RECALL: Dogsell & Catswell brand duck & chicken jerky

Barb04

Super Moderator
July 26, 2013 — Arthur Dogswell LLC has today announced it is voluntarily withdrawing certain Dogswell and Catswell brand duck or chicken jerky treats with a “Best Before†date of January 28th, 2015 (or any earlier date).

The vast majority of these products were distributed via retail stores and mail order companies before March 1st, 2013.
These products may contain trace amounts of an antibiotic residue that has not been approved for use in the United States.
According to a letter posted by Dogswell, the affected jerky treats were made in China.
There is no evidence that products containing trace amounts of this antibiotic pose a health risk for pets or humans.
The company is taking this action after learning this week that the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets (NYSDAM) found trace amounts of the additive during a routine product sampling.
Antibiotics are commonly used, both in the USA and other markets, when raising animals fit for human consumption. And the antibiotic in question is accepted for use in poultry in other parts of the world.
What’s Being Recalled?

The withdrawn products include Chicken Breast and Duck Breast jerky marketed under the following brand names:
  • Breathies
  • Happy Heart
  • Happy Hips
  • Mellow Mut
  • Shape Up
  • Veggie Life
  • Vitality
  • Vitakitty
The affected products contain a “Best Before†(or earlier) date of January 28th, 2015. No other products are affected.
Additionally, Chicken Breast and Duck Breast jerky products with a “Best Before†date of January 29th, 2015 and later have been fully tested for these antibiotics and are not affected.
The “Best Before†date can be found stamped in black ink on the back of the package on the bottom right hand side.

July 26, 2013 — Arthur Dogswell LLC has today announced it is voluntarily withdrawing certain Dogswell and Catswell brand duck or chicken jerky treats with a “Best Before†date of January 28th, 2015 (or any earlier date).

The vast majority of these products were distributed via retail stores and mail order companies before March 1st, 2013.
These products may contain trace amounts of an antibiotic residue that has not been approved for use in the United States.
According to a letter posted by Dogswell, the affected jerky treats were made in China.
There is no evidence that products containing trace amounts of this antibiotic pose a health risk for pets or humans.
The company is taking this action after learning this week that the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets (NYSDAM) found trace amounts of the additive during a routine product sampling.
Antibiotics are commonly used, both in the USA and other markets, when raising animals fit for human consumption. And the antibiotic in question is accepted for use in poultry in other parts of the world.
What’s Being Recalled?

The withdrawn products include Chicken Breast and Duck Breast jerky marketed under the following brand names:
  • Breathies
  • Happy Heart
  • Happy Hips
  • Mellow Mut
  • Shape Up
  • Veggie Life
  • Vitality
  • Vitakitty
The affected products contain a “Best Before†(or earlier) date of January 28th, 2015. No other products are affected.
Additionally, Chicken Breast and Duck Breast jerky products with a “Best Before†date of January 29th, 2015 and later have been fully tested for these antibiotics and are not affected.
The “Best Before†date can be found stamped in black ink on the back of the package on the bottom right hand side.
I don't understand why would anyone buy any food product, whether for humans or pets that are made in China.
Roger Biduk

Barb04

Super Moderator
Roger, I did want to respond that sometimes the manufacturers make it almost impossible to find where the product was made on the package. They make the writing so small and put it in a spot that you keep over looking. My friend bought a bag of expensive jerky and sent me some. It took me 5 minutes before I could find made in china in extremely small lettering. I wish writing on packages for pets and for humans was made in big enough lettering for all to read without using a magnifying glass.

Roger, I did want to respond that sometimes the manufacturers make it almost impossible to find where the product was made on the package. They make the writing so small and put it in a spot that you keep over looking. My friend bought a bag of expensive jerky and sent me some. It took me 5 minutes before I could find made in china in extremely small lettering. I wish writing on packages for pets and for humans was made in big enough lettering for all to read without using a magnifying glass.
Hi Barb,
Yeah, it's incredible and from what I've seen over the years, nothing surprises me.

In many cases, it'll say on the box "packaged in the U.S." [or Canada] but the actual product is sent in bulk from China.
Roger Biduk

Members online