A few of the best from my trip to Europe

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
It's been 10 months, but I finally got the pictures onto my computer and am starting to organize them. This is a bit of a random selection, but they're some of what I feel are the best pictures I took while there.

Photos were taken on my film camera, which I'm not used to using anymore, so they're not perfect but I'm happy either way.

May 6-23 2008: Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels.

Gardens we went to in Holland. Tulip season was over, but it was still very pretty. (I might try my hand at some serious photo-editing to see if I can take that person out of this picture)

Same gardens.

Narrowest house in the world. Amsterdam.

The only picture I took in the Red Light District. There's a neat story behind this.

This one should be obvious. Me+Eiffel Tower=Very happy Julia in Paris.

I took quite a few shots of the tower, most of them turned out lovely if I can say so myself.

Almost under it.

Yes, this is crooked on purpose, though I still think it could have been framed better.

Matt on the banks of the Seine.

Self portrait. Look in Matt's sunglasses!! (That's Versaille).

*3 more*

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly

Standing on the Japanese footbridge in Monet's gardens.

The Japanese footbridge. Monet's gardens.

And this one I'm adding for fun. My friends, this is the Mona Lisa. I don't get the hype.

xpaeanx

Great pics!!!! looks like you had a lot of fun!!! I'm jealous.

maybe one of these days I can get my old desktop going... I've got some great pics from when I lived in Germany in it.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
those are great :D

I wanna hear the story behind that one pic you took ?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
those are great :D

I wanna hear the story behind that one pic you took ?
well since you asked :)

Apparently that just appeared in the road one night. It's right in a central part of the RLD, (right next to Old Church IIRC) and the city had it removed (since it wasn't commissioned or anything, technically equal to vandalism). People put up a stink, apparently they liked it, so it was returned.

There's a lot of speculation about what the piece means. The artist never came forward, so no one knows what it was actually intended to represent. Obviously the hand over the breast symbolizes the prostitution in the Red Light District, but that lock on the corner? It's part of the art. It's not locking it down, it's just there. Who's being portrayed as locked/chained/restrained in that situation? The prostitute? The client? Society? Deep stuff right there ;)

I guess I just liked it as anyone passing by it on the streets might not give it much thought, given where it's placed, and there's more to it than meets the eye.

(Learned this from a tour guide, I learned a LOT about Amsterdam on that tour!)

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I honestly have NO IDEA how I missed this thread.
Those are some great pictures. The Eiffel Tower is so breath taking. I'm so jealous you go to go but glad you had fun. :)

Members online

No members online now.