Beef soup bone...good thing or bad???

oriondw

user not active
Saje said:
That's about what I pay Julie. I can get about three soup bones for between a dollar and two dollars depending on weight. I'd give them everyday if I could afford it! But it's true that they'll chew on them long after they're clean.

You know it's best to freeze them first? And to NEVER feed cooked bones. I'm sure you do but just a reminder...

Coocked soup bones dont shatter like chicken stuff does. Its perfectly safe to feed them this way.

There are certain bones that can be cooked and certain bones that will cut the stomach lining.

Also by soup bones I assume you mean cow legs Cut from thigh to knee?

I give them frozen, too. I can just grab 'em out of the freezer and hand one each to the girls. They warm them up easily with their mouths and have a grand old time chewing on them.

oriondw

user not active
gaddylovesdogs said:
I give them frozen, too. I can just grab 'em out of the freezer and hand one each to the girls. They warm them up easily with their mouths and have a grand old time chewing on them.

That would be my preference as well, and thats what I used to do. My dog one day just refused to eat raw bones period. Maybe he smelled something wrong in the meat? (We buy human grade stuff, the same things we eat).

Since then he only eats them boiled.

I don't know...May can be picky at times, too. Once the meat is off, she usually sits there are stares at the other dogs' bones. She'll chew on it again once it's dry though. The other two will eat anything. :rolleyes:

bubbatd

Some rib bones are sold for soup...I don't like those as I feel they splinter too easily raw or cooked. I like the shank bone or knuckle bone. For a very small dog, the round bone from a round steak will be O.K...leave a little meat on it and the marrow.

Adrienne

I have learned through my raw feeding group that knuckle bones can be teeth breakers and I stay away from them. Any large weight bearing bones can be dangerous to teeth rather than beneficial. Once again, I have in the past fed knuckle bones until I learned that they can be bad.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
all bones are a no no in my house..first off cooked bones have been chemically altered by heat which makes them shatter into shards that can puncture an intestine..a very nasty horrible death...and raw bones can be a choking hazard..a soup bone killed my mother's irish setter as well as teeth problems..so no bone is a good bone.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
they usually don't eat the bone after they get the meat and the marrow out of the middle. They will chew on it for a minute or so and then they are done with it. My dogs, I have noticed, aren't big bone chewers (cabinet chewers they are but not bone chewers).

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
every dog is different..you cant go by what one does and say they all will. there are some dogs that will do their darndest to swallow anything before someone else can get it and can swallow amazingly large things..like a big bone. It isn't worth the risk..not only that old boss said you can take two dogs that are the best of friends..throw in a bone and have a horrible fight.

bubbatd

I agree that all are different.....depends on the dog and the type of chewers . I feel safe with Chip.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I watch my dog very carefully when he has any type of bone. Hannah is just a puppy and I don't feel right giving her a bone yet, and Shelby won't touch the bones for some reason. I watch him though when he has one and he does really good with it. The other two might nibble for a minute but then don't want anything else to do with it.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
generally it's not safe to feed any kind of heat processed bone. regardless if it's cooked, boiled, roasted, barbecued, sterilized - the structure of the bone has been altered and the "gluey" substance that fills the pores of the matrix of a raw bone removed. you all know what this is - gelatin, used for making jello and similar stuff. it's what makes the bones flexible.

of course you need to pick the correct bone for every individual dog, but items like knuckle bones and rib bones are generally very safe. neck bones are a little softer and mostly completely consumable even by moderate chewers.

anyone who is interested in specifics, feel free to have a look here. :)

Members online

No members online now.