable and trustworthy around people)

If you're ever going to be near or if I ever go into Texas, let's get together so you can play with the brats. :D

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah you just described Spazz perfectly, lol! He's a sweet sweet guy, but he's crazy. I have only ever met one papillon that could top him and that was his grandfather. Summer is intense at times but then at other times she's the laziest dog I've ever met. She is either going or asleep. She's a serious serious dog- not a funny bone in her body. Could care less about playing, but loves training and running and doing things. But she's velcro like all papillons are. I've dealt with aloof dogs. I'd prefer one not so aloof as Trey. Nikki is a great fit for me. She's affectionate but not always on top of you or with you like the paps. I mean, I love the paps and the fact that they love people, but I'd like a dog that likes ME. Not 'people'. If you have papillons you have to realize they just like people. You're nothing special and there's an equal chance they will want to sit on some stranger's lap versus yours.

You'll have to let me know if you end up this way! :D

Paige

Let it be
Bandit is aloof with most people. Even if he has met you many times he probably will not like you. Especially if you are male. He likes this one man at the dog park. He willingly goes up to him for pats. Everyone else, ha! Good luck trying to get him to come to you. He's a one person kind of dog.

Spanky LOVES everyone. Just goes to show you how different the breed's temperments can be. Mine were even from the same litter and they live on two different personality planets. Spanky isn't the kind of dog though that will go home with anyone. He is loyal. He does love to get out there and meet new people though.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah, even my two shelties are worlds apart. Though one was show/performance bred and the other just poorly bred. Nik is a lot more 'friendly' yet bitchy. She's stubborn, grumpy, yet she loves me and her family. Likes attention and petting. She's good enough with other people but then she goes her own way. Trey is just aloof. He doesn't like petting at all or cuddling or playing... He'll finally let me hold him after 12 years, lol. He hates strangers.

The paps are pretty similar, with Beau being a lot more active and silly than the others. They're all velcro, though.

Members online

No members online now.