peeing in her sleep

jbravo

I recently got a lab puppy and for the most part she is easy to train but she will pee in her sleep. This is obviously annoying as she smells like it all the time no matter how much we wash her. I know that puppies have very little bladder control and we are crate training her but she has no problem peeing all over herself. Then when we let her out she starts wagging her tail and it goes everywhere. Luckily she saves the #2 for the paper or the yard.

Also I think she got spooked by our lawn guy the other day and she wont go outside except in the immediate front yard. She used to go on good walks before this incident and now wont leave the yard.

Any help is much appreciated she is such a good dog except for these two issues. Thanks

Btw she is 10 weeks We have had her for about 1 week
Got her from a friend who owns the mother and father both golden labs.
Is somewhat paper trained and has first cycle of shots

maxtressus

Most puppies in my experience don't like to do their business where they are living so this presents a new issue.

How often do you take her out to go to the bathroom? If she is having trouble I would say go out every half an hour for the next week, then try it with her every hour.

As for the lawn guy, I would just start going out further and further in little increments. Build her confidence in the outdoors and in you.

Hope that helps
Max.

jbravo

Between me and my girlfriend who lives with me, we take her out at least every hour, when we are home, she is rarely alone more than 4-5 hours. I am bewildered because I will take her out and she will go to the bathroom a good amount. I praise her and bring her back inside or play outside for about an hour at most then she goes back into the cage to sleep and proceeds to go in her sleep. I have watched her doing this and it just slowly dribbles out like she is just relaxed but she doesnt seem to mind it. Hopefully she outgrows this like a child wetting the bed. thanks for the advice.

bubbatd

I would never expect a pup that young to hold it for 5 hours .......

lizzybeth727

So she's literally asleep and peeing at the same time? I've heard of a few puppies who do this, and always suggested a vet visit just to check and make sure there's nothing physically wrong. I don't think it's normal for puppies that old to still be peeing in their sleep.

And I don't think 5 hours is too long to expect a normal, 10 week old lab puppy to hold it while she's sleeping at night. But it could be too long if there's a physical problem.

milos_mommy

I vote vet check...not normal for her to pee in her sleep, at least not regularly.

jbravo

Some answers to your questions:

No she is not spayed
She rarely is actually in there(crate) for 5 hours unless it is at night.
This is not an occasional thing everytime she wakes up she is wet on her hind legs and tail. Then she gets excited and it shakes everywhere. This is making it difficult to get her on a schedule and to train her to go outside as there is no need to take her out when she is done napping.

I am concerned she may have a bladder infection or something similar that is making it harder for her to control the peeing because she has no problem when going #2. She will even tell me by going to the door and whining. I am going to take her to the vet. I was hoping to wait until her next round of shots at 12 weeks.

As for the fear of outside it is getting better quickly and as a bonus I know that she knows her home because she runs back to it :D

Thanks again for all the advice

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm thinking a bladder infection. I'd get her checked out by the vet. Let us know what happens.

lizzybeth727

Just so you know - bladder infections are VERY PAINFUL. I wouldn't wait two weeks to take her to the vet, I'd do it ASAP. Also, the longer she does this behavior the more she'll learn that it's ok, and even after the physical problem is "fixed" she might still want to do the behavior.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
Did the vet find anything wrong? I have never personally seen a puppy who peed in her sleep (and I've seen a lot of puppies :p) This isn't so uncommon in old dogs, but I'd be interested to know what caused it in a baby.

Hope she's feeling better.

Members online

No members online now.