What dog food for puppies do you think is best?

Doggish.Obsession

Bombed To-Be Puppy Owner
Just a questoin because all I do know is wait for Feburary the 28. (I get my puppies then)

So.....

What puppy food do you think is best?
Which one do you recommend? (I'm getting two maltese puppies that will be 40 days old.)

Saje

Island dweller
Make sure you don't get your pups before 8 weeks. However many days that is....

Innova is a great food. Canidae. NaturalBalance. Eagle Pack...

Mordy's got a great site www.mordanna.com/dogfood

Doggish.Obsession

Bombed To-Be Puppy Owner
Saje said:
Make sure you don't get your pups before 8 weeks. However many days that is....

Innova is a great food. Canidae. NaturalBalance. Eagle Pack...

Mordy's got a great site www.mordanna.com/dogfood
Why? The lady who owns the female that has the pups said she's... ACtually, she didnt say anything. *blinks*

But at least forty days. Thats the minimum right?

8 weeks is 56 days. Not a HUGE difference is there?

Saje

Island dweller
Yes, the puppies learn a lot from their mom during that period. Like bite inhibition. They SHOULD be getting a lot of schooling from the breeder as well. If it's a good breeder.

Doggish.Obsession

Bombed To-Be Puppy Owner
Saje said:
Yes, the puppies learn a lot from their mom during that period. Like bite inhibition. They SHOULD be getting a lot of schooling from the breeder as well. If it's a good breeder.

Lol The breeder isnt good. The breeder doesnt even know how to help the female give birth! (LOL) I know its not a laughing matter but...

'Cause all we did was let my dog mate, and then POOF! Puppies! :p

Saje

Island dweller
:( That's really too bad. You'll probably have even more work. I hope you spay/neuter these pups. You're not paying for them are you? if you are, don't. You will only encourage the breeder to keep doing what she's doing.

Doggish.Obsession

Bombed To-Be Puppy Owner
Saje said:
:( That's really too bad. You'll probably have even more work. I hope you spay/neuter these pups. You're not paying for them are you? if you are, don't. You will only encourage the breeder to keep doing what she's doing.
Nonono I think I'm leading you to think she's some horrible woman. No. Its just that my parents own a store, and one day, as a customer, she came and my dog just mounted her and on that spot they got married. *blinks*

Heh... Heh....

Saje

Island dweller
She may be nice but letting unaltered dogs have contact with each other is very irresponsible. That's why millions of dogs get put to sleep each year. It's very sad.

Fran27

Either way, 40 days is way too early, plus if you get two they are more likely to bond to each other and not you. You'll have to spend lots of time with each of them and seperate them at night. But first thing, tell her she needs to wait 8 weeks before giving the puppies!

Doggish.Obsession

Bombed To-Be Puppy Owner
Fran27 said:
Either way, 40 days is way too early, plus if you get two they are more likely to bond to each other and not you. You'll have to spend lots of time with each of them and seperate them at night. But first thing, tell her she needs to wait 8 weeks before giving the puppies!
B-b-but.....

I'll Proabably POP A FRIGGING BLOOD VESSEL BY THEN!

:mad:

Saje

Island dweller
Better now while you're waiting then over the next six months when you are dealing with socialization problems. :(

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
We tried Innova's new puppy formula and Merrick Puppy Plate and decided on Innova. The Innova is working very well and puppy seems to enjoy it very much. (if gobbling the entire plate down is any indication)

We didnt get our puppy until 14 weeks and she came very well socialized. She is very good with people. Our first puppy came at 8 weeks and although she was a great dog her whole life she was not very good with new people. It did take her awhile to adjust. I think this had to do with her age and the inexperience of the breeder.

Good Luck
Elissa

Serena

There are varying opinions on what food is best for dogs...

As a general rule stay away from grocery store brands...(Pedigree, Purina, Kibbles n Bits, ect...they are chock full of harmful chemicals and preservatives that will end up compromising your dogs health.

Brands such as Science Diet, Eukanuba, and Iams are really not much better than your grocery store brands..they are slightly better but the ingredient list still is not great and for what you are getting they are overpriced...The appeal in these foods are vets recommend them, most people don't realize that very few vets actually have the education and training behind them to be considered reliable sources in animal nutrition.

If your looking for a good brand of kibble that is worth the money then look at brands like Innova, Canidae, Flint River Ranch, ect...these brands are a bit pricy but their ingredient list is better, they are free of harmful chemicals and preservatives and therefore are healthier for your dog..a healthier dog means less expenses at the vet due to having to treat ailments that could easily be avoided by proper nutrition..

Whole Dog Journal will give you some excellent recommendations for what kibbles to feed.

And of course there is the alternative of not feeding kibble at all and going with a homecooked or raw diet.

In whatever diet you feed research first there is so much information available to help pet owners become more knowledgeable on animal nutrition..

Now in regards to you getting your new puppies....

There are so many concerns brought up...The person you are getting your pups from is letting them go far too early not only will they miss out on learning critical behavioral skills (like bite inhibition as was already mentioned) but you are getting a toy breed and the absolute minimum this breed should be allowed to go their new homes is 12 weeks.

You have already said yourself the breeder is not a good one and doesn't even know the basics of whelping, if she does not know the basics of breeding then it will go to reason she probably does not have a well bred dog. I will also venture a guess and say that your dog (which your post indicates sired this litter is a pet and not a breeding dog and probably has not been tested for genetic disease)

You could be setting yourself up for heartache in a pup that ends up with painful inherit temperamental or genetic disorders...

Every animal brought into this world deserves every chance to live a life free of painful genetic and tempermament disorders...Genetics are never a guarantee and even if the most careful breeding there are risks and gambles..The only thing a breeder can do is take every possible precaution in reducing the risk of painful genetic and temperament disorders by selective breeding and screening of prospective breeding dogs..

The breeding of these dogs is already done, but please do make sure that in addition to waiting the proper time period before bringing them home (trust me when I say the wait will be worth it) you have them spayed or neutered and please have your present dog neutered as well to avoid this situation from happening again....breeding is a difficult path, it can often end in heartache and it is a path best left to those who have the knowledge to do it the right way.

Good luck with your new pups. :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Doggish.Obsession said:
B-b-but.....

I'll Proabably POP A FRIGGING BLOOD VESSEL BY THEN!

:mad:
You'll pop even more if you get them too early. So it's either one blood vessel and a good puppy or an anyuerism (sp? just woke up..) and a holy terror.

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
I agree that the pups will be too early and those few days will make a whole lot of difference. Speaking from someone who learned the hard way, my beagle was 6 weeks when I brought him home. The irresponsible breeder lied to me and told me he was 8 weeks. I have had problems with his biting big time, so I would just say to be prepared to have your work cut out for you, especially being that you're getting 2 from the same litter.

Members online

No members online now.