GREAT DANES - DRY or WET MOUTH BREED???

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
Are Danes considered a dry or wet mouth breed? I have always been in love with the breed and would love to share my life with one - my husband however will never own another "slobbery dog" (aka Bodi) again. By the way, Berners are listed as a dry mouth breed.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Er, you're out of luck then..... most of them are very wet-mouthed. If you find one without big flews, I imagine it would drool much much less, but then it really wouldn't look like a Dane in the head.

I've known drooly danes and less drooly danes....never completely dry.

Heck, even Sophie drools if she smells something yummy and makes a total mess when she drinks.:p

Pretty wet mouthed. Most are not excessively so when they are in "relax" mode, but when enticed by food, after eating or drinking, when panting, etc, then the drool flows.

Beware of any breeder who tells you they have a "dry mouthed" line. It's rubbish.

Hannah leaves a wet puddle by her head when she sleeps. So she lays on a blanket or towel that can be washed. It's icky, but after 15 years with the breed, it doesn't bother me a bit.

Also, be aware that euro danes will be more drooly than the ambred danes.

But yes, unfortunately for those that don't like drool, danes will likely not fit in well for them. I've found slingers on my ceiling fan blades before....

Not a full Dane ... but I had a huge GSD/Dane mix rescue dog and he never freely drooled despite being somewhat "jowly".

However .... every time he drank water he dribbled it all over, and if you were the person he greeted right after he drank water then yes ... you were gonna get wet. But water-wet, not drool-wet ... dried fast with no slime factor. :)

my husband however will never own another "slobbery dog" (aka Bodi) again.
Ooohhh ...in that case probably best to go with an adult rescue. Once they're fully grown it's easier to tell if they're drooly ... can't really tell with a puppy or young not-fully-grown dog.

Members online

No members online now.