Is this a coincidence?

nancy2394

When my cousin Renea died last week, I took the suggestion of putting an article of her clothing in the kennel with her dog General she left behind to comfort him. My aunt put the t shirt she passed away in inside the kennel with him a few days ago and she just called me a little while ago and said General isn't eating.

She said he was eating the first few days after Renea's death, but he's lost interest in food since she put Renea's t shirt in the kennel with him. She asked me if dogs can smell death and I didn't know what to tell her. I suggested she swap out that t shirt with another one in her closet. We just figured that since that was freshly worn by Renea that it would have her scent real strong for him to smell. I never thought about the smell of death being on the clothes... I guess it's possible.

It's been a few days since General has eaten much of anything. What do we do?? He doesn't get fed table food at all because he throws up after he does... so he's been used to eating his canned food and dry food and he loves the can food. My aunt puts the can food in his bowl and he'll sniff it and maybe take a bite or two and then walks away and lies down somewhere.

I told her that he's still grieving the loss of his momma and that when he's hungry enough he'll eat. But she's all worried about him. I told her I would come to this chat and ask if anyone had any other input on the situation.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
I agree Grammy poor thing doesnt know what is going on. Give him lots and lots of love and time, he will be ok just will take some time

nancy2394

He's getting lots of attention and love. I know it will just take him some time. I guess we were just wondering how long he can go without eating much of anything before we should worry. He's still peeing... and plenty of it. In fact, he got up on Renea's bed the other night and urinated from one end of the bed to the other. He's never done that before. I know he's grieving, and I wish we could make it go away for him. It breaks my heart to see him so lost and so sad. I just hope he'll start eating again, it would ease our minds if he would.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
well as long as he is still drinking that is a good sign. It's not likely that he will starve himself to death but its always good to keep an eye on him. Although I am sure it's bad a bad practice for fear it might become habit but maybe try hand feeding him a little bit of food every now and then and see if he will eat.

nancy2394

that's a good idea sparks, I will tell my aunt to hand feed him and see if he's interested in the food that way. I keep telling her don't worry.. he'll eat when he's good and hungry. I guess it's just hard to sit back and watch a dog walk away from his food when you know he hasn't eaten much of anything for a few days now. But for now.. he is still peeing. Even though we dont' really see him drinking that much.

Make sure to keep him active and dsistracted to, don't just let him mope. Take him for long walks and hikes, play with him and have puppy play dates. The added activity will not only help him "bounce back" faster but it will also stimulate his appetite more.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
oc_spirit said:
Make sure to keep him active and dsistracted to, don't just let him mope. Take him for long walks and hikes, play with him and have puppy play dates. The added activity will not only help him "bounce back" faster but it will also stimulate his appetite more.

That is a great idea as well. Showing him that it is still OK to have fun even though his misses his mommy will help him cope. Also if your aunt knows any choice phrases that your cousin used regularly or little pet names she used she could also try those.

nancy2394

thanks for the suggestions, i really appreciate it. It's hard to sit here and think of obvious things we could be doing with him to help him cope when I am still grieving myself. My aunt keeps falling apart and crying which I think makes General even more upset. Today was the day Renea's ashes were picked up. So, I guess my aunt is setting up some kind of shrine in Renea's room with all her things. I have the roses from the funeral hang drying in my garage right now. Maybe I will have my aunt bring General down to my house to play with my little Lola who's now 9 months old. He loves to play with her.. maybe it will distract him from his moping.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
nancy also if you can maybe go get some nutrical for him, and just put a squirt on your finger or on his tongue. That will give him some vitamins at least.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
nancy2394 said:
thanks for the suggestions, i really appreciate it. It's hard to sit here and think of obvious things we could be doing with him to help him cope when I am still grieving myself. My aunt keeps falling apart and crying which I think makes General even more upset. Today was the day Renea's ashes were picked up. So, I guess my aunt is setting up some kind of shrine in Renea's room with all her things. I have the roses from the funeral hang drying in my garage right now. Maybe I will have my aunt bring General down to my house to play with my little Lola who's now 9 months old. He loves to play with her.. maybe it will distract him from his moping.

That is totally understandable. Perhaps the dog is also picking up on the sadness in your aunt and yourself. It is just going to be a long road to recovery for all of you. He will snap out of it eventually

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
poor dog..Poor REnea's Mom..just sorry for everyone..i am sure it wasn't the shirt..just reality sinking in. Just so sorry for everyone and hope that time will ease their grief and yours.

Members online