More Palom vibes :(

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Well, we've been through the ringer. :( He's been on the triple treatment for helicobacter/ECE for almost two weeks, and there's been little improvement. He still eats and drinks fine, but his poops are all over the place. Some are almost normal, some are tiny, some are wet, some are seedy, and as of yesterday we're seeing green, gelatinous poop. We're back to the vet today at 1:30pm.

The vet told me last time that the next step is bloodwork to rule out unlikely causes, then if they're ruled out, diagnose as IBD (irritable bowel disorder) and treat with prednisone. The bloodwork step seems very... wasteful, to me. $270 for bloodwork that will probably prove negative anyway? I almost just want to tell them to go ahead and start treating for IBD, since that's probably what it is at this point and Palom doesn't have much weight left to lose. :(

I know the appointment is soon so I probably won't hear many opinions beforehand... I do trust my vet, though. She isn't one to push any costly measures on me without good reason, especially since I've had revolving-door vet trips with Palom over the past two weeks (they've been giving me discounts on my consults). If she feels comfortable leaving the decision up to me, I'll probably just forego the bloodwork. I'd rather assume it's the most likely situation and get him going on prednisone and possibly a bland diet and get him on the mend. He's so thin, frail and tired. Poor guy.

Prednisone treatments will suck, because his immune system will be very compromised. This means he has to stay inside for awhile, and may not be able to have his buddies visit for awhile. :( Also he doesn';t seem to like eating wet food on its own, and he'll probably have to go on a bland wet diet. We'll see... but if it means he gets better it's worth the fight.

So yeah, that's our update. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks so much for the support thus far. <3

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Poor Palom :( If I were in your shoes I would forgo the bloodwork as well and just start treatment. If it isn't IBD it's not like there would be any significant negative side effects for trying treatment, and what exactly would bloodwork show?

I hope treatment helps hun!

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
The bloodwork showed no conclusvie results towards any labeled illness. It did show plumetted protein levels and severe infection that is no doubt causing him pain, which I can see on his face. He's either septic or is going to be. There's not really any treatment at this point.

We're going ina t 1:30pm to help him over the bridge. Please keep us in your thoughts.

Brattina88

:( I am SO sorry
((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Barb04

Super Moderator
My heart goes out to you. May Palom go in peace and be running free. Hugs.

Members online

No members online now.