Cat doing #1 outside the box.

I can't figure this out. Moxy, our middle cat, started tinkling outside her box about a month ago. We have 3 boxes for the 3 cats and we keep them clean. I've ruled out any health problems, the Vet says she's got none of the diseases that show this symptom and she's as healthy as a horse.

Any ideas?

-Kev

Did she start doing this before or after you brought Josie home?

Cats are usually making a comment when they do stuff like that. You know how they are! My Gonzo cat used the toilet. He let us all know what he thought of Roger the now-ex-what-took-me-so-long-was-I-blind-or-merely-stupid boyfriend. Anytime Roger headed for the bathroom, Gonzo raced ahead of him and jumped up on the seat and used the toilet first. THAT'S a commentary! That's a cat for you.

Renee750il said:
Did she start doing this before or after you brought Josie home?

Cats are usually making a comment when they do stuff like that. You know how they are! My Gonzo cat used the toilet. He let us all know what he thought of Roger the now-ex-what-took-me-so-long-was-I-blind-or-merely-stupid boyfriend. Anytime Roger headed for the bathroom, Gonzo raced ahead of him and jumped up on the seat and used the toilet first. THAT'S a commentary! That's a cat for you.

No, this started a month before we got the dog.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Whoa, between Josie and these cats you've got your hands full. :p

My cat used to do that.. I found that training him to use his litter box was a lot like training a dog: when I would catch him in the act, I'd tell him NO, and carry him to his box.

What kind of litter are you using? Sometimes that makes all the difference. Some cats don't like clumping litter, some don't like traditional pellet-like litter, some don't like 'good mews' and the such.. Mine for example HATE fresh steps and any other scented litter, and on the one occasion that I used it, they went right NEXT to the box. :p

Debi

I, too, was going to ask about the litter. I tried a scented brand and my cat said 'no way'! She will only use traditional clay litter. Also agreeing.....that is making some type of statement. My niece's cat did that when it was depressed, it also sat and stared at the wall for hours (what a strange animal). I've heard a cat will behave in this way if there is ANYTHING different.....such as if the litter box was moved to a new location, moving, a new addition to the house. Cats are so very sensitive to change. Maybe try a covered litter box (if you don't have one).....cats seem to like them better.

Gotta share this with you guys.

A friend of mine had a big black cat named Albert, whose particular feline phobia was anyone else using his litterbox. He was so obsessive about it that if anyone went into the bathroom where he litterbox was, he'd either run in with you and sit between you and the box, just daring you to use HIS BOX, or, if he didn't make it in before the door shut, he'd sit outside the door and howl, then the minute the door opened, would run in and start rummaging around in the litter box to make absolutely certain his personal toilet hadn't been despoiled.

Debi

My cat is really fussy about her box, too. When my daughter moved home for a brief time, I had to keep her cat's box 2 floors away from my cat's VERY private domain! LOL Heaven forbid another cat should come near. :rolleyes: I clean my cat's box daily........my hubby says that's just 'me'...but it is truly the cat..SHE'S THAT FUSSY.

I've known people with cats that wouldn't use a box if it wasn't cleaned between each 'visit' !!! In my view of the world, a cat that picky just needs to learn to use the commode. ;)

Members online