Would you die for your dog?

I would not actively seek an exchange of life but I would risk my life to save them. I do not have children relying on me though, which would alter my risky behavior.
This is a good way to put it. Although I'm not entirely sure I would be thinking through it that rationally or if I would just react and run on adrenaline. I suspect the latter.

And honestly I don't know how well I could live with myself afterwards if I didn't try to do something. Not like an "I couldn't live without them" kind of thing but an "I'm not sure I would like myself very much afterwards" kind of thing. Especially if I came home and saw one of them in the window... man. That would be a good way for me to just go out of my d*mn mind.

Shakou

Especially if I came home and saw one of them in the window... man. That would be a good way for me to just go out of my d*mn mind.
Exactly. Thinking about it now rationally when my dogs are safe and well, it's easy to say I value my life to much and have a responsibility to those that love me. But if I came home and saw something like that, I think that would be just enough to make any sanity I had left to snap, and who knows what I would do.

Brattina88

This is a good way to put it. Although I'm not entirely sure I would be thinking through it that rationally or if I would just react and run on adrenaline. I suspect the latter.

And honestly I don't know how well I could live with myself afterwards if I didn't try to do something. Not like an "I couldn't live without them" kind of thing but an "I'm not sure I would like myself very much afterwards" kind of thing. Especially if I came home and saw one of them in the window... man. That would be a good way for me to just go out of my d*mn mind.
Ugh, agreed. :( what an awful picture... You'd never get that out of your head :(

Add me to the latter list as well.
When Maddie was getting attacked by the GSD, I didn't think at all, I just reacted. By throwing myself into the middle, getting bit to pieces on my arms, pinning the dog down (choking it) and screaming at the now free (and BADLY injured) Maddie to go in the house. I still don't know HOW I managed to do it, that dog was soooo much stronger than me :eek: and I was in really bad pain for at least a couple of months after that :rolleyes: it could've been worse. Would I hesitate again? Hell no. So bring it on coyotes :popcorn: ah, just kidding :p

ACooper

I'm in the "not on purpose" group. I would not intentionally trade my life for my dog.

I would not rationally put myself in danger for Orson like I would for my children/Kevin..........but I am impulsive and might rush to do something stupid without thinking.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
And honestly I don't know how well I could live with myself afterwards if I didn't try to do something. ... That would be a good way for me to just go out of my d*mn mind.
So many days are genuinely hard to handle since the boys died. I second guess everything, I cry for seemingly no reason, I shake myself back to reality, I have trouble talking to people and then I talk like a heartless robot. The reality is if I had a chance, no matter how small it was or how stupid and risky it had been, I would have done everything to save them. This is hard enough, knowing I could have saved them and made a choice not to, I'm not sure I could handle that.

JacksonsMom

I have no idea. I think in all honesty I'd be going on adrenaline and there's no telling. I know from first hand that you don't always react the way you anticipate and plan during an emergency.

Anytime I think about stuff like this I feel awful. My dogs trust me 100% and blindly follow me. I do not ever want to betray that devotion. Those dogs mean an incredible amount to me. Mia in particular has been about the truest friend anyone could ask for. I hope we are never in that kind of situation.
This, it's really hard for me to say.

In the case of a house fire, I can't honestly say that I could just... sit there and WATCH. Knowing my best friend, literally, is inside. But I don't really consider myself a risk-taker or a "brave" person in times of emergency. And I honestly don't know what I'd do.

Now like the story OP said about seeing her dog in the window, oh god, I cannot even imagine. I think at that point all my brain cells would disappear and I would be doing what I could do to get to him without really thinking.

There's been a few incidents where my instinct has just kicked in, and I honestly don't even remember much about me physically doing it lol. I was standing in my friends townhome yard with Jackson on leash and the neighbors dog (thankfully small also) came charging out and full on attacked him (it wasn't just being reactive, snippy, full on attack) and before I even knew it, I was on the ground and had a dog on each side of me, holding one back with each hand until the owner grabbed the other dog. I laughed about it afterward because, ****, I was like Spider-woman. Don't even know how I ended up on the ground but I'll be damned if I'm not going to protect my dog.

GoingNowhere

I tend to freeze when I'm afraid or put on the spot, so honestly, no, I don't see myself running into the face of danger even if I wanted to. That's not to say I wouldn't be panicking and probably yelling at other people to do something (a serious personal flaw, I do realize...).

And then of course beating myself up and overthinking after the fact.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I agree with a lot of those here. AdrianneIsabel worded my thoughts very well.

However, in the case of a fire, my mom would probably hold me back from running in as we both cried hysterically. Typically Cali is in the same room as us though, if we're home. I know for a fact that I would try everything I possibly could to save her, because I honestly do not know how I could move forward with my life without her. I know I probably could, but she's my rock and when I'm at my lowest, she is the one thing that keeps me going.

Just the other day, I was prepared to run in front of cars in shorts and a bikini top because Cali decided to make her way over to the neighbor's driveway.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I'm in the "not on purpose" group. I would not intentionally trade my life for my dog.

I would not rationally put myself in danger for Orson like I would for my children/Kevin..........but I am impulsive and might rush to do something stupid without thinking.
This. I wouldn't intentionally die for my dogs...but take a risk? Probably. They're one of the things that keeps me going right now.

Miakoda

Before I had children, I most definitely would take the risk to save my dogs. But now that risk goes to my children. However, as mentioned, we do have a fire escape plan, and our kennel is located where it is as a part of that plan.

I think we all do things to minimize risks, but tragedy happens. During a hurricane, I moved dogs (in their kennels) from one room in my house to another because I was afraid a neigh it's tree was going to come down on that part of our house. Instead, it was our own tree that fell on the room where I thought my dogs would be safe. I lost 5 of them, and a part of my heart, that day. And then Mia. Instinct had me yank her around to confront an oncoming dog in an effort to protect my son. Never did I think , for one moment, that she would be killed as a result. I lost an even bigger part of my heart that day. Instead of risking myself, I had to choose for my dog to take the brunt of what could have been for my son or myself.

I dunno. We all act in different ways in the face of danger, especially when fueled by adrenaline. I don't know I'd go so far as to say that there is a right or a wrong in such a situation.

Pops2

I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, but my husband and I just had a conversation about a friend of his who died trying to save her dog from a house fire a few years back, and it got me thinking about it. While it differs in opinion, personally I admire her bravery, and wish that if something like that happened, I'd have the guts to do the same thing, though weather or not I actually would, I can't say.

So, the question is, if your dogs were in a life or death situation like that, would you risk your life to save them?
Been doggin hogs for about 35 years. What do you think?

Saeleofu

Would I inadvertently risk my life to save him? Yes. Adrenaline, love, whatever, if he was in danger I would do my damndest to save him.. even if it meant that looking back, I had risked my life.
It would have to be a knee jerk response, he runs into the road, I go running after him..just out of instinct.

Would I KNOWINGLY put my life on the line and die for him? No.

I can't say for certain.. but if faced with a similar situation.. my building is on fire, the floors are collapsing, and I know he's in there. I don't think I would run in.
It hurts to even think about.. but I can't imagine running into that situation knowing there is a GOOD chance I could die (smoke, fire, floors collapsing etc..) trying to get to him. I have a huge family, I have someone I love, I just..can't imagine.
I hate to sound callous but that's just how I feel.
That's pretty much it. The thought of a fire just terrifies me, and I'd feel extra awful if Gavroche was in a fire, as he's terrified of smoke alarms and fire as it is (I have a feeling he may have been through a fire before I got him...he's SO scared of even a lighter across the room and sits on me and shakes if the smoke alarm beeps just once when the battery starts to die). I would probably try to save them no matter what, but it would be pure adrenaline and instinct, not clear thinking.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
No. But that has only changed since I have a child, I love my dogs, but I love him more and him not having me isnt an option.
This.

I would do some stupid, risky stuff to save my dogs... and put myself in harm's way. But my son needs me much more than I need my dogs. I know they'd die for me though :) well maybe not Fozzie. He's all about self preservation.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
So many days are genuinely hard to handle since the boys died. I second guess everything, I cry for seemingly no reason, I shake myself back to reality, I have trouble talking to people and then I talk like a heartless robot. The reality is if I had a chance, no matter how small it was or how stupid and risky it had been, I would have done everything to save them. This is hard enough, knowing I could have saved them and made a choice not to, I'm not sure I could handle that.
I'm so sorry Adrianne :( I can't even fathom going through that kind of pain, but they were surely the luckiest dogs in the world to have been yours.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
If I knew it were going to kill me, heck no. I'm not volunteering myself like that.
Sorry dogs, I love you, but I don't think their lives are more important than mine.

Would I do something stupid or potentially dangerous for them? Maybe.... huge maybe. Really depends on the specific situation. Like if our house were on fire I can see myself taking the time to gather up the animals before getting out.

Shakou

Well, I don't know what "doggin hogs" means. Does it mean hog hunting with dogs? Because if that's it, I don't understand how that has anything to do with weather or not you'd die for your dog.

Last edited:
This.

I would do some stupid, risky stuff to save my dogs... and put myself in harm's way. But my son needs me much more than I need my dogs. I know they'd die for me though :) well maybe not Fozzie. He's all about self preservation.
Same here. But Obi is such a pain in the ass that I feel confident that he would be able to escape any life threatening situation and then tilt his head and look at me like he's wondering why the hell I'm freaking out.

Members online