Training good news/venting thread.

Red.Apricot

Elsie had her RN before she walked nicely on leash for casual walks. Seriously, it took me two years to teach her loose leash walking, and we worked on it all. the. time.

I'm defective.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Elsie had her RN before she walked nicely on leash for casual walks. Seriously, it took me two years to teach her loose leash walking, and we worked on it all. the. time.

I'm defective.
Sloan has her CD, 2/3 CDX, BH, and ready for an Apr1(obed/Bitework). Can she walk without pulling or being in a heel? Sad story, man. lol

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I want to do classes. I'm now in a position to do classes.

I cannot decide on classes.

Toller_08

I'm defective.
Sloan has her CD, 2/3 CDX, BH, and ready for an Apr1(obed/Bitework). Can she walk without pulling or being in a heel? Sad story, man. lol
That makes me feel slightly better haha. It just seems like the simplest of tasks and yet I've somehow failed at it lol.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I would like to know how I managed to teach multiple dogs, of different breeds and sizes and personalities, to walk reliably on a loose leash. And yet there is a little black Aussie puppy, who is brilliant and catches onto things no problem, who insists that loose leash walking isn't for her. I always thought it was something I seemed to be good at successfully teaching quickly, and yet...

Gah. What a brat. She used to walk nicely, but recently she's decided that that no longer needs to happen. Good thing she's cute and I know we'll get there eventually.
OMG, this is me with Quinn. Exactly! I don't know why she's been such a challenge in that regard.

If it makes you feel any better, one day (after I kind of gave up working on it for awhile, even) a switch just flipped and while she will still walk ahead of me, she doesn't pull on the leash any more. I could refine it a little bit more but she's honestly rarely on a leash and as long as she's not pulling I don't care. She just grew up LOL - even on the occasion where she does have a brain fart and hit the end of the leash, I stop and she falls back into position easily.

CaliTerp07

Lucy thinks LLW means "Run to the end of the leash, backup until mom catches up, rush forward again, repeat". Bonus points if she catches me off guard and yanks the leash out of my hand. I can teach my dog handstands, but 5 years after I adopted her she is still on a front clip harness.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Started to teach Wesley to jump over my back, went really well (only ten minutes so far). He didn't even kick me in the head, which is super impressive.

On the note of LLW, omg, don't get me started. No amount of rewarding for placement was going to make Wesley stop slowly going forward until he was out ahead. And then overnight he was like 'I hath grown up, I now LLW!'. It was the most frustrating and bizarre experience.

And Fran, don't worry about Merlin. The fact that's he's great with all environments and situations is the most important thing for him, the cued behaviors can come at any time but it needs socialization behind it, which you've obviously done awesome with. I don't even want to talk about what Wesley was like at ten months. :p

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Loose leash walking lol what's that. Juno walks well enough, she's not really PULLING, to most other people it probably looks just fine.... but it's nothing picture perfect. I would certainly never tell someone I successfully taught it lol. It's on my list of "things to start training ASAP" for any future puppies. =P

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Both my dogs loose leash walk like a dream. However neither of my dogs can settle in a crate despite 4 trainers now (other than me) working with them. This has been going on since Mia was a puppy. A lot of work and it just isn't happening....

I think every dog has their 'thing'. Lol

Last edited:

gapeach

Big Mutts
We're working on jumping through a hula hoop. Sometimes she goes under, sometimes around. But more often is going through! This is only day #2.

Red.Apricot

My rally trainer, who is light on praise, said to me yesterday that Elsie and I are so in sync on the course that it looks like we're dancing.

I'm over the moon. :D

Of course, I still think we've got a long ways to go.

This morning, my husband and I were leaving the house at the same time but heading for different places, and I was bringing Squash with me. In the bustle of getting our respective stuff together, we walked out the back gate without Squash's leash actually being clipped to his collar. There was literally a moment when all three of us seemed to realize this at the same time, and before I could react Squash ran down the alley.

I took off after him and called him, but he was initially ignoring me. He rounded the corner and was on the sidewalk of what is a reasonably busy street. I happened to be wearing the bag I take to training at the time, and thank goodness I keep a squeaky toy in it. There were three people in my line of sight walking dogs, and traffic on the street, and I felt like I was going to throw up. When I squeaked to get his attention I could see the wheels turning in his little head.

And then my terrible, wonderful boy made a beeline back to me, I clipped his leash on and hugged him tight and gave him a jackpot, we walked back down the alley to our house, where I promptly burst into tears.

Practice your recall, people. Practice it and proof forever and ever. And ever.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Jari is in his, "I can't hear you LA LA LA LA phase." He turns 7 months tomorrow. I took him to the agility trial I had with Kimma today, but he hadn't really been anywhere like that in a couple of months. Well when we got there, he was a raving lunatic. Reactive to the world. But we worked slowly, and after lots of hot dogs and praise, my little guy was in the stands of the arena offering a really nice settle with people and dogs passing right behind him. He even ended up being OK with the horses and bulls in the areas right behind our car after some LAT. Who knows what he will be like next time we go to that same venue, but today was really good. Exactly what I needed.

Sparrow

Zoe is really starting to ROCK nosework at new locations. At least when we train just us. She struggles more at class (different place each week,) and I don't really have any expectations for the trial this weekend (first trial of any kind for either of us, and it took her until just last month to even muster the courage to pass the ORT due to her environmental sensitivity, so......) Either way, we're having a blast!

As much as I'd love a ribbon or a title, I didn't start a reactive, nervy, 10yo dog into a sport for anything but fun/stimulation for her, bonding for us, and a chance to do formal training despite not being able to hang with other dogs. Plus, it helps her not be so upset about the fact that other dogs exist. I am getting nervous about the trial, though... I'd like her to at least do SOMETHING and not freeze up and time out of everything like our first ORT. At least that stunt made us known by everyone in the state's nosework community AND the judge from California. "Oh, THAT dog!" :eek:

But... I realized it may not have been a good idea tonight to train at the City Building after dark on the eve of 9/11 - sneaking around with my airtight box, hiding things... don't worry, cops, my dog will sniff out the B-word! Nono, not THAT B-word - BIRCH!

I like to take her to dogless locations at night due to her reactivity, but it makes for what I am sure some really weird-looking activities. I am positive I will be stopped and questioned one of these days. :cool:

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Buddy can never be off leash on a walk because he will take off after something & his hearing suddenly goes away. BUT I did accidently drop his leash (it was a retractable leash too ... which becomes a clatter monster when dropped) when something hit me in the hand & scared me on a walk one time, he kept going for a bit but thank dog when he is scared, he freezes instead of being the bolting type so I was able to run away from him while cheerfully calling him (& trying not to sound like my heart was in my throat ... which it was) & he came right to me ... whew!

needless to say I now have a strap around the handle of that leash ... in case I accidently drop it again

Apparently Squash could only walk OR hold the dumbbell in his mouth. Tried some different things to get him to walk WITH the dumbbell in his mouth.

Finally, just asked for a targeted hand touch. He stared at my hand for a bit, wheels turning (I love that look), then marched right over with it. It really was just that easy all along and I was making it complicated? UNPOSSIBLE.

Silly mimi.

FG167

Kastle kicked butt at IPO training today!! We're close to being ready to trial for our IPO I. He's so well rounded and his drive is so good, I just love him!

Members online