Breed suggestions (not for me)

Dekka

Just try me..
Most of my exp has NOT been with LHW. As I said we owned (for a while) pretty much the only LC equip in the province. We coursed EVERYTHING. Things from training days, fun days to the Saluki specialty. I just don't see what the common 'sayings' are. And most people I talk only have owned their breed, I have known just as many off breeds that kill cats and rabbits as I have sighthounds. So I don't think, from my experience that they are any more 'dangerous' than any other dog. (apart from the die hard racing/hunting bred dogs)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I thought an adult Lab would be the perfect fit, too. Puppies can be a little...crazy...but as adults they become much more sane. I would just contact breeders and describe what she wants and see if they have dogs that would fit the bill. Same goes with Rotties, really. They'd be more prone for DA than a lab, but I have met some awesome Rotties that I'd take home in a heart beat - and their energy level was comparable to a Labrador, if not even more mellow than some Labs I know.

I also thought English Mastiff. Granted I've only ever known "pet bred" mastiffs, but most of the "well bred" pet bred ones were absolutely freaking awesome.

Or maybe a smooth coated Saint Bernard, if she likes Swissies? All of the Saints I've known have been absolute mushes. Most were DA to an extent (not sure how true to standard that is), but they were all great dogs.

Do any of our Collie owners here have any hands on experience they'd be willing to share? As far as what they're like to live with and train, anyway. I'd really appreciate it. :)
I grew up with a collie and I'd say if most collies are anything like Rex was, a collie would be a great fit!

- Minimal grooming (smooth or short coat much preferred. Hairless is ok too.)
My guy was a rough collie so he required a bit of grooming here and there, but they do come in a smooth variety so she'd be set there!

- Minimal exercise requirements
Rex was just as happy to go for a walk as he was to lounge around the house. He was super-laid back and pretty content to do whatever you wanted.

- Not known for DA or SSA
My guy had no problems with other dogs

- Friendly and happy with people and other dogs
Rex loved everyone and everything as soon as he met them.

- Eager to learn and willing to please
Rex was smart and super willing to please.

- Large (50lbs and over)
Rex was a BEAST haha He was big for a collie, but normal sized ones are still on the large size.

- Relatively healthy and known to live generally at least 10 years
Rex lived to be around 12-13 years old. He was pretty much healthy up until the end. He might have lived a while longer if I had known what I know now about proper canine nutrition and the like.

- Not too noisy (doesn't want a dog that will bark at every little thing)
He was pretty quiet. He only really barked when we were mixing up his food to feed him and it was only in the last few years of his life that he even did that.

- Ability to be off leash reliably (no hounds)
We didn't have him off leash often unless it was in our back yard, but the few times we did I can't remember any problems with recall. Even the few times he got loose he would just lay in our front yard or our neighbor's yard across the street haha He didn't like to stray too far from his family.

momto8

Except the that most people don't find them to be eager to learn/easy to train. And the off leash reliability greatly depends on the situation. Of course, the can be true of any dog but a dog with a low prey drive is generally easier.

I don't know how many Collies are under 50lbs? I've known quite a few in the 60-80lb range.

I have to agree with the sigthound comment! I know a few Ibizan people that have off leash Ibizans, yes they had to do intense training and they have to be closely monitored and not put into certain situations, but they do have times they can be off leash. Courtney and I have been working on recalls for lure coursing and I'm finding out that she has an excellent recall, never more than a few feet from me unless I send her away and call her back. Our puppy will start all his training off leash and hopefully be like his mom that goes off leash hiking with her mom alot! However I would not recommend an Ibizan due to the minimal exercise requested lol!

Our Collie is right at 50lbs, but she is a rescue from a byb...so i doubt she is the size she should be. And to add our Collie is very barky, she barks for no reason sometimes lol! A day does not go by without her barking at least 5 + times a day, something that takes a bit of getting used to at first.

Members online