Really Worried..Constant Bouts of Diarrhea!

Blossom my Golden Retriever is 5months old. Seems pretty healthy most days. She and my other Golden Retriever (female spayed) Petals who is 2 yrs old get along famously. At any rate, Blossom is on Science Diet puppy dry and has been since we got her from breeder. Somewhere around a month or so ago I noticed that just about 1-2xs per week Blossom was having bad diarrhea where it was shooting out of her. Off to the vet........got antibiotic it would work and she would seem better then all of a sudden relapse. We then realized that Blossom was tearing apart our carpet and thought perhaps she was eating and causing diarrhea. Removed her from any way of getting carpet.....still have problem. Now I thought maybe it was the Pet Tab vitamins I give her daily. Mind you my other dog has NO SYMPTOMS. I removed the vitamins.......still problem one or two times a week. Only take Blossom out front to do business that's it. Gave her bland diet of chicken and rice and it seemed to work then she would have bout of diarrhea again.Could it be her puppy food? Seems unlikely to me, as she seems to be able to tolerate it at some times. Also diarrhea seems to only come in the evenings. She is EXTREMELY ACTIVE even with the diarrhea and wants to eat and drink and play. Really worrying.

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I also have dog who gets diarrhea every so often and he has what is called "sensitive intestines" try switching foods very slowly or you will have tons of diarrhea I know I did it to fast!! and I had it all over my new white carpet anyways science diet is a good food but they have one for sensitive dogs I will have to look and see what it is called I will post again to let you know anyways if your dog does have this nothing else other than dry dog food and I mean nothing (no table scraps, treats (if you want to give treats give kibbles of dog food (they don't know the difference), nothing) and you will find that her diarrhea will go away somewhat but she may always have bouts of it

First things first. Get her off the Science DIEt. It's bargain basement food with a vet waiting room price tag. There's excellent nutritional advice available at www.greatdanelady.com , and there are LOTS of threads about it here on Chazhound as well. LOL! You don't even want to get us started on that again, MrBauersWife.

She may have a canine version of irritable bowel syndrome. Be sure to read up about probiotics on the Great Dane Lady site.

Update on Blossom

Got really worried yesterday so I took her to the Vet regarding her on again off again bouts of diarrhea. They are running a stool sample. Gave me some Albon said it would treat her diarrhea and also if she happens to still have worms as she had some before will treat those too. In the meantime, I was told to switch her food to the Prescription Hills Brand W/D. Not that big a deal since my other doggie has sensitive belly and has been on it all her life but we add some regular Science Diet to hers. We were told to add NOTHING to Blossom's portion. So far so good, semi regular bowel movements. Slept through the night last night.

bogolove

Chicken can also cause allergies, I think. My friend's dog is allergic, so she has to be on lamb and rice. They also make duck and potatoes (I can't remember the brand) for dogs. I have another friend whose dog is on the duck and potatoes because her dog also has an allergy to chicken. It may not be that case with yours, but just a suggestion, since it sounds like it is something she is eating. I hope you find out what it is soon.

Constant Diarrhea

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I got both my gals off the Science Diet. I found this great new food. It is all Natural,nothing we can't pronounce is added ;) The site is www.healthypetnet.com/SherriBauer I absolutely love this food so much and mydogs love it and have done a complete turn around as far as the little one getting diarrhea. All gone. I owe it all to this great food. I even became a distributor for them, you can too. Or you can just treat your dogs to a wonderfully Superior Diet at a Bargain Price. It has wonderful stuff like Grape Seed Extract among other things. What it doesn't have is even better than what it does. No BHT or BHA. No artificial preservatives. The great thing is it cost just about maybe a few dollars less than Science Diet :cool: Even though it has no artificial anything, it stores just as well as the so called Premium brands like Science Diet and Eukanuba. It stores in a sealed container for at least 12 months. Give it a try. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Members online

No members online now.