what vaccinations?

P

Purdue#1

i have 2 cats, Tino and Ernie. they were handraised by a vet tech because their mother wouldn't feed them. I thought they had their shots, but they don't. we never vaccinated cats before, there was really no need, but Tino got attacked by another cat about a month ago. I just now looked (more like found)at their health records that came with them. the vaccines i know the most about are distemper and rabies. are there any others i should be concerned about?
I read a book i have and it said something about a three-way vaccine, but didn't tell anything about it.

It sounds like they are outside at least part of the time (unless the one was attacked by another cat in the home), so I would get the feline leukemia/Feline AIDS vaccine. I would also get the panleukopenia shot, which is cat distemper. And Rabies of course, that is required by law in many places. Our cat is indoors only, so he only get his rabies shot, but it is different for an outside cat.

I would NOT get an FIV vaccine for one because the cat will always test positive for it then, and it is extremely hard to spread especially if your cat is neutered.

Just get a combo vaccine, FVRCP or whatever your vet offers, for distemper panleuk, Rhino, Calici, FeLV, Rabies of course. Dewormer while you are at it. Get one round of vaccines at least. I don't know what you mean by there was never a need to have it done before. You can bring all sorts of diseases in yourself just on your shoes or things outside, bugs can bring disease in, it is always necessary. What isn't necessary is the excessive amount of vaccines that people give there cats. Yearly is just ridiculous. Those vaccines are good for YEARS. No reason to have it redone every single year. I only do once EVER. But I do my own vaccines, since I rescue.

oh and make sure they are altered too if they are outdoors, well either way, indoors or outdoors, it will keep them healthier and friendlier too!

P

Purdue#1

The cats that we had never got sick or in a fight and mostly fended for themselves. That's why they were never vaccinated and some that were around here never let you within 10 foot of them. our one cat Mamma that we had only liked to go in the garage when it was extremely cold outside, but most of the time she stayed outside. She was about 6 when we even got her spayed. When i joined this forum is when i learned that spaying her and her albino grand daughter was a very good idea. Whitey never had kittens(praying hands towards heaven).

tino and ernie were neutered about a month after we got them. they lived inside when we first got them and we slowly started taking them outside so they could get used to being outside. I told mom that when they mature they would start spraying and fighting with each other if they are not neutered. Plus they will wander if they are outside long enough.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I was skittish about over vaccinating cats long before the industry finally admitted that VAS is real. Many cats have suffered from Vaccine sarcomas and they are deadly. I would suggest the first year of vaccinations, do a FELV test rather than the vaccination, if the cat is negative and isn't going to be exposed to outdoors or other FELV positive cats, skip it. Give the rabies shot and do a panel for the other diseases, FIV, etc. Get the distemper/combo shot and then revaccinate at the year mark. Once you test for these things, it will ease your mind that they didn't pick these diseases up from fights, etc. Really, most of the devastating diseases in cats require prolonged contact with infected cats. After you do the tests and combo shots, if your cats are indoors, just do the rabies per Law on the second year and skip the rest for life. Seriously, the fewer vaccinations you give cats, the better the chances you won't lose a cat to VAS.

Members online

No members online now.