Breeders - Had your contract broken?

Romy

Taxiderpy
That's why I have a monetary clause in my contract if they breach our agreements, as I've been told that's the only way a judge will honor a contract.
I imagine it varies from country to country, but I know one borzoi breeder who sold a dog on a co-ownership. She found out the dog was being horribly neglected, had open sores over it's hip bones, emaciated, etc. She drove hundreds of miles to pick up her dog, and then sued for breach of contract because the contract laid out specific things that needed to be provided for the dog..food, water, vet care, etc. She was awarded $10,000, but hasn't seen a penny of it. She said she didn't care though, as long as her dog was safe and healthy again.

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
Sally continues to change her mind about what she wants to do. But what I've noticed is that she's continued to feel GUILTY about taking the mommies to her house to have them have their puppies. "But the couples loves those dogs so much! I've house sit for them, watched them on holidays!"

I've also gotten confused as the saga continues, Beanie! I don't know if she's told them she's going to spay the mommies before they get them back, I just know that she said she's going to do it!

I'll keep you guys updated as the story unfolds....

mom2dogs

I imagine it varies from country to country, but I know one borzoi breeder who sold a dog on a co-ownership. She found out the dog was being horribly neglected, had open sores over it's hip bones, emaciated, etc. She drove hundreds of miles to pick up her dog, and then sued for breach of contract because the contract laid out specific things that needed to be provided for the dog..food, water, vet care, etc. She was awarded $10,000, but hasn't seen a penny of it. She said she didn't care though, as long as her dog was safe and healthy again.
This is when I talked to a lawer in the states. I'm still learning how things are handled here.

Looked back and I didn't word very good, LOL, trying again: a judge not always will "force" the owners to s/n, surrender, etc. and that's where the monetary clause will come in that makes it "easier" (lack of a better word) for the judge to rule. Hopefully that makes more sense. I don't care about money, I have it there because in certain circumstances I would hope the owners will choose surrendering the dog with no issues VS paying money.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
What an annoying situation for Sally, augh.

Others have said what I would say, but they said it better. I understand that it's a strange situation to find yourself in, not to mention potentially bad rep for you as a breeder.

What concerns me (and I think this was already mentioned) is that she seemed to have such a strong relationship with these folks. I was ready to lecture "never sell potential-breeding-dogs to someone you don't have a strong relationship with!" But from what you've said, it sounds like she DID have a solid relationship with them.

Ffffff. Anything for a buck, huh? At least the stud seems to be decent, and I bet the pups will still make excellent pets. I just hope they don't register.

Members online