rest in peace Dempsey

bshertzer

6/1/95 - 12/26/08 - Dempsey

Friday 12/26 we had Dempsey put to rest. He had a great life... other than eating the controls off of my father-in-laws welder, chewing thru the oxy-acetylene torches, eating the trouble light (and only leaving the brass ring at the bottom) then that one time he was carrying a stick about 4' wide thru the woods, and stopping dead in his tracks when it hit 2 trees....

now wait... those are all good memories... funny times. or the time he jumped halfway thru the back window in my truck and got hung up there.... yea. good times buddy.

Dempsey, aka, Demps, Bub, and Shithead (his Yellow sister Strega was known as Asshole) was my wifes Black Lab. When she moved out, and we got married, she left him there with her parents... where he spent quite a few years running rabbits, chasing chipmunks, and chasing the ducks in the neighbors pond. More than one person loaded him up, and returned him home with some sort of story to tell.

after having a pee accident in the wifes car (for which she "ever so nicely reprimanded him :rofl1: ) he would not ride in another car for a long time. until i took him for ice cream in the bronco. and ever since, he was more than happy to hop into an open car door.

The past month or so had gotten rough on the old boy, her parents had to carry him outside and hold him up to go to the bathroom, ever since thanksgiving he pretty much lost his spunk. he would just lie there, look up with his big eyes, and white muzzle, and wag his tail. He had been to the vet, and they said to basically keep him comfortable, as there were a number of tests that they could run to see what was wrong, but at that point any type of surgery would be a great risk for him.

so instead, he became pampered, being carried outside to do his business, not getting yelled at for having wet paws, and even having canned dogfood just for him.

We lost his sister Strega several years ago when she darted out infront of a car (totaly out of character for her) and now they are both up there... chasing chipmunks together, and trying to rip the lids of of Pepsi bottles once again. He was the last of his littermates that we know of to survive... and being the obviously dumbest of the bunch.. it's surprising that Darwin hadn't come knocking sooner for him.

Rest in Peace buddy.... we will all miss you deeply.

bshertzer

thanks everyone. it sucks... but after seeing him at thanksgiving, i was surprised he held out this long. i'll try and dig up a few pics of the old boy... just for the sake of posting a few.

the kicker of the whole deal... was saturday night, we went to see Marley and Me. I never read the book, and didnt know what to expect. yea. not a good movie to see that day. :(

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry to hear about Dempsey. He will live in your heart and memories forever.

Members online

No members online now.