Find a breed for my mom!

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
My mom is looking for an easy going, cuddly dog. I will be helping her to find a nice little rescue, but I can't think of a good place to start!

She's got fibromyalgia, so a smaller dog is necessary as she is pretty weak. Think between 15-35 pounds. No teacup dogs. Generally good with other dogs and people. Will get daily walks and a nice backyard along with basic training, but nothing extensive. Generally healthy as well! Mixes and general rescue mutts are totally fine, but like I said I just can't think of anywhere to start.

Stingr69

Papillon Fan
There are a lot of Papillons in the available rescue pool now. Sounds like a very good option. They probably won't last long but you could check with the 2 rescue organizations that have them. See the thread about the Hazelbaker auction for the links.

Not that I am breed biased or anything. ;)

-Mark.

FG167

My brother has this exact dog. He just searched for size in Petfinder (well I did it for him), and age, and then went off photos and description to go meet them. Cutest little dog, good with everyone and everything, young, pleasant, etc. He tried to search for breeds first and wasn't finding anything. When I broadened the search to size and age and temperament, he had numerous to choose from.

xpaeanx

Around here we have a few rescues that specialize in small breeds... Maybe see if there are any like that around you?

For specific breeds IDK though, I don't know. But if she's not set on a breed and wants a rescue then I would just start looking at local rescues and CL for dogs that fit her needs. Unless she wants a puppy... Then IDK. LOL.

meepitsmeagan

I don't spend much time on petfinder, didn't know you could search by size!

She does not want a puppy, though. :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah I'd find a nice rescue dog and not pay much attention to breed. A chi mix, shih Tzu, poodle, pap, sheltie, whatever could work if it's the right dog.

A lot of poodle mixes we get in at the rescue I volunteer at are Amazing dogs. Great cuddlers, don't shed, and a lot of them don't have a lot of energy. People always snatch them up right away. We have a girl in the rescue right now that will lay on her back in your arms like a baby. They are also generally really easy going and LOVE people.

Good luck to your mom!

My mom is looking for an easy going, cuddly dog. I will be helping her to find a nice little rescue, but I can't think of a good place to start!

She's got fibromyalgia, so a smaller dog is necessary as she is pretty weak. Think between 15-35 pounds. No teacup dogs. Generally good with other dogs and people. Will get daily walks and a nice backyard along with basic training, but nothing extensive. Generally healthy as well! Mixes and general rescue mutts are totally fine, but like I said I just can't think of anywhere to start.
My friend hasn't told about this much yet but she used to have a Tibetan spaniel, Lissu. She was very nice and cuddly. Lissu liked people very much including children. She always wanted everyone to pet her. So, Lissu was rather like a cat. She was also very stubborn and independent. :) That's why my friend couldn't even train her but otherwise she was nice. My friend can tell more about Lissu if you want to know something about her.

My friend doesn't know what kind of mixes you have but she knows someone that has a Tibetan spaniel/Pekingese mix. S/he also is a little stubborn. My friend hasn't met her/him much so she's not sure if s/he is nice. S/he is a little vary of strangers though.

So, my friend has nowadays a Cavalier King Charles spaniel, Lotta. She's very nice. Lotta likes people very much including children. :) She always goes to everyone and wants them to pet her. My friend has read that Cavaliers should be easy to train but Lotta often acts silly when my friend is trying to train her.

meepitsmeagan

Thanks all! Spaniels are definitely in the running. We've found a few dogs to take a look at, so I'll keep you updated. :)

milos_mommy

This is a bit old, but I would look for a shih tzu mix, or search for one of those odd little poodle/designer mixes - cockapoo, cavachon, shih poo, or a havenese (the ones I've known have been slightly more energetic than the shihs and cockapoos.

A cavalier sounds like an awesome fit but the health problems are really sad :(

Members online

No members online now.