Zip Tie

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I just wanted to say you're ALL forgetting about Poppy, who is related to Trav I believe...

And good luck with everything. :D
Lies about Poppy. I do not believe that such a dog exists until I see more than 2 pictures of her.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I am the opposite. I have never liked merle but after settling almost certainly on a breed that is heavily merle for Nextdog, I am liking it more and more. My favorite colors are still masked tricolors and then bicolors but I find myself liking the merles a lot better lately. I think it's a case of loving something for the whole package first and then the more you love it, the more you think it's aesthetically pleasing.
Yeah I'm pretty sure there was a time when I thought all-black dogs were kinda boring and FCR "one piece heads" lacked expression.

Now I think they are classy as all getout and find myself drawn to dogs with little/no flash even in breeds that are normally marked, and think a nice moderate Flatcoat head can hold the sweetest expression the world. Or the naughtiest. The most hopeful and the most reproachful. You get the idea.

I get what you're saying lol

Thanks! Obedience bores me too. lol

I am pretty set on Nextdog's breed but I definitely am interested. I'm sure you'll keep us all posted.
I keep trying to like it but it just doesn't work.

Just wanted to say I'm glad you guys made this thread explaining your thought process. I was a bit taken aback when Zip was chose at birth and it's good to see you're planning to "get him for him" so to speak and breeding decisions will be made later depending on how everyone turns out.

Also glad to see the transparency and welcoming of questions. Establishing a breed like this so far from the location of most of its members while simulltaneously introducing health testing to get a feel for the current state of its individuals is a huge undertaking and will, at the end of the day, take the proverbial village. Best of luck :)
I know, and a lot of our ethical lines continue to be blurred. It's also one of the reasons for going with well established lines because they tend to be more consistent overall.

But yes, at the end of the day these dogs are all gotten for the company and laughter they bring

And Poppy is Traveler's sister from another litter. And she's awesome. Maggie needs to post more pictures or just tell her mother to join.

I heart obedience so hard! That's why I'm stealing Lauren's puppy when it arrives! Because NOW I WILL LIVE IN THE SAME BUILDING! No excuses! :)
I looove heeling but that's about where it ends. Though, my love of heeling is more for crazy pivots, backwards heeling and side steps.

Also, saw your questions but they are more broad so will take a little longer and I keep getting distracted!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I heart obedience so hard! That's why I'm stealing Lauren's puppy when it arrives! Because NOW I WILL LIVE IN THE SAME BUILDING! No excuses! :)
Not to go OT, but there will be no excuses and I will be dropping her off at your doorstep if you try to make any.

SpringerLover

I looove heeling but that's about where it ends. Though, my love of heeling is more for crazy pivots, backwards heeling and side steps.

Also, saw your questions but they are more broad so will take a little longer and I keep getting distracted!
Have you seen Denise Fenzi's "obility" posts? You might like that!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Also, on the subject of having semen shipped. It's still a viable option later one. I've spoken to a couple people who would be willing to get their dogs health tested and are open to the idea of shipping it over. Nothing of course worked out, but we've been feeling around so hopefully one day that might be an option.
That is REALLY cool. I am so looking forward to seeing how things pan out in the next several years for you guys and what might be able to get stirring.

I fully admit I find this all fascinating, and if I weren't already so close to full up and didn't love my shelties so much, my interest in koolies is totally piqued and I would be doing some serious research of my own... but Payton is already my PITA dog so I do NOT need another one LOL.
until I breed him and get a Payton baby anyway, most likely.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
My question that I've never asked is... how do you plan to establish a breeding program?

The pairing of Zing or Didgie and Zip is going to produce at least a puppy for each, right? And this is a long-lived breed... where will ALL THE DOGS GO?! :D

But, more seriously... how many are usually in a litter and do you plan on keeping bitches on co-owns with people so you keep your actual numbers down or...? And what's going to keep the breed from becoming just a pet if there's not going to be a definition of work in the US?

I'm not interrogating, or at least meaning to... just these are questions that have been running through my mind since the start of this Koolie importing stuffs. :)
I guess I've been thinking this, but more of... won't all your breeding dogs be... related? LOL

As far as where all the dogs will go. That's easy. They'll all come to me.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I am the opposite. I have never liked merle but after settling almost certainly on a breed that is heavily merle for Nextdog, I am liking it more and more. My favorite colors are still masked tricolors and then bicolors but I find myself liking the merles a lot better lately. I think it's a case of loving something for the whole package first and then the more you love it, the more you think it's aesthetically pleasing.
My money's on Aussie!

I hope I win :D

My question that I've never asked is... how do you plan to establish a breeding program?

The pairing of Zing or Didgie and Zip is going to produce at least a puppy for each, right? And this is a long-lived breed... where will ALL THE DOGS GO?! :D

But, more seriously... how many are usually in a litter and do you plan on keeping bitches on co-owns with people so you keep your actual numbers down or...? And what's going to keep the breed from becoming just a pet if there's not going to be a definition of work in the US?

I'm not interrogating, or at least meaning to... just these are questions that have been running through my mind since the start of this Koolie importing stuffs. :)
It seems to range litter size wise, seems like any from 4-8 seems common. Sara and I have discussed this a couple times and I think were we ended up was hoping to co-own with people along with non-breeding (but negotiable) contracts for the others. I don't have a desire at this time to own a large number of dogs and neither does Sara. Nor do we in any way intend to be pumping out more puppies than we know what to do with. Interest in the breed is ever growing and so is the desire for proven health tested dogs. Between that and the different locations Sara and I are in, along with a rather heavy online presence I don't worry about not being able to place. And if that happens, well I'll have an extra dog living with me than I planned on and wouldn't be breeding again until there was a larger desire.

I'm not sure exactly though what you mean about "what's going to keep the breed from becoming just a pet if there's not going to be a definition of work in the US", could you explain that a bit more?

I guess I've been thinking this, but more of... won't all your breeding dogs be... related? LOL
Yep, Didgie, Traveler and Zinga all come from a rather heavily line bred line along with Didgie and Zinga being sisters. Which is one of the reasons we were tickled with the Shiva/Skandal cross because it outcrosses to a completely different but well liked line. Along with that Traveler (if I ever do breed him) is, while not from an outcross directly, from the product of an outcross.

In addition, since this isn't a little or quick undertaking, I'm hoping either we end up importing another dog from different lines, someone brings in a dog from different lines with breeding intentions and so on.

Kilter

For obedience, there is rally-o which is a bit more 'fun', and even if you don't like it, it would be a good venue to showcase the breed - same as conformation, agility, etc... the more events you can get the breed into, the more people will know about them and the better homes you'll get in the long run. Just saying! Herding of course too for that matter.

And yes, if you have limited breeding dogs you will breed into a corner eventually, so you'd have to decide if you want to have tight lines or excuse the lack of clearances on stud dogs from down under. But that happens in almost any breed, as breeders tend to keep girls and breed to nearby stud dogs, or the one that's winning who happens to be the son of another dog that's winning and so on.

For obedience, there is rally-o which is a bit more 'fun', and even if you don't like it, it would be a good venue to showcase the breed - same as conformation, agility, etc... the more events you can get the breed into, the more people will know about them and the better homes you'll get in the long run. Just saying! Herding of course too for that matter.
I don't think you saw it but I did say I do like Rally! I find it more fun and Traveler has his RL1 in APDT rally

And yes, if you have limited breeding dogs you will breed into a corner eventually, so you'd have to decide if you want to have tight lines or excuse the lack of clearances on stud dogs from down under. But that happens in almost any breed, as breeders tend to keep girls and breed to nearby stud dogs, or the one that's winning who happens to be the son of another dog that's winning and so on.
I think it's going to be an ever evolving issue and one I hope we handle in the best way possible. But, I do think as times change, newer, younger breeders start up, sport becomes more popular and we meet/get to know even more people the amount of dogs getting health tested and cleared will start to rise. Which bodes well for us!

thehoundgirl

The whole litter is just so cute! You're going to have lots of fun with Zip Tie! :) I love the one your friend might be getting.. but I really love them all. Such cute and good looking puppies! :D

I fully admit I find this all fascinating, and if I weren't already so close to full up and didn't love my shelties so much, my interest in koolies is totally piqued and I would be doing some serious research of my own... but Payton is already my PITA dog so I do NOT need another one LOL.
until I breed him and get a Payton baby anyway, most likely.
By the way, I'm picturing the chaos, destruction and all around hysterics that would happen with Payton and a Koolie working together. It's amazing and terrifying.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I really do appreciate the openness you guys - I know it's hard to have so many questions chucked at you, but it's so nice to get the whole picture, too. :)

I really do appreciate the openness you guys - I know it's hard to have so many questions chucked at you, but it's so nice to get the whole picture, too. :)
I'm just sorry no one felt like they could ask them! I really really try to be as candid as possible about things and I don't want anyone to feel like they are over stepping boundaries by asking either on here, privately or whatever.

And with that I'm off to work! Tagging Sara in!

Members online

No members online now.