Ivomec Dosage??

FG167

Smallest dog is 20 lbs, largest is 80 lbs. I am having a hard time finding out how to dose out Ivermectin. It's costing us $180/MONTH to use Trifexis. So...I googled and found this, does this seem accurate?

1) Take 1 ml (10 mg) of Ivomec***65533; 1% and dilute it to 10 ml total volume which gives a concentration of 10 mg in 10ml solution. Propylene glycol is readily available so it may be used: 1 ml Ivomec***65533; 1% Inj. + 9 ml propylene glycol = 10 ml diluted solution with a concentration of 10 milligrams / 10ml which is the same as 10,000 micrograms / 10ml or 1,000 micrograms per 1 milliliter since 1 milligram = 1,000 micrograms. Label this: ***65533;ivermectin 1,000 mcg / 1ml dilution***65533; and write the date on the label of when it was prepared.

2) The dose range of ivermectin for dogs is 0.003-0.006 milligrams/kg body weight (1kg=2.2 lb) or 3-6 micrograms/kg of body weight. All calculations below use the higher dose of 6 micrograms / kg of body weight or 2.72 micrograms / pound of body weight.

3) Therefore a 100# dog (45.45kg) needs a 272 mcg dose: 45.45 kg x 6 mcg/kg = 272 mcg dose

4) The diluted solution prepared in step #1 contains 10,000 mcg / 10 ml or 1,000 mcg / 1 ml or 100 mcg / 0.1 ml therefore the dose in step #3 can easily be calculated: 272 mcg will be contained in 0.272 ml of the dilution prepared in step #1 which can accurately be measured using a 1 ml insulin or TB syringe which is graduated in tenths of a milliliter (0.1, 0.2, 0.3 ml), and which has 10 markings between each increment of 0.1, 0.2, etc. The 0.272 ml dose is measured by drawing up an amount past the 0.2 ml mark plus 7 of the smaller markings almost to the 0.3 ml mark.

5) Using the following formula, a proper dose can be calculated for any dog whose body weight is known:

_______ Weight of dog in pounds X dose of 2.72 micrograms per pound of body weight/1000 mcg per ml ivermectin dilution prepared in step #1 = dose in milliliters of dilution from step #1

Examples: A dog weighs 77 pounds so 77 x 2.72/1000 = 0.21 ml of dilution given in food once a month

A dog weighs 125 pounds so 125 x 2.72/1000 = 0.34 ml of the dilution given in food once a month

A dog weighs 12 pounds so 12 x 2.72/1000 = 0.03 ml of the dilution given in food once a month

I would use the diluted solution simply because of the 10 fold less chance of error. Measuring 0.21 ml is easily possible while measuring 0.021 ml is prone to error. I would prepare the dilution fresh each season and discard any unused diluted solution at the end of the season. I have read that ivermectin is photolabile meaning it is destroyed by light so both it and the dilution should be stored in a cool, dark place at or below room temperature. It does not seem necessary to refrigerate the solution or the diluted solution.

Yay or nay??

xpaeanx

Um... I just do 1/10cc per 10lbs using the 1% solution.

I haven't had any problems. And if you have any worries of mdr1, the test is $75.

ETA: a lot of MDR1 m/m use ivermectin for heartworm without issue. The problem seems to come from the higher doses used for mange. I personally probably would use something else if I knew my dog was m/m, but even the university that does the test says the small amount required for hw is ok.

I use a 3ml syringe & needle to draw it out of the vial. I also store mine in the dark box it came in, in the fridge. When I buy it it's not refrigerated, and the package doesn't say anything on it about refrigeration.

FG167

Well, I was thinking to dilute it because we have a Border Collie and a Kelpie. They have both been on Heartguard in the past without a problem so I was thinking of diluting it to that concentration. I may just run the tests on both of them AND dilute it...thoughts?

Storing in a dark place isn't enough, it should be in a dark bottle.
I did read it was light sensitive, so I will probably do dark bottle in fridge.

It doesn't need to be in a dark bottle if you just keep the bottle in the box it comes in and keep it in a cabinet. It doesn't need to be refrigerated, either.

crazedACD

Wal-Mart is actually selling a generic of Heartguard... Pet Trust Plus, it's about $5/pill (I think maybe like $23/6 pack). Just a suggestion if you don't want to go through the hassle of doing Ivomec.

Airn

Wal-Mart is actually selling a generic of Heartguard... Pet Trust Plus, it's about $5/pill (I think maybe like $23/6 pack). Just a suggestion if you don't want to go through the hassle of doing Ivomec.
Yep. Heartworm meds and topical flea and tick treatments are a lot cheaper there. If you go that route. I also only have one dog, though. It may not be as cost effective for 3+.

xpaeanx

Yep. Heartworm meds and topical flea and tick treatments are a lot cheaper there. If you go that route. I also only have one dog, though. It may not be as cost effective for 3+.
Yeah, 2 months of treating 4 dogs will pay for the whole bottle of ivermec.

Honestly, it's not that hard... I pull the dosage out of the vial and put it on a small piece of bread. That's it. Dilution can be added as an extra step that once gotten used to will be like an extra 30 seconds.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Honestly, it's not that hard... I pull the dosage out of the vial and put it on a small piece of bread. That's it. Dilution can be added as an extra step that once gotten used to will be like an extra 30 seconds.
Yup. I just squirt mine into my dog's breakfast on the day they're due. It's not complicated at all. I don't need to dilute but I don't think that's too hard either.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
What do you do to prevent intestinal parasites?
Panacur/Safe-Guard a.k.a Fenbendazole. You can buy the powder at most pet stores, but if you're doing it regularly it's cheaper to use the liquid kind (I was actually just looking this up, coincidentally), the 10% suspension for cattle/horses/goats, specifically. The dosage is 1mL per 5 lbs of body weight, for 3 consecutive days.

xpaeanx

^yup. :)

Which I also keep refrigerated right next to my ivermec even though that bottle just says to store below 77F. LOL. I think I just like having both together an the only place in my house with any sort of "climate control" is the fridge. HaHa.

FG167

Panacur/Safe-Guard a.k.a Fenbendazole. You can buy the powder at most pet stores, but if you're doing it regularly it's cheaper to use the liquid kind (I was actually just looking this up, coincidentally), the 10% suspension for cattle/horses/goats, specifically. The dosage is 1mL per 5 lbs of body weight, for 3 consecutive days.
This is the dosage for the 10% suspension? Where do you buy it from? 3 days once a month?

xpaeanx

I buy mine at tractor supply bc it's literally about 1 mile from the house and I'm lazy. HaHa.

But you can get it on amazon or Jeffers or any livestock supply store really.

And yes to dosage and days.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
This is the dosage for the 10% suspension? Where do you buy it from? 3 days once a month?
I don't really worm adult dogs for intestinal worms unless I suspect some reason to, so I definitely wouldn't be doing it once a month unless I had a puppy or a dog at risk for some reason. I think the traditional recommendation is like every six months or something, though, for adult dogs.

ETA: I get most of my stuff like that through Jeffers. :)

Members online

No members online now.