Lady clones five pups from her pit bull.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
Saw this when I opened my e-mail.
http://news.aol.com/article/woman-gets-five-clones-of-her-pitbull/118644?icid=100214839x1207232317x1200353710

SEOUL, South Korea (Aug. 5) - Booger is back.
An American woman received five puppies Tuesday that were cloned from her beloved late pitbull, becoming the inaugural customer of a South Korean company that says it is the world's first successful commercial canine cloning service.

Seoul-based RNL Bio said the clones of Bernann McKinney's dog Booger were born last week after being cloned in cooperation with a team of Seoul National University scientists who created the world's first cloned dog in 2005.
"It's a miracle!" McKinney repeatedly shouted Tuesday when she saw the cloned Boogers at a Seoul National University laboratory.
"Yes, I know you! You know me, too!" McKinney said joyfully, hugging the puppies, which were sleeping with one of their two surrogate mothers, both Korean mixed breed dogs.
The team of scientists working for RNL Bio is headed by Lee Byeong-chun, a former colleague of disgraced scientist Hwang Woo-suk, who scandalized the international scientific community when his purported breakthroughs in cloned stem cells were revealed as fake in 2005.
Independent tests confirmed the 2005 dog cloning was genuine, and Lee's team has since cloned more than 20 canines.
But RNL Bio said that its cloning was the first successful commercial cloning of a canine.
"RNL Bio is commencing its worldwide services with Booger as its first successful clone," the company said in a statement.
McKinney contacted Lee after Booger died of cancer in April 2006. She had earlier asked U.S.-based Genetics Savings and Clone to clone her dog but the company shut down due to lack of demand in late 2006 after only producing a handful of cloned cats and failing to produce any dog clones.
The Korean scientists brought the dog's frozen cells to Seoul in March and nurtured them before launching formal cloning work in late May, according to RNL Bio.
Lee's team have identified the puppies as Booger's genuine clones, and his university's forensic medicine team is currently conducting reconfirmation tests.
McKinney said she was especially attached to Booger because he saved her life when she was attacked by another dog three times his size. The incident resulted in her left hand being mutilated, and injured her leg nerves and stomach. Doctors later reconstructed her hand and she spent part of her recovery in a wheelchair.

Boemy

I find this kind of thing creepy. Everyone loves their pets, but . . . loss is a part of life. Love your pet, cherish his memory, but work on moving on and brightening the life of another pet. God knows there are enough pit bulls who need loving homes!

"Yes, I know you! You know me, too!" McKinney said joyfully, hugging the puppies.
No, they don't. They just met you for the first time. Just because they were cloned from your dog doesn't mean they magically "know" you. Arrrrrgh. :mad:

I feel sorry for the dogs. She clearly expects them to be exactly like her former dog . . . God help them if they end up with different personalities due to environmental factors.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Does this remind anyone of that Arnold Swarzenegger movie with "Re-pet" the dog cloning thing in it?
Loss is inevitable. But that's one of the joys of life. Your friend has a good life and passes away, eventually you get another friend that doesn't have the same spot in your heart but a new one all of their own.
I don't think we should be messing with mother nature like this to be honest, in the wild it's survival of the fittest and nature, while cruel, has selection of which animals are to reproduce and thrive while others do not.

In the original article it stated that Booger died of cancer. So, will she endure the heartache of those puppies cloned from Booger being genetically predisposed to cancer?

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I do have to wonder . . .what on Earth does she intend to do with FIVE genetically identical dogs. I can understand, in a sense, though I do not approve, wanting a clone of your beloved pet . . . but FIVE?

Miakoda

The odd thing about clones is they don't necessarily look exactly alike their predecessors, For example, there are around 20 cloned "famous" Quarter Horses out there. And they all look somewhat difference than the horse they are supposed to be-again. For example, one has a blaze where the true horse did not, 1 is quite bigger than it's 'original'...etc. Although many look very similar, so much so that it can leave you in awe at times, they are net technically the same in looks.

And who knows how they actually act when compared to the predecessors. The temperament and personality has shown to vary somewhat.

So all-in-all, this woman is an idiot and now she's a homeless idiot with more dogs to take care of than she can possibly handle.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
Lilavati, she wants to keep three and give the other two as service dogs.
:rofl1:Just what the service dog community is clamoring for- pit bulls :rofl1:

Although many look very similar, so much so that it can leave you in awe at times, they are net technically the same in looks.

And who knows how they actually act when compared to the predecessors. The temperament and personality has shown to vary somewhat.
Wow, that's weird. Wonder what is going on there? Is a blaze environmentally influenced?

Did anyone of you hear the NPR All Things Considered story about the cloned bull? Priceless. They cloned him bc he was exceptionally gentle and they all loved him. His clone was mean and gored everyone.

So all-in-all, this woman is an idiot and now she's a homeless idiot with more dogs to take care of than she can possibly handle.
Why is she homeless?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think if you have that much money to spend on cloning, you're not going to be out on the streets becaues of it...

I don't know what to think of the overall cloning...too many factors come into play in making your dog "your dog". I could clone Sawyer and he would probably end up looking completely different and not act like "Sawyer". Genetics is still a crap shoot of chance. Just look at the differenences in normal litters...they're all working with the same genes there and we all know how varied litters can be.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Last I heard, its about a quarter of a million . . . the dogs probably all came under that price because I suspect they were "spares" made to insure success.

Price may have dropped though, but I get its still over 100,000

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
well she sold her home...so that'd be one reason some might think she is homeless. I don't know if they said anythign about her living situation now. But GOOD LUCK finding places to rent with 3-5 bully breed dogs.

And she is assuming the others will be SUITABLE for service dog work. Really? They are guinea pig size now...she cannot possibly know that they will have the temperament and drive to be working/service dogs. What's the plan when they don't? I see "Amazing clone dogs for sale $20,000" ads in her future.

Imagine raising 3-5 puppies til adulthood in your home...:yikes:

I agree she should have adopted 3-5 lookalikes...her odds of getting a dog like her old one are likely...better going that route given the innate lovely temperament of most bully/amstaff/ type dogs.

Miakoda

Wow, that's weird. Wonder what is going on there? Is a blaze environmentally influenced?
Ok, smartass. Do your own research then. Or do you know how...................

Second, it states she sold her home. I was being a tad bit sarcastic when I said she was now homeless, but there's a good chance-I would say-that she no longer owns her home.

And your comment about our "vicious blood-thirsty child killing monsters" being service dogs was not just a bit rude, but downright ignorant. I take it you hate all "pit bulls" and think all us owners are drug-dealing gang-banging criminals, eh?

Never mind...........what was I thinking............You can't fight stupid.

Members online