Eddie's Story

Mdawn

I posted this on another forum around my Lab, Eddie's, 2nd birthday. It tells the story of how I came to find him and just what this dog means to me. I thought I share it here as well to help others get to know him as well considering I'm a new member. It's been edited a bit because of the references of the other forum it was originally posted on.

When I found Eddie, it was in the middle of winter...it was January. I was sitting at my desk in the computer room and I heard this tiny muffled bark. I went to the door to investigate and I saw this little black puppy trying to wedge himself between the plant stand outside our door and the house. I went back inside and told my boyfriend that there is a little black puppy outside. We both went back outside and brought him in the house with us. We called several of our neighbors and our local shelter. We had no luck finding his owners. I knew that he'd been dumped anyway because we get that a lot where I live. I was just going through the motions of trying. I swear, Eddie was an awful puppy. He had no bite inhibition whatsoever. I was a walking bruise for months. He destroyed anything that came near him, he was the hardest dog to house train. Everything was difficult with this dog. So that is the beginning of the story and this continues it...

"I had this newly found puppy that was ripping my house to shreds. I had basically everyone I know telling me to take him to the pound...that he wasn't worth the stress and the trouble. However, when I first laid eyes on him...I felt a connection to him that is beyond description. I looked at him and it felt like he was already mine. That is the only way I can describe it. I've never felt anything like that before or since. Before he showed up, my boyfriend and I were looking to get another dog...a Lab at that. Then appears this little black Lab...it seemed like fate. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was MEANT to have this dog. That first night, I basically slept on the kitchen floor with him curled in my lap. He wouldn't budge from it. Every time I attempted to move, he would instantly wake up and look fearful. So I stayed on the kitchen floor with him. He made me so happy and he broke my heart at the same time. I knew he was abandoned. Someone dumped out this little puppy in the middle of winter to fend for himself. I was so...angry and disgusted but now as bad as it may sound...I'm grateful. I'm lucky to have him. It's their loss. Eddie and I had a rough start. However, I was determined to make it work...there was NO other alternative. I was going to help turn him into a decent well behaved dog or die trying. I almost ended my long term relationship with my boyfriend concerning Eddie because he wanted to take him to the pound. In this circumstance, Eddie came first. I was THAT determined. It was a lot of work.

So if I could tell Eddie exactly how I feel...

Everything I've learned about dogs in the last 2 years has been because of you. It's made me a better dog owner. YOU have made me a better dog owner. I've made plenty of mistakes...too many to name. I still make mistakes. In all honesty, nothing is as important to me as you and Uallis. To some, that may sound sad or as something not "worthy" of feeling such strong emotion toward...but to me, I feel very lucky because there is nothing more beautiful than the innocence and purity of the both of you. To you in particular...your love of LIFE is admirable and I think that everyone should take a lesson from that. I know that I have. You look at a bird flying in the sky as a thing of wonder. Before I didn't notice...now I do. I forgot the joy of playing in the rain but because you, I remembered. Muddy pawprints on my clothes isn't the end of the world...to me its a sign of your love and your excitement of seeing me come home. I look forward to that excitement everyday. I smile over it when the day is hard and I don't feel like I want to keep going. I've learned so much from you and because of you. I have patience now when I didn't have much before. I know that good things will happen if I just keep going. I did that with you. I just kept going and kept working...KNOWING in my heart of hearts that everything would work out. I don't give up on things that are important when I did before. I learned that because of you. When we decided that we wanted to get you a brother...I was more than a little worried. I was afraid of how you'd react not being the center of attention anymore. You played "the big brother" to the hilt, showing Uallis the ropes. You were nothing but gentle with him while he was a little puppy. I was so proud. But not as proud of you as I am today. I look at you and wonder..."What happened to that little 4 legged demon that showed up at my door?" I can't believe that you are the same dog. You may not be the best behaved dog in the world...most would actually say that you weren't well behaved at all...but too me...your perfect. Your exactly what I hoped you'd be. So what I want to say to you...is Thank You for finding your way to me 2 years ago and being in my life. It changed my life in more ways than one. I've never given up on you and I never will. I want nothing more than to give you a wonderful life. You deserve nothing less.

I love you, Bud."

And this is the remix that I made him for his birthday. It has several pictures of our life together over the last 2 years. So its "Eddie" in a nutshell. lol

Hope everyone enjoys it!

Barb04

Super Moderator
I have tears in my eyes. That is a wonderful story of how you met Eddie and how life has been with him. Oh, I can tell how special he is.

I just looked at the pics you put together. I loved them all and also the song you chose.

Mdawn

I have tears in my eyes. That is a wonderful story of how you met Eddie and how life has been with him. Oh, I can tell how special he is.

I just looked at the pics you put together. I loved them all and also the song you chose.
Thanks! He is a very special boy! He's as sweet as can be too! :)

Good deal. Someone gave you a nice gift and he got one too.
That's how I think of it...Someone gave me a very nice gift.

I'm very proud of him and how far he's come. When he first showed up here, I never would have dreamed that he'd be the well behaved boy he is now. I kept telling everyone..."just wait...you'll see how good he can be..." But I don't think that I really believed it even though Eddie and I kept working toward it. Before I met Eddie, my knowledge of dogs was pretty limited. The most I'd done is teach a dog to "sit" and that it. On the day that Eddie actually went into a down-stay and HELD it...I was in 7th heaven. It was a very proud moment for both of us. :)

I just love Eddie. I just have a soft spot in my heart for him.

Dumped- strike one
black lab- strike two

But then you came along and gave him this life.. This life he never would have had. I feel like that with Chance. Even though my stupidity brought him to me, and I sought him out.. but looking at your dog and saying... You would not be alive right now had we not found each other.. It gives you chills doesn't it?

I love Eddie.

Mdawn

I love him too. He's awesome! :)

Your right, it is weird knowing that because of a decision you made in regards to getting/keeping a dog and KNOWING that you possibly saved his life by doing so...it is amazing. And he really works wonders for the bond you develop with that dog. I love my boy, Uallis and can't imagine life without him, but Eddie...he's my heart, you know? And also what I learned with Eddie helped me with Uallis and raising him...so the gift is twofold. I don't feel comfortable with saying that Eddie is my "heart dog" because I don't want to take away from my companionship with Uallis, which is very special too and I don't want to imply that one is more important than the other but the bond I have with Eddie IS different because of what we went through together. Eddie NEEDED me, whereas Uallis would have been just as good in anyone else's home if I didn't get him. With Eddie, if I just took him to the shelter, there is a VERY good chance that he wouldn't be here right now, as my shelter has a high kill rate given his biting behavior and the whole "big, black dog" thing. So it does make a little bit of a difference.

Members online

No members online now.