More food questions

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
1. How important are the kcal amounts in the food? As a general rule I know the higher the amount the less you have to feed, but what is considered "low", "normal", and "high"? Most of the brands I'm looking at average around 325-375 kcal/cup. My dogs are active pets, but that's about it. LOL

2. Is it worth choosing the higher kcal/cup over higher quality ingredients, or should higher quality ingredients come first before kcal/cup?

3. When should I stop caring about the Ca:p ratios for a large breed dog? For example, I was just taking a peek at the TOTW formulas and most of their ratios are around 2:1. I don't want to feed Abrams a food that is going to impact his growth in any way, and I'm not sure when he's technically going to be done growing!
(Also, may be interesting to note: TOTW is no longer an ALS food. Their puppy foods are AAFCO listed as all life stage, but their adult foods have been relabeled maintenance only.)

4. If Abrams showed prior sensitivity to eating a Chicken/Rice based food, but can eat any treat or table scraps he wants without any issue, when would it be appropriate to try a food that isn't salmon/fish based? Or should I not? It is just such a pain trying to find a food that is salmon/fished based, and it is severely limiting my options. But, I'd rather have limited options than a diarrhea dog! ^^

5. When is it acceptable to switch a large breed puppy to a maintenance diet?

I am really hoping my financial situation improves and I can continue to afford feeding the TOTW Pacific Stream, as both of the dogs are doing fantastic on it. But, the price recently jumped to $55 for a 30 pound bag, and that is something I can't comfortably afford to feed right now...once Mike has an income it will be different, but for now I need to look for something else. I might just bite the bullet and do it anyway (I'll just have to eat Ramen), but if I can find a happy alternative, I'll do that instead.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Order your TOTW from www.chewy.com

It's only $44.99 a bag. No tax. Free shipping over $49 (I always get 2 bags). If you do autoship the first time you order, you get another 15% off the price. You can always cancel the autoship once you get your order if you decide not to do it; there's no penalty for cancelling after you get your first shipment.

Here's a link to the page: http://www.chewy.com/dog/taste-wild-pacific-stream-dry-dog/dp/30076

My friend's two dogs for some reason can't eat food with chicken in it, but they can eat chicken she cooks up. One dog was able to switch to some food with chicken after about 2 years old; the other one still can't do chicken in food.

I usually switched from puppy food around 6 months old.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
I usually look at ingredients before kcal a cup. However with Adele she eats Pro Plan sport, because it's the highest calorie food I can get locally and she just wasn't maintaining a weight I was comfortable with on other foods.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
If you like TOTW try looking at the 4health line at tractor supply. I believe they have a grain free line with some similar formulas now (I could be mistaken but it wouldn't hurt to check) for a lower price.

Members online

No members online now.